Sponsored by:

German OSRAMs vs STD high beam

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 02:19 AM
dpkoby
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,
Check with Clive (grmnxtc) as he posted a set up with high output LED bulbs which sure look white I don't remember the title of the thread but you could PM him. Clive is an incredible source of technical information. Good Luck-and let us know if you find the perfect solution as I am also very unimpressed with the OSRAM silverstars.
Dave
Old 09-11-2005, 03:01 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

David,

Not strictly true... I don't have HID's (yet!), but this thread shows some sources of the LED bulbs for the parking lights...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/224730-park-light-led-diy-install.html

I've not done this myself (yet), but will be seriously looking at it when my time comes.

The problem is that the HID's have such a sharly defined light "spectrum" that the filament bulbs (which despite the magic gas inside are still basically a tunsten light bulb) just cannot match... And hence look yellow in comparison.

LED parking bulbs are the way to go for a more "blue" tint... without being ricey...

JMHO = $0.02

Clive.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:07 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
For all those looking to match your HID low beams with whiter high beams, dont go the OSRAM german 55 watt bulbs there is so little difference between them and the std lights that it is not worth it. I took pics but could see no difference so have not posted them. When you look at them with the naked eye you can see some difference but it is very very small.
I ran across this thread in a search. Has anyone tried a 100 watt bulb in the high position (presumably in conjunction with a relay)? If so, worth doing?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:34 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to run 100w hi light bulbs w/o a relay before I did an aftermarket HID kit. It did improve the lighting a bit but nothing compared to HIDs. I'd definitely recommend you bypass the 100w bulb idea and go straight to HIDs if better hi light vision is what you are after.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kelly Kim, great to read you!

And since I am feeling too lazy to "do a search", what is involved with going HID for highbeams? Do you need to install ballast and bulbs? Is there more to it than that? What are the recommended choices?

pf
Old 02-27-2007, 02:21 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

HID in highbeam makes little sense if you are alternatively turning them on/off even occasionally. There is a warm-up time with HID and their design is not to cycle them on and off. In fact, its bad on the system to cycle your low beams. You can see on the HID system that there is a period of time when the bulb lumens slowly increase when you first turn them on. Sometimes flashing HB is useful if you need to "flash to pass" or get someones attention. HID HB will not be able to do this effectively.. As far as higher wattage halogen bulbs - be careful - will it discolor or melt plastic? Not sure, but its a risk...

I personally fitted my HB with the US silverstar halogen. They are whiter than std halogen but they are yellow in comparison to 4300k HID. I dont use them as much anymore, I find that the LB HID is so much of an improvement, I rarely need the extra light.

I also upgraded my fogs to silverstar and running lights to OSRAM. Again whiter than OEM, but still yellow in comparison.

It does not bother me anymore to have contrasting colors - In fact I prefer the slight yellow light of the fogs - gives a more balanced light when its foggy etc.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:17 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul902
what is involved with going HID for highbeams? Do you need to install ballast and bulbs?
Aloha Paul... good seeing you on the board!!

The hi beams take the same H1 bulbs as the low beams, so any h1 HID kit (bulbs and ballasts included) will do. I recommend you purchase a set from any of the vendors recommended by this board in the past. You will have to do a search, though.

I bought mine through group buy off of Ebay a loooong time ago.

The good thing is, if you don't like the HIDs in the high beam position, you can move them to the lows as the 993 uses the same type bulbs for the hi and low lights.

Hope the weather is treating you well... if not, you know where you can come to take a vacation!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kkim

The good thing is, if you don't like the HIDs in the high beam position, you can move them to the lows as the 993 uses the same type bulbs for the hi and low lights.
Yeah, I got them in the low beam already. If I put them in the high beam I assume there is a different pattern, else, the suggestion would be to use low beams all the time.

Originally Posted by kkim
Hope the weather is treating you well... if not, you know where you can come to take a vacation!
Oh, that sounds so good...but, I think we nearly hit the melting mark today, so it shouldn't be TOO long before it is warm enough here.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, the hi and low beam patterns are much different. Most people are so impressed with the difference HIDs make in the low position, they think they don't need any more light, which is true is you don't do a lot of "country" driving. I'm here to say that if you live in a rural area, the HIDs in the hi beam position are fantastic. With no street lighting, it really lights up the road so you can see much farther than you can with the 100w bulbs I had in there. The best combo would be HIDs in both the hi and lo positions, but that would mean finding space for 2 sets of ballasts on each side.

At any rate, if you are curious, switch your low set to the hi and try it yourself. Like I said, if street lighting around your area sucks, you'll be very happy with the HIDs in the hi position.

Good luck!!
Old 02-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

I guess this is what the bi-xenon's of 996's are - HID in both bulbs. I don't do a lot of nighttime driving, but when I do would like more out of the high beams. Maybe I'll put that on the list for next winter.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:19 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

the bi xenons in the boxter tilt, with a lever to use the same bulb for low and high. there is also a halogen 55w for the autobahn flasher. but there is only one High intesity discharge capsule and it tilts up and down for high and low beam. {94BOXTER S]. was T boned and got the lights from wifees car, and that how the "bi Xenon" works for that year model.
I may put them i my fogs on my 993.
i use 100w in the high beam on the Litronics in thge 993. lemon yellow but better than stock. I think kkim is right on it.. david

Quick Reply: German OSRAMs vs STD high beam