993 Forum 1995-1998

Faint buzzing sound ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 04:16 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Question Faint buzzing sound ...

Just in the last few days I have noticed a very faint buzzing sound coming from behind the instrument cluster or dash near the area of the analog clock. The sound is best described as if someone was running an ultra-quiet electric razor. The sound comes on with the ignition key and shuts off anywhere from ten seconds to two minutes after the ignition is turned off.

Searches on this matter in the archives have failed to provide anything sufficiently specific or conclusive. Although, there was some previous speculation that it has something to do with the CCU? What the heck needs to buzz away in there for a minute after I cut the ignition?

Anything to worry about since it's just a brand new sound? Perhaps I just need to get the wax cleaned out of my ears so I can't hear my brain working like this.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2005, 04:31 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

CCU sensor fan... perfectly normal.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kkim
CCU sensor fan... perfectly normal.
2nd that!
Old 09-13-2005, 04:36 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Kelly/Phil, thanks for your response. I thought it would likely be something innocent/normal for these crazy German engineers, but still wonder why it is suddenly more noticeable. Also if it keeps getting louder, it will become an issue.

Regards,
Old 09-13-2005, 04:51 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug,

While some noise is normal, if you have noticed that it makes more noise recently, perhaps a bearing for the fan is going out or it may be dirty. Here is one of many posts from the archives on the subject...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=cleaning+ccu

Is it worth the effort? Entirely up to you and how much the noise bothers you to find out.

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2005, 05:55 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug, thanks for posting. I was wondering the same thing. Although mine's not buzzing, I guess I didn't really notice it until lately.
Kelly and Phil thanks for the reassurance that nothing's wrong.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:29 AM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Load buzz!

I get a buzzing sound, but it's quite load and I think it's coming from the fuel pump. It happens when I trun the ignition on and will stay buzzing for about 30 seconds, even if I don't turn the engine on. It also happens every so often when I'm idling for a few seconds (I'm sure it does it when I'm going along but I can't hear it over the engine noise ). If I press the brake when it's buzzing and the engine is off the buzzing dies down - could it be something to do with brake pressure?
Is this normal? I've only owned the car for 2 months and it's done it since day one. The PPI never mentioned it so I assumed it was normal.
Bottom line - is it something I should get checked before I get left stranded?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:34 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

I suppose if it's the fuel pump it could end up stranding you. To differentiate, note whether the noise continues with the ignition off and key pulled out (if it continues, likely it's this annoying ccu sensor fan). Also listen for the noise with the trunk open (if it's louder up there it may be the fuel pump). Good luck,
Old 09-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No noise at all from mine. OR... oops, I don't have one! Weight watchers please!

Quick Reply: Faint buzzing sound ...