3rd brake light out

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 09:08 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3rd brake light out

My 3rd brake light (above rear window) has stopped working. I am pretty certain ALL the bulbs didn't burn out at once. All bulbs were working last week.

I checked all the likely fuses but was never certain which fuse is in this circuit-the descriptions on the inside lid of the fusebox aren't explicit about this. Does anyone know which fuse I should check (in case I missed it)?

Thanks in advance,
chuck
Old 09-05-2005, 09:10 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure as I own a 95, but some people seem to have trouble with the wire hookup to this light breaking or coming undone...might try pcar.com.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:40 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I suspect your other brake lights work ? If not suspect is the brake switch. If just the third brake light, I would take unit off and see if wires are connected. This is the info from Robin's site and removal is quite easy. http://p-car.com/diy/glass/
Old 09-05-2005, 10:57 PM
GeezC4S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The roof mounted 3rd brake light are known to have problems with the wiring going through the tabs in the rear window. The fix is to supply a separate wire to the light by bypassing the the rear glass altogether. Do a search for more detailed instructions.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:14 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. My 3rd brake light is the only one not operating. I did have the cover off and checked the wires, unplugged, cleaned the connectors and re-seated them. I did notice that the wires coming out from under the roof were a very thin guage. Whatever that means....I am beyond incompetent when it comes to electrical problems. Someone told me to check with a multi meter. I asked my wife if we had one and she told me I couldn't have a double hamburger-they aren't good for me. I guess she doesn't know anything about electrical problems either...
chuck

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light out