Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New Stereo Installed - What a Difference!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 03:07 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
Good thing it has a remote, with the large interiors of our 993s, sometimes it's difficult to reach all the way over and adjust the stereo
Looks really nice, how about a pic with it turned on?
First picture is in garage with all lights off, just to show the colors - it doesn't look nearly that bad in person, the camera picks up the colors and washes everything else out!

Other pics are in normal light - also looks better and more clear in person, but it gives you an idea. As far as the remote, I can already think of a good use for it - every year I go to Daytona for the 24 Hours, and sleep in my car with the seats reclined - now I can listen to the radio without getting up! (Other than that, can't think of a good use for a remote in a car radio!)

Last edited by pcar964; 12-04-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you replace the crappy rear speakers with Infinity Kappa reference series speakers these make a big difference. A good, basic Alpine system gives fantastic quality for the price.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:26 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As for the brand of head unit, I'm not saying the Pioneer is the way to go, I'm sure many brands have excellent, low-priced units that are comparable (and probably better than my Pioneer). For my $125, it's worth it to buy at Best Buy around the corner and be done with it - I'm sure if I researched a bit more I could find a slightly better unit (maybe the Alpine) for the same price, though.

Do the Infinity Kappas fit in the rear and allow the factory speaker covers to clip back into place? I don't even think I want to put rear speakers back in, the fronts are more than I need already. The rears are just used for "fill" anyway.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Hi PCar,

No diss intended. You can get a good, basic Alpine head unit for $200/$250 so a bit more than Pioneer but not much. The Infinity speakers slot straight into the spaces and you can bolt the original speaker covers over them. They will sit on top of the plate that the speaker components are set into but you can barely see this. If you want to make a really professional finish you just have to tape round the edges of the speaker.

I've just checked and Crutchfield do them though they are more than I remembered ( $150) but they are very good.

Infinity Kappa 462.7cfp
4"x6" 2-way plate speakers
Item #1084627CFP

Cheers,

David
Old 09-28-2005, 04:51 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks David, believe me no "diss" taken, I know that I was a little impuslive with my choice of head units, I only "shopped" at one store!

The Kappas look like they're great units, but how much is to be gained from adding these? If you only use the front speakers, then fade in the rears, how much better is it? Wish I didn't throw away my factory paper speakers, at least I could have gotten an idea.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Smile

They are light and day compared to the original speakers. I like a slight rearward bias when I listen in the car and because of the angle of the rear window seem to be able to give a reasonable bit of bass (though nothing compared to using a sub). I haven't quite got round to putting my front speakers in which is perhaps a good recommendation for the rear speakers!

Cheers,

David

PS I got cheaper Pioneer speakers for my old BMW (same size as the 911) and they made a huge difference (only about $90/ $100). I think these would fit in the rear speaker covers if you didn't want the sandwich.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:18 PM
dpkoby
Advanced

pcar964-
It's refreshing to see a sound system review for the vast middle ground between the factory POS system and the > $2k audiophile systems that most people have described. I would think most of us use the stereo as background sound and don't need or (in my case) don't have the ears to appreciate the hyper-expensive systems. I never dreamed that a $200 system could make such a significant difference. Thanks for the info
Dave
Old 09-29-2005, 01:36 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dave - glad to share

I honestly didn't expect such an improvement for so little $, and like many I'm not in a position to spend thousands on car audio when it's not that important to me. I just wanted something I could hear clearly and enjoy on long trips, and got way more than I expected.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Racer944
Racer

Hey guys;

Just curious... While I'm certainly no audiophile, I do like good clear sound in my cars... Funny thing is that in my 1995, I was surprised to find the sound system is pretty darn good! I have the CR1 headunit, but I believe my car has the upgraded Hi Fi sound option as I have more extensive/bigger door speakers, and my back units have a buldge in them.

What would be the difference, do I have bigger amps/more power? Perhaps my ears are just shot! ;-)

Eric
Old 09-29-2005, 12:57 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Eric,

While I don't know the specs of the hi-fi system, I know that it has 10 speakers and a Nokia amp under the passenger seat. I'm sure the Amp makes up for the weak head unit and gives the speakers ample power. I always thought the hifi sound option came with the controls for the Amp in the driver's door pocket, does yours have this?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:11 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

One addition to your tips list: Speaker efficiency matters a lot when you're powering them solely by the head unit. Many speakers are designed for the 1000W Honda guys, and need lots of power to sound good. Spending extra on super efficient speakers (go by their sensitivity-dB rating) will make your system sound much better without an external amp.

I have four very efficient Infinity Kappas, including component fronts, in my other car powered by an Alpine head unit, and the sound is remarkable for such a "lightweight" system.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Racer944
Racer

Originally Posted by pcar964
Eric,

While I don't know the specs of the hi-fi system, I know that it has 10 speakers and a Nokia amp under the passenger seat. I'm sure the Amp makes up for the weak head unit and gives the speakers ample power. I always thought the hifi sound option came with the controls for the Amp in the driver's door pocket, does yours have this?

I don't have controls in the door pocket, but I do appear to have 10 speakers, a CD changer, and the amp. Mine is an early 95 so it could be a hybrid of sorts... sounds pretty decent actually. Your solution though sounds ideal for those with the normal (inadequate) system.

Eric
Old 09-29-2005, 02:49 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I too have the hi-fi stereo and do not have any controls in the door pocket.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:39 PM
lowblow
Racer

P-Car-

Hey How Bout them GATORS!!!!. Big game this weekend!.

Anyway, I felt the same way about the sound system, (if you can call it that), in our cars. I simply replaced the rear speakers as the P.O had already replaced the fronts with a descent set of JL Audios. Anyway, the sound is only marginally better.

My car has the single CD player without the amp from the Hi-Fi package.

It sounds like the only thing I need to do is replace the head unit and I should be set. I, like you, am not prepared to spend 3K on a stereo that I barely use.

Mike
Old 09-29-2005, 05:12 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lowblow
P-Car-

Hey How Bout them GATORS!!!!. Big game this weekend!.

Anyway, I felt the same way about the sound system, (if you can call it that), in our cars. I simply replaced the rear speakers as the P.O had already replaced the fronts with a descent set of JL Audios. Anyway, the sound is only marginally better.

My car has the single CD player without the amp from the Hi-Fi package.

It sounds like the only thing I need to do is replace the head unit and I should be set. I, like you, am not prepared to spend 3K on a stereo that I barely use.

Mike
Mike,

I have a good feeling this year with the Gators!!

Are you coming to SBBC this Saturday? I'll be there, if you want to check the stereo out yourself...

Quick Reply: New Stereo Installed - What a Difference!!