Trade in value on a 993TT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Seljan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in value on a 993TT?

Need some informed opinions here.
If I were to trade my 96 993TT Arena red/gray..fully optioned 41k miles car in on a $155k car.What kind of trade in value should I see?

My TT has had no damage or repaint.I'm second local owner and the records on the car are meticulous.New tires 800 miles ago.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:40 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

My advice is to ask your dealer.... then figure out how much tax you'll save on the new car by trading it in, add that amount to the trade-in value plus $1000 for the hassle of selling to an individual to arrive at a starting price, and offer it to the Rennlist community to fight over.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Seljan
Pro

The tax savings is a good tip..i hadn't considered that.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:05 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Seljan
The tax savings is a good tip..i hadn't considered that.
That's pretty much the ~only~ reason to trade in a good condition 993--dealers aren't going to appreciate things like complete records, well-cared for, second owner, etc.

It seems like you could do better, even considering tax implications, selling it yourself. Heck, I'll give you $30,000 for that TT.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:53 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

They will give you average black book for your car. That figure might be close to the www.kbb.com trade in value.

They will also tell you your car has too many miles. Go to the dealer and ask them what they will give you, it might make you mad, then find someone that would be willing to buy your car for a few dollars more, do what it called a "courtesy trade". A "Courtesy Trade" is where you have the car pre-sold and still run it through the dealership as a trade in. You and the seller both win. You get the tax saving and more money than the dealer will give you and your buyer gets a good deal on the car.

I would be interested to hear what the dealer would offer you???
Old 09-09-2005, 12:03 AM
nine45s
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy
My advice is to ask your dealer.... then figure out how much tax you'll save on the new car by trading it in, add that amount to the trade-in value plus $1000 for the hassle of selling to an individual to arrive at a starting price, and offer it to the Rennlist community to fight over.
Right, I'm interested... been lookin' for a while and love arena red with gray.

nine45s
Old 09-09-2005, 01:17 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

You will get the least amount a dealer will pay, or get away with paying. Dealers get great deals on trades (high end dealers, mostly) when emotions set-in with regard to the 'new' aquisition.

Best would be to sell the TT privately, i'm afraid. Whatcha lookin' at gettin'?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:08 AM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy
.... then figure out how much tax you'll save on the new car by trading it in,
In Cal., the tax is based solely on the total sale price of the car, regardless of the trade-in allowance, which is then deducted. Although KBB is an often relied upon source for valuation, my experience is that dealers offer far less than the T/I value listed in KBB. It's more cost effective to sell the 993TT, and then buy the next car with the proceeds.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:38 AM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Several factors affect the trade-in value a dealer will offer such as seasonality, profit/overallowance in new car, wholesale auction prices, wholesaler offers, whether dealer plans to retail it & for how much, Porsche dealer or another brand, service/preparation costs, etc. Wholesale auction prices last spring for cars with similar miles were $60-64K but I doubt you would get that much on a trade.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

I recently saw a 993TT in like new condition with 5500 miles at a Porsche store for 67,000. Car was gone a few days later. It was a 96 in a medium blue .
Old 09-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A dealer will pay about $10k less than market for your car...no sales tax brake will compensate this...sell your car to another enthusiast who will appreciate it...at least $5k more in your pocket...
Old 09-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

do the following:
1- find a private buyer who will appreciate ure car and give u the enthusiast market value.
2- find a private broker or shop or anyone that goes to car auctions (with a dealers license) and ask them to 'intermediate' the trade for tax reasons. Many will have a set fee they will charge to run it thru their books. They will buy and sell your car to the buyer you found as well as buy your new car from whereever. This way u get the tax benefit and also a fair price.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Seljan
Pro

This has been very informative.Thanks all that replied.
It clearly makes sense to keep my TT in the Rennlist community if at all possible.
I am looking at a local Gallardo this weekend.If it is the *right* car,I will be making the gentleman a clean offer and my TT will officially be available.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:40 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Seljan
This has been very informative.Thanks all that replied.
It clearly makes sense to keep my TT in the Rennlist community if at all possible.
I am looking at a local Gallardo this weekend.If it is the *right* car,I will be making the gentleman a clean offer and my TT will officially be available.
Wow, TT for a Gallardo! Life is good , my friend.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:27 PM
AGC
Racer

Galardo are great cars, but maintenance is going to be up there. I had a couple of Fcars (348SS and Testarossa) and man were they EXPENSIVE to keep up (maintenance and repairs) compared to the TT. At the end I ended up selling the Fcars for the TT and couldn't be happier (lets just say a 30k service and a few additional repairs were about $9k on the Testarossa). But man you definitely are in another league when you drive around in a Lambo or Fcar (everybody looks, even people who don't know anything about cars)

Quick Reply: Trade in value on a 993TT?