Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
I'm not sure if the theory actually holds, but the idea is to uncompress the door seals during storage. Therefore, I have the doors closed and latched one click (the rear of the door is about 1/2" above the flush position). The door is still supported by the latch, but the seal isn't completely compressed.

I don't know if it will make a difference, but it didn't look like it could hurt.

BTW, yup, I wax the door jams and wash the wheel wells. However, I haven't yet been able to wash underneath very well. The idea was to pull the wheels off this winter and give them and the wells a good cleaning. However, Santa has to bring me that new floor jack.
Got it, that "one click rule" makes sense.

Oh yes, that's the way to clean it! And it's great to work on it during the time you can't drive it.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, to me, it's not just a car. In fact, I wouldn't buy a 10 year old car otherwise.

Agreed...you have to respect and preserve the aircooled Por-shas...
Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Default It is snowing here right now!

My baby has been sleeping for a few weeks. I loved your list. Going to try the aluminum foil trick.

My comments:

1. First year I tried putting the (sport) seats tilted forward. The seatbelt clasps made an impression on the side of the seat. Eventually sprung back, but I won't do it again.

2. I slide the seats as forward as possible. Removes tension on the springs.

3. I have never seen a mouse in my garage but I keep mousetraps in there all the time anyway.

6 more months til driving season here!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:24 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul,

Next year just ship it out to me and you won't have to put it up for the winter. I'll be sure to keep it nice and exercised for ya.

Shouldn't you be working on the car during the off months to get it ready for next year? I would think this would be a great time to do upgrades and maintenance items.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:58 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul902
... 3. I have never seen a mouse in my garage but I keep mousetraps in there all the time anyway. ...
Wise decision. If you ever see a mouse in your garage, you may infer that you've got many, many mouses living there!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:21 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the old saying? "For each mouse you see, you have three."
Old 11-17-2005, 06:46 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Unless your garage is heated I'm not so sure you want to leave the doors (or windows) open. You will end up with condensation like you've never seen before. I had to replace a good portion of the interior fasteners (anything that was painted and not zinc coated) because of rust.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:09 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Unless your garage is heated I'm not so sure you want to leave the doors (or windows) open. You will end up with condensation like you've never seen before. I had to replace a good portion of the interior fasteners (anything that was painted and not zinc coated) because of rust.
Jason -

With all due respect, I don't quite buy that. Whether the doors are opened or closed and whether the windows are cracked opened or not, I can't imagine how the environment in the passenger compartment will be that different than outside the vehicle.

But, that being said, my garage is heated (as of a few days ago), so I guess it's moot.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:25 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Maybe large temperature fluctuations combined with high humidity? Normally the interior is sealed pretty much airtight I left the windows open once for a week or two during winter storage and came back to find the interior soaked. Since then (winter of 96/97) any time I've had to store the car for any period of time I've closed everything up and had no problems.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DarrylH
Wise decision. If you ever see a mouse in your garage, you may infer that you've got many, many mouses living there!

Reminds me of university.. Our buddies asked to borrow our mousetrap cause they had "a" mouse. "Mice", we replied, "mice". "No, just one", they said. 14 mice later, they were pretty sure they had gotten the lot of 'em
Old 11-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kkim
Paul,

Next year just ship it out to me and you won't have to put it up for the winter. I'll be sure to keep it nice and exercised for ya.

Shouldn't you be working on the car during the off months to get it ready for next year? I would think this would be a great time to do upgrades and maintenance items.

Aloha Kelly,

You present a good arguement, but it just so happens my car is afraid of, er, flying and boats and to my knowledge there is no causeway to your fair island. You might have better luck with another Canuk's car.

On the project side... Yes it is a great time for that. Last year I did the suspension. This year I am going to try my first DIY oil change, and I'm also seriously thinking about getting a HANS or Isaac system, which means getting a harness, and harness bar or roll cage. Gotta look carefully at the $$ though.

cheers, eh!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:06 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

For those like me who have to go through winterizing their cars again....perhaps this thread is helpful.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 AM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

One other minor thing to add -
I lift my wipers to the upright position to prevent the pressure on the blades that causes them to disintegrate. (I've replaced 3 sets in 4 years and only once used them.)
Old 10-05-2006, 11:31 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rkb
One other minor thing to add -
I lift my wipers to the upright position to prevent the pressure on the blades that causes them to disintegrate. (I've replaced 3 sets in 4 years and only once used them.)
Unfortunately, that can't be done in my case because I cover the car during "hibernation".
Old 10-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortunately, that can't be done in my case because I cover the car during "hibernation".
Take the blades off, leave the arms and use a piece of a soft towel that will rest between the windshield and arm. This will extend the blade life.

MIKE

Quick Reply: Winterizing