Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LW Flywheel....Any regrets???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 02:09 AM
renn911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About how much does it cost to put one in?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:35 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking And what part of Porsche Racing did you think would be...

cheap? Was it the racing part, or the Porsche part?

Not to be a smart ***...but anything you do to a 993 car is bloody expensive. Budget $2,000 on the low side, to $3,000 for a clutch job. I'd wouldn't put one in just for drill. If you need a clutch, consider a 993RS clutch over the dual mass unit for all the reasons you have seen above.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll love it! Noise is audible at idle, and during accels from low RPM...but not annoying at all!

Cost ? www.carnewal.com is one option!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:36 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by renn911
I’m a 993 newbie and haven’t begun down the slope yet; but for what its worth. I asked the very reputable and respected p-car shop owner who did my PPI about mods and he recommended against the LWF. To paraphrase his words ‘I have people that do the LWF mod and regret it afterwards mostly due to all the stalling’.

Just passing along what I heard; no first hand knowledge
This is not to disrespect you but you should consider not taking your car to this guy for your maintainance and mods. I had talked to some long time p-car shop owners before I did my LWF upgrade and they had said the same thing. I am SO glad I didn't listen to them. This is truly one of the best mods you can do on these cars. If your clutch is gone then it truly is a "no-brainer" mod. The light rattle at stoplight (which I love BTW) is nothing compared to the driving experience you get from this mod.
What must be remembered is that the people on this website are car enthusiasts and are looking for powerful, responsive, connected rides out of their p-cars. There are plenty of people out there that want their p-car to ride like a Caddy, so long as it has the p-car badge on it. Those would be the people that regret putting in the LWF, IMO.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:41 AM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Thank you guys for all of the feed back! Got a friend to agree to do the swap for me next month. I am no longer scared away by the noise and low RPM chatter. Can't wait to see the results.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:42 AM
mborkow
Drifting

no regrets at all. mine was done while the top end was being rebuilt, so i am not sure how much it really cost, though i know it was about $500 cheaper than the DM flywheel was going to be
Old 09-02-2005, 11:33 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

The only regret I have with my LWF is that it is still sitting on the floor in the garage. I need to make some time to get'er'done..
Old 09-02-2005, 11:44 AM
dhicks
Drifting

K24Madness.....just my 2 cents....you are in an area where there are lots of p-cars, somebody from this site that is close to you and has a LWF should be enlisted to take you for a drive, then you will be able to feel, hear and see the difference
Old 09-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

K24, I would have thought that at your torque levels, you already have the whole GT2 clutch/PP/LWF assembly. A 2WD will feel the difference more than a 4WD it seems.
Renn911, the LWF does cause some stalling issues with 964s, 993's seem to be free of those issues unless you go with the wrong setup.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:27 PM
renn911
Instructor

Akolodesh, none taken! I appreciate the feedback and advice; I’m learning and always will be. I have some rules I try to live by; ladies first, never eat anything larger than my head, LISTEN to the advice of others and create an informed decision, etc. This forum seems to be mostly comprised of knowledgeable, hands on, first rate individuals and I personal appreciate the fact that so many of you share your knowledge and experience. Doesn’t mean I’m going to put a LWF in my car next week, but I’m better educated about the choice.

If 50 million Elvis fans can’t be wrong, than I guess it most be right?
Old 09-03-2005, 07:33 AM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Jean,

I did upgrade the clutch to the new style sachs GT2 clutch (rated for 800 tq). At the time of the upgrade I was on the fence about the flywheel. I elected (regretfully) to retain the stock flywheel.

I will do the swap to LWF in october. I will also have to change the disk as they are different.

Quick Reply: LW Flywheel....Any regrets???