Sponsored by:

75K mile motor refresh

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005 | 10:24 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ben,
You need the tranny overhauled or swapped for a RS box. It will be like getting a new car.
Old 08-31-2005 | 10:29 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Greg -

Tempting thought but I need to stop the hemorrhaging.... There is no indication of trouble in the gear box. I'd love to regear and do an LSD but adding that to the bill WOULD be like getting a new car.

Ben
Old 08-31-2005 | 10:37 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Nice post!Thanks for sharing.
Is the first picture taken in Ruf's garage? How clean!
There were so many posts about the valve accurate degreing on the 993 that I'm surprised to read that those Ruf guys don't think it's an important issue.
Old 08-31-2005 | 10:43 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ben in Plano, TX
Greg -

Tempting thought but I need to stop the hemorrhaging.... There is no indication of trouble in the gear box. I'd love to regear and do an LSD but adding that to the bill WOULD be like getting a new car.

Ben
I understand completely. I think the weak link in the stock box is the synchros, so if yours are shifting well after 75k miles and lots of track time you were kind to yours.
Old 08-31-2005 | 10:47 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Toga,

Yes - these pics are in the RUF shop.

Concerning the cam/valve issue - I think that we sometimes don't separate what makes sense for street cars vs. track cars on this list. My sense is that the RUF techs feel that the small gains to be had over PROPERLY IMPLEMENTED factory stock setup do not make sense from a cost effectiveness standpoint.

At the track where competitive differences are measured in 10ths of seconds - that's a different story.

Ben
Old 08-31-2005 | 11:06 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wish I could claim a DIY - Sorry Rick - even though I'm a former NC boy and not afraid to take anything apart I just don't have time for it right now.

Work is being done by my good friends at RUF here in Dallas. I just go over and take pictures when I have a chance....as such - you might not want to hear about the cost!

Ben
Ah, that explains the nice facilities. I thought you sure had a killer garage. I guess it's in good hands with Ruf. Wish they had a shop around here.
Old 08-31-2005 | 11:15 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Wow Ben, what made you finally bite the bullet?

George
Old 08-31-2005 | 11:24 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

George,

The lifters were getting louder and louder - even Michelle was commenting on the racket. I was putting more and more oil on the garage floor as well. When I decided to take the car back to street trim I mentally commited to getting it back to 'as new' condition and new I needed to do at least a top end job. Once we got into the motor it became apparent that all the oil and heat over the years had done a fair bit of modest but appreciable damage. So I decided that I wanted to go through it all and make it right.

It's going to cost me $15k by the time all is said and done (including A/C work, P/C, various pieces parts, aux oil cooler, .....) but at the end of the day I'll have a like new 993 that is ready for 10 more years of hot TX work. I'll take that over a Honda Accord any day.
Old 08-31-2005 | 11:50 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a great investment to do all the work at the same time. I am confused about your post on the 3.8 P/Cs... are you going to upgrade, or remain at 3.6? My understanding is that the 3.8 P/Cs are the same cost as the 3.6s. The 3.8l kit on the other hand, which includes a lot of other parts IS very expensive. If you have a couple of bad cylinders, you may as well replace them all with the 3.8l ones. Can someone else chime in here- I know that the prices from Mahle have gone through the roof. (RUF?!) sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 08-31-2005 | 11:54 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Tom,

I'm staying with 3.6. The RUF 3.8 upgrade also requires a sport cat and ECU reflash - probably adding $2-$3k in parts cost (assuming the 3.8 p/c are the same cost as 3.6 p/c).

However - I'm getting final pricing information from RUF so I might reassess that decision when I have the numbers in front of me.

Ben
Old 08-31-2005 | 11:58 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Ben, if I ever find me a real race car, I have a feeling I'll be doing the same thing.

Congrats on the "NEW" car. Will it be ready for any DE's this year?

George
Old 08-31-2005 | 12:01 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

It will be ready for the October DE but I'm not sure I will. As we have discussed I really want to get into a real race car as well for the track. And my Porsche budget is taking a heavy hit over the next couple of weeks...
Old 08-31-2005 | 12:42 PM
garychios
Pro

Can you give us a range in the rebuild price?
Old 08-31-2005 | 12:53 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

I don't have firm numbers yet and I'm doing a lot more than just a rebuild but I'm expecting it to be in the 10k range for the rebuild with new P/C, reseal, rod and main bearings if needed, spark plug wires, replace wiring harness, replacing heat damaged plastic connector between VRAM manifold and intakes, machining SAI ports in the heads.

With the additional A/C work, adding the aux oil cooler, and some body work I expect I'll end up around 15k.

A lot of money but I'm investing in the car now for 10 more years of daily driving.

Ben
Old 08-31-2005 | 01:09 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

A lot of money but I'm investing in the car now for 10 more years of daily driving.
Ben
I made the same decision. Makes a statement for an 8 year old car.

Quick Reply: 75K mile motor refresh