Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default R & R Litronic bulbs

One of my litronic headlights is not working. As left and right assemblies are not interchangeable, I am trying to swap the bulb to the other headlight unit to see if it is the bulb or transformer that is bad, but cannot seem to get the bulb out of the back of the unit.

Is there a special tool required?

I read that the bulbs are supposed to last the life of the car, so I want to check that out before ordering another.

TIA.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 924 Likes on 559 Posts

I believe there is just a U shaped clip holding the bulb. No tool required, just careful bending.
Edit: I forgot, Pete. Yours are OEM Litronics - could be different from the aftermarket install we did a few months back.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:36 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The actual bulb retainer is a rotating collar that puts spring tension on the back of the bulb. Even when depressing it, I cannot get it to clear the locking points. There are two wings on the side of the collar -perhaps for some kind of tool?
Old 08-31-2005, 07:54 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Bump.

I fought with these suckers for an hour again last night, and cannot get the collar off. Next step will be to remove the whole Litronic reflector assembly from the rest of the bucket, but it doesn't seem that I should have to do that.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Jack Esposito
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pete
Had the same problem recently on my C4S. Had to really push hard on both sides of the collar (while trying to rotate it) to get them to release. After all the switching of bulbs and ballasts still couldn't find the problem. Checked the wire harness and found one of the connector pins had backed itself out of the plug inside the fender area. Pushed the pin back in and then the light worked fine.

Good Luck
Jack
Old 09-02-2005, 01:52 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks, Jack. I'll try it. The control box is $640 and the bulb is $250 at the local dealer! so I hope it is that simple. Found similiar parts at $149 & $129 at an online store, but don't know it they are direct replacements.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:32 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Pete
If it turns out you need a replacement oem D2S bulb, let me know. I'm pretty sure I've got a couple in my "spare parts" box in my garage from a past HID project.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Jack Esposito
Instructor

Hi Pete,
If it is the control box, let me know because I have a new one but it doesn't fit my wire harness plug. Looks like there was a difference between 1996 and 1997 on parts. Maybe it would work on your wire harness plug.

Jack
Old 09-04-2005, 01:23 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

After finally getting a look at the Factory Manual, courtesy of Rennlister Clive in Corona, I found out that there are two tabs that are bent in to hold the collar in place. Cannot see one of them.

I just ordered the manual.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:23 AM
leeham
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you ever get this worked out? Mine has stopped working on the right side on low beam only (the litronic part). They're original equipment on my 1996. Can the parts be swapped from one side to the other to try and troubleshoot?

Thanks

LeeH
Old 09-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Jack Esposito
Instructor

LeeH

Yes, you can swap the parts from one side to the other to troubleshoot it. That's how I determined my problem was in the wiring connector and not the bulb or ballast.

Jack
Old 09-19-2005, 10:32 PM
leeham
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks - fixed problem

It seems that I easily fixed the problem that I just as easily created. When I removed the light to photograph it and show the technique to someone, I inadvertently loosened the connector from the little plastic frame that holds it in place. I didn't expect this because it operated correctly immediately after the demonstration, but apparently it also worked its way out sometime later. All I had to do was snap it back in. The problem is fixed.

Thanks very much for responding.

LeeH
Old 09-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Problem solved, cause remains unknown. Thanks to Clive, who send me the relevant workshop manual pages. I found the 2 little hidden bent tabs that prevented me from removing the bulbs. I then swapped out the bulbs and found that they were both OK. I then swapped the control module by swapping the back covers between the 2 lights. The problem switched to the other side. When I reinstalled everything in its original place, both sides now worked! The plugs for the control modules are a tight fit, and there was no sign of any corrosion, but evidently there was a poor connection that was remedied by reinserting the plugs. Glad I didn't order any new parts.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:08 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Great news Pete!! A connection is not a connection, if its not connected.. An ancient German proverb?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

With German electronics, "A connection is not a connection if it doesn't work even when connected."

Ah well, glad it is not Lucas or Marelli

Quick Reply: R & R Litronic bulbs