Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any shortcuts on cleaning inside the wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took my wheels off this weekend, cleaned and waxed them inside and out, (even though my wife said they "didn't look dirty in the first place"), washed and waxed inside the wheel wells, sanded and repainted all four rotor hats (Primer gray, then high heat clearcoat), and also shot some clearcoat on my calipers which had a little peeling that was annoying me. The finished product looked amazing.

That said, I think anyone who enters a concours is a complete lunatic.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:27 PM
993-CT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Matt,

I am thinking about doing the same - will let you know if I do. You can then come over, drink some beverages and point out all the spots I missed
Old 09-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993-CT
You can then come over, drink some beverages and point out all the spots I missed
Just let me know! I'm very good at both of those.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:47 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Arrwin,

Is this a judged concours or peoples choice concours ? Sounds like thelatter, so just clean the outside of the wheels and clean inside with P21 citrus degreaser and wax them.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:05 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take 'em off. Remove any tar or grease. Wash them. Wax them(front and back). Repeat the process for the calipers. Except taking them off. Clean the tires. Now they are ready for the "show and shine" class.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:48 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Arrwin - what concours event are you entering and where?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarmG993
Arrwin - what concours event are you entering and where?
Jeez guys....i'm having 2nd doubts about entering as my car is really not up to spec for a concours, esp. after a two day DE. I thought i'd try to clean the car as thoroughly as I could and it'd be fun to enter (not really expecting to win or anything). Now, i'm just hoping I won't get laughed off the grass! It is a judged event. Good thing they only have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers or else i'd be at the bottom of the spectrum! Haha. I think i'll enter anyway as an experience and have some fun with it.

If anyone is interested, it's the 10th Annual Concours D'Elegance on Sun., Sept. 18th @ Old Westbury Gardens. It features Aston Martin, BMW, and Porsche. Funny thing is my friend and I were there spectating last year and our cars are pictured on the event page this year (as you can see from the link)! That's part of what triggered me to enter. Carm...you should come check it out!

Here are some pics from last year's event.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:20 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrwin,
If you think you will have a good time, just enter. Don't worry about it, just do the best you can. Its really no different than your first DE.....plenty of people that think a DE is a "race", and you must go ***** out etc...other folks say just go have a good time.
Go with the intention of having a great time, and if you don't win....well....so what! Did you enter to win, or enter to have a good time, and do something you've not done before? We never learn....unless we DO...

This is only my opinion, other opinions may differ. I am not trying to insult anyone, nor am I trying to be rude.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Actually, I agree with Phil 100%. Just do it for the fun of it. Worst case scenario is your car will be extra clean for a while! (plus I should clarify: It's the people who actually WIN concours events that are lunatics.)
Old 09-07-2005, 09:59 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have fun Arrwin--the worst thing that could happen is you'll learn what they look for and may pick up some tricks from others. Remember, for some of these people, competing in Concours ~is~ the hobby, rather than the car. Have fun.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. That is the ultimate goal....to have fun. I don't think my car will ever be in the same caliber as those concours folks, b/c I like all of us, we just like driving our cars too much.

I truly appreciate all the support guys, (I wasn't expecting anything less from here ) and I will definitely post pics.

Oh btw....Jeff....love the avatar!
Old 09-07-2005, 10:33 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:30 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Arrwin,
First ...good luck on Sunday at Westbury (might see u there btw!)

I dug this up from the web -- it shows the 'rules' for the 'full concours' and the 'street class' and the 'wash and shine'.

http://www.pca.org/zone7/index.php?p...&id=concourcat

The 'concours' is a whole different ball of wax.

For "us" types, I think it's either a case of Street Class or Wash and Shine.

The former involves them inspecting the interior AND the engine -- the latter is just as the title infers.

Since this is my FIRST time to such an event I'm going there purely for the learning experience (the missus likes the gardens) -- but after looking at the rules (which MAY or MAY NOT apply to the Westbury event) -- I figured I'd give a fellow Long Islander a heads up. (Wouldn't like to see you turn up -- expecting the judges to just do a 'wash n shine' lookover -- if you've, in fact, entered the "street class" -- and the judge then asks you, as he dons a white glove, to 'pop the hood' !!!)

Am also going to email this msg. to you.

Cordially,

Gerry
Old 09-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately, I will have to save it for next year as I won't be able to enter afterall. I have to be somewhere else that afternoon (funeral) and I won't have time to enter. I'm hoping to go early and spectate a little however.

I just read the description for the "street class" and i'm pretty glad (actually, very glad) I am not entering as I thought it was exterior only, no engine. That wouldn't of been a pleasant surprise!

Originally Posted by Zone 7 Concours Class Descriptions
Category II - Street Class
Street Class cars are driven regularly and are expected to have the usual minor wear and tear that results from being driven. It is also expected that the owner has taken more than normal care to maintain the car in like-new condition. Cars in this class have the entire car judged including the engine for originality and cleanliness. The undercarriage is not judged. As part of the judging, the engine is started and lights and horn are checked. The main difference between Full and Street Class is that in Street Class the undercarriage is not judged. All other rules are identical.
I'm not sure if different zones vary in judging. This is a BMWCCA event, so I think they may be using their own standards.

If I end up going, I will be there around 10ish, so I hope to see you there. Thanks again for the heads up!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:16 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Be sure to share any tips or tricks you learn.

Quick Reply: Any shortcuts on cleaning inside the wheel?