Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I have a chip in my car, but it's the wrong one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Well, I have a chip in my car, but it's the wrong one?

I emailed S.W last night concerning a rennsport systems chip in my car. I got suspicious because the invoice (in my records) said 964C2/4. When I looked up the DME p/n number for the chip it lists: 0.261.203.163
At first I thought, "Ok I have an early build 993 so maybe I have a 964 DME." Out of curiousity, I peeked under there and looked at the DME number for my car. It is listed as: 0.251.203.674

Hold the horses! I have the wrong chip. I emailed S.W. and he said I did in fact have the wrong chip for my DME but if it starts and runs, it should be fine.
Steve says the differences in the DME were mainly concerning the Immobilizer system.

Is it possible to do any harm to something for running this chip?
Should I/could I send it to scuba Steve for a ... ... ... whatever the hell they do to chips to make them work- reprogram?

I am also concerned about the fact this chip could have been programmed for 93 RON. I can only get 91 up here. Again, Steve says I should be fine at this altitude but I am still cocerned... I "will" eventually move.
This is the first "suprise" I've had since owning the car. I can only begin to imagine how it got in there.

I don't want to bug Steve as I know he's a very busy man. So I'm appealing to the collective wisdom of you smart guy tpyes out there.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:25 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm not mistaken, if the chip is tuned for 93 fuel and you run 91, the knock sensor will jump in and retard timing, therefore noticably reducing power. I don't know this for sure though.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
I emailed S.W last night concerning a rennsport systems chip in my car. I got suspicious because the invoice (in my records) said 964C2/4. When I looked up the DME p/n number for the chip it lists: 0.261.203.163
At first I thought, "Ok I have an early build 993 so maybe I have a 964 DME." Out of curiousity, I peeked under there and looked at the DME number for my car. It is listed as: 0.251.203.674

Hold the horses! I have the wrong chip. I emailed S.W. and he said I did in fact have the wrong chip for my DME but if it starts and runs, it should be fine.
Steve says the differences in the DME were mainly concerning the Immobilizer system.

Is it possible to do any harm to something for running this chip?
Should I/could I send it to scuba Steve for a ... ... ... whatever the hell they do to chips to make them work- reprogram?

I am also concerned about the fact this chip could have been programmed for 93 RON. I can only get 91 up here. Again, Steve says I should be fine at this altitude but I am still cocerned... I "will" eventually move.
This is the first "suprise" I've had since owning the car. I can only begin to imagine how it got in there.

I don't want to bug Steve as I know he's a very busy man. So I'm appealing to the collective wisdom of you smart guy tpyes out there.
Lee:

Call me,.......

You don't believe me when I tell you something,....

Call me,........
Old 09-22-2005, 11:10 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, but.....

I don't think it is going too far out on a limb to say the collective wisdom of the list is "Listen to Steve Weiner."

Jason
Old 09-22-2005, 11:27 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think it is going too far out on a limb to say the collective wisdom of the list is "Listen to Steve Weiner."
I couldn't agree more!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:04 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No no no... I've already asked Steve if I could father his baby. If Steve Weiner told me it'd be benificial to pour salt, sand and sawdust into my motor, I'd probably do it. I just don't think I need to tie up his day with "Hey Steve... so I've got this chip here..."

But I do need to price out that RS clutch package...
Old 09-23-2005, 12:43 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason M

Old 09-23-2005, 01:17 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have always known Steve W. to be friendly, accessible and competent. Just call him.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:12 AM
RL Technical Advisor

No no no... I've already asked Steve if I could father his baby. If Steve Weiner told me it'd be benificial to pour salt, sand and sawdust into my motor, I'd probably do it. I just don't think I need to tie up his day with "Hey Steve... so I've got this chip here..."
Brother Lee:

Hey man,.......call me anytime. Thats precisely what I'm here for; Product Support/Customer Service.

Thats my "Prime Directive". Thats what I do, you see?

If I cannot/will not support my customers and my products, I might as well go slice beef at an Arby's,.....

You know the number,....
Old 09-23-2005, 07:26 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

If I cannot/will not support my customers and my products, I might as well go slice beef at an Arby's,.....
HEY NOW! I work at Arby's!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:33 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by jdoc7
HEY NOW! I work at Arby's!
Need some help?
Old 09-24-2005, 02:48 AM
RL Technical Advisor

I think Lee is going to have an interesting story to tell after today,...
Old 09-24-2005, 12:52 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Steve Weiner told me it'd be benificial to pour salt, sand and sawdust into my motor, I'd probably do it.
I hear this will remove the dreaded CEL -no problem!!

Quick Reply: Well, I have a chip in my car, but it's the wrong one?