Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Christmas in September???

Get a load of this!
I don't even know where to begin.
Here was my original thread where I thought I had a RS DME chip in my car but was afraid it was the wrong one: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/228860-well-i-have-a-chip-in-my-car-but-it-s-the-wrong-one.html
To make a long story short, I thought I had an incorrect Rennsport systems chip installed by the PO in my car. I called Steve and we talked about all sorts of things (he likes long walks in the park... ...I like cats and butterflies -that sort of thing) and he reassured me the chip would not do any harm if the car was already running ok. As we're talking he said something about "GIAC" and for some reason I thought I had seen that somewhere in my car. Steve says "yes, all my chips come in a little box with "GIAC" written on it.

I get off the phone and am determined to see if my car has this Rennsport chip in it or not. As I'm pondering the depth of the universe and such I start to remember seeing a box with "GIAC" in my trunk when I first bought the car. I remembered thinking it must have been a complimentary breathe mint container from General Motors Automotive Financing or something. So I dig around and found it. I open it up and what do I find? A little chip sitting in foam. This one also has "GIAC" written on it.

“But, if this chip is here... ...what's in there” <as I quizzically glanced from the box in my hand to the seat of the car>

So, I yank out the seat and remove the DME.

I open it up and ... ... well, there was a chip. So, which one's which? Another call to my benefactor, Mr. Steve... "hey, what the hell's goin' on here?"

As best we could tell, the PO got this chip from somewhere and never installed it. So, I have the factory chip in the car and have been driving around with a Rennsport systems chip in the trunk for a year.

But, the DME number on the chip matched the slip I had in my records. It was intended for a DME #0.261.203.163
I have #0.251.203.674 in my car. So will this #163 chip work in a #674 car?
Steve said "give it a shot."

This was super easy because I already had everything apart trying to figure out what was going on.

[Unplug - Plug - Done]

Steve said it would either work or it wouldn't at all. My DME (#674) is an Immobilizer DME and the #167 was a pre-immobilizer DME. *But*, my car is not equipped with an immobilizer so it was anyone's guess if the DME would work correctly.

The car fired right up.

So, I put everything back together and decide to take it for a spin. The roads were damp from a light rain earlier in the day but were not soaked. As I'm tooling around waiting for the engine to come to temp. I'm thinking to myself "So, I had a car which I didn't know had a chip in it until like last week, only to find out it did not have a chip in it, but I had a chip in the trunk, so now it does have a chip in it."

Now this is the really cool part.
I know a few of you are suspicious of chips for different reasons. What I give to you now is the uninflated truth, as best I know how. While I was driving, I was even thinking about how it is so easy to let the imagination carry you away when it comes to modifications. It'd be like if I installed a K&N air filter in my car, went for a drive and thought I perceived a difference. Most likely it's all in my head because I'm expecting/anticipating a difference. So, just so you know, I already had this in my mind. I tried really hard to erase all expectations from my head and really wanted to know if I could feel a distinguishable difference.

As I'm thinking this, I was approaching a corner that I take every day to and from work. I've rounded this corner more times than I care to think. I instinctually know my entrance speed, braking distance, etc. Hell, I even know the two slight bumps at mid corner and the feel that is transmitted through the steering wheel from them.
So, needless to say, "I know this corner."

At the point where I usually hammer the gas to power though my favorite little twisty, I jam the accelerator. The RPM's climbed almost completely normal until somewhere around 3,800/4,000 RPM. I say somewhere because I lost my concentration when the rear wheels broke free. This scared the holy bejesus out of me and my heart was racing. I've done the exact same thing countless times and not ONCE have I lost traction like that. I slowed down... my heart was still pounding but my shaking turned into laughter. So, I checked traffic, there was none (remember I live in Montana) put the car in second and floored it. Again, she pulled nice and strong until about 3,800 rpm and everything went to hell. The tires broke free again for a moment. Now I'm laughing and shaking like a stoned bunny rabbit. I am amazed that not only did I notice a difference, but that it was enough to break the tires free like that.

I'm sold. I don't care what anyone says at this point. I know Lauren doesn't care for chips and Ray had a bad experience with one on a 3.2, but damn guys. These things do make a noticeable difference.
I understand that my findings are not scientific and probably hold no weight with many of you. Bottom line is: I LOVE it. I absolutely cannot wait to get that RS clutch and LWF in this badboy over the winter.

And I also want to note, when Steve and I weren't sure if the chip would work with the DME or not, Steve told me not to worry. If the chip (that I didn't buy) didn't work in my car, he would exchange it for one that did. HA! Hu'h? Really???

EDIT: Steve Weiner, I would consider having your baby, if I were a chick.

And for the record, here is where this little jewel has been hiding for god knows how long:

WARNING: The following photograph is a recreation of actual events. The scene was reconstructed with particular emphasis on historical accuracy.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Leland Pate; 09-23-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Great story.

You're invited.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:18 PM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it....
Old 09-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
Steve Weiner, I want to have your baby.
But this line has me more than a little worried.

You better be a chick...
Old 09-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Great story.

You're invited
Wow, Mike... I ... I don't know what to say... ...I'm honored.
Guess I have to change my signature... again.

But this line has me more than a little worried.

You better be a chick...
You make a valid point. I have corrected the lapse in my alternate lifestyle remark.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

You have chosen well, Grasshopper.

Perhaps our teammates have a suggestion for your team title...
Old 09-23-2005, 11:50 PM
911XTC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, thats graet. I'm glad your happy w/the chip.
And I must say I'm glad I read your post. Usually when I see a post that long my first reaction is to skip it, but this was truly entertaining. Its been a really hard week and I didn't think anything was going to make me smile today. Thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
You have chosen well, Grasshopper.

Perhaps our teammates have a suggestion for your team title...
Title......"stoned bunny rabbit"?
Old 09-24-2005, 12:06 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

I noted that line as well Fill

Leland, Phil is one of the elder statesmen of the Turtle Pond, I'd take his suggestion into careful consideration
Old 09-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

So this is what has become of the SCWDP founder/leader/evil mastermind???

Demoted to "Stoned Bunny Feet!?"

...the horror.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:16 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Leland

Times change. We all have to have the courage to face it
Old 09-24-2005, 02:05 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 926 Likes on 560 Posts

Well Lee, I hope to see you again at next year's Bogus Basin Hillclimb. May be a good idea to start looking for some kind of traction control. I know a Navy guy who could find you an anchor.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
So this is what has become of the SCWDP founder/leader/evil mastermind???

Demoted to "Stoned Bunny Feet!?"

...the horror.
not a demotion.........

well maybe it is. What does "SCWDP" stand for?
Old 09-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

You mean to tell me you've never heard of the 911SC World Domination Plot?

Well, at least my OPSEC people are doing their jobs.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:28 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

any estimate on how much hp this is supposed to add? i know it doesnt matter...you are happy with it, and that is what really matters...i am just curious how much the avg increase is claimed to be...

(perhaps i will try a search, too)...

Quick Reply: Christmas in September???