Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Replaced All Spark Plugs W/O Taking Anything Apart!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005 | 05:26 PM
JM993
Banned

I was motivated by extreme laziness. You guys are right, removing all that stuff to get to the plug is a PITA. Thought I'd give an alternative a try

Joe

Last edited by JM993; 03-14-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2005 | 05:55 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe,
Thanks for detailing the steps. That plugs, along with the rest of the 60K service is on my list for the spring. I'll follow in your foot steps.

This is what makes rennlist great!
Old 09-11-2005 | 07:23 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kkim
Take pics!! TogaVision rides again!

This year, my son decided for me what will be my next "winter project"!!!
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2005 | 04:22 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toga

This year, my son decided for me what will be my next "winter project"!!!
Did you just buy it like that or did his inherited paternal driving skills cause the damage?

I bought a similar car for my son years ago for his high school graduation present. They are easy and fun to work on compared to Pcars. I mean the spark plugs are right there staring you in the face when you open the hood!! What fun is that, eh?
Old 09-11-2005 | 04:28 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks to me like boy meets car, hood of car meets bumper of big ol puckup truck, dads wallet empties. Not looking forward to my three growing up and driving, that's for sure.
Old 09-11-2005 | 04:35 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Father of 3
Not looking forward to my three growing up and driving, that's for sure.
Think of it as "bonding" time working on the car together... or you'll go nuts!!
Old 09-11-2005 | 05:31 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kkim
Did you just buy it like that or did his inherited paternal driving skills cause the damage?

I bought a similar car for my son years ago for his high school graduation present. They are easy and fun to work on compared to Pcars. I mean the spark plugs are right there staring you in the face when you open the hood!! What fun is that, eh?
Thanks KKim! No in fact somebody didn't mark a stop sign at a cross road and...K boom! Only material damages. So not a big deal. I'll buy the spares from other written off Hondas and will try to arrange things "cheaply".
Old 09-11-2005 | 05:39 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

thanks for listing this exercise, i'll too be doing this service for the first time soon and every bit of info helps!

Jim
Old 09-11-2005 | 08:07 PM
JM993
Banned

Glad to give back. If have Rennlist to thank for my OBC retrofit (thanks Keith), keyless entry modification to factory alarm, etc etc.

Cheers,
Joe

Last edited by JM993; 03-14-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2007 | 05:44 PM
raycm
Instructor

Default spark plug color

I also replaced 12 plugs without removing anything except 2 ducts above distributors, air intake cover and hose, pan under engine, duct at cyl. #4 lower plug. Also replaced distributor caps and rotors. Approximately 8 hours for me.

What surprised me is the throttle response is obviously better. Here is one plug photo. They all looked just like this one. Cold but OK according to my spark plug diagnosis photos. The plugs were Beru and now Bosch FR5 DTC. The caps and rotors didn't look bad and I measured resistance of rotors and all wiring.

Does my plug look correct for 1995 993? It may have 58000 miles on it. Gap is about 0.8 mm. Not much different than the new Bosch which are 0.8 mm.

Ray
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2013 | 04:38 PM
TJ993
Banned

THANKS TO JM993 And raycm for these postings.
I realize these were written years ago But thats the point of a Forum.
This also worked for me. Just used a slight variation in tools.

Plug socket, 3/8 swivel to slide past the opening of plug hole, then added another 3/8 swivel but taped this one so there is No Movement - used duct tape to hold all together.

Attach a short 3/8 ratchet - Then push down onto plug.

Another point, slide tool underneath pump holding your new combo tool with left hand and use rt hand to slide / push combo tools under pump from right side then slide the combo tool down on top of Plug.

Voila she is loose and reverse to install the new Bitch Plug is in.

Takes a lot of patience, beer and perserverance. Grease helps too!
Old 07-30-2013 | 08:06 PM
JM993
Banned

Funny to see this back up. Glad it was helpful. Full disclosure: Now that I have my own lift, I do it the "regular" way. Much easier with a lift

Cheers,
Joe
Old 07-30-2013 | 09:28 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Originally Posted by TJ993
THANKS TO JM993 And raycm for these postings.
I realize these were written years ago But thats the point of a Forum.
This also worked for me. Just used a slight variation in tools.

Plug socket, 3/8 swivel to slide past the opening of plug hole, then added another 3/8 swivel but taped this one so there is No Movement - used duct tape to hold all together.

Attach a short 3/8 ratchet - Then push down onto plug.

Another point, slide tool underneath pump holding your new combo tool with left hand and use rt hand to slide / push combo tools under pump from right side then slide the combo tool down on top of Plug.

Voila she is loose and reverse to install the new Bitch Plug is in.

Takes a lot of patience, beer and perserverance. Grease helps too!
Have you had a chance to drive it? If so, did you notice any change? I had my plugs, wires, distributor caps and rotors replaced last year and when I drove off, couldn't tell any difference. I'm questioning whether they really did change the plugs. Or if they did, did they leave the "hard to get ones".
Old 07-30-2013 | 09:35 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

My second most recent experience on an in-car 993 plug change, from two years ago: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=21505
Old 07-30-2013 | 11:21 PM
TJ993
Banned

Smile Just Replaced All Spark Plugs W/O Taking Anything Apart!!!!

Originally Posted by ble2011
Have you had a chance to drive it? If so, did you notice any change? I had my plugs, wires, distributor caps and rotors replaced last year and when I drove off, couldn't tell any difference. I'm questioning whether they really did change the plugs. Or if they did, did they leave the "hard to get ones".
YES, Definitely.
Motor is definitely Smoother and even exhaust pressure or flow from both pipes is more consistent, no stumbles, revs easier and the exhaust sound - she really pops now.

I had already changed distributor and rotors as well.

A Good Canyon Run might just help take the edge off.

Alternatively, a mechanic suggested 44K - before next oil change to help get rid of carbon build-up. Not certain if that would be helpful for you?

Quick Reply: Just Replaced All Spark Plugs W/O Taking Anything Apart!!!!