Old 10-01-2005, 02:33 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
That is the way we have to do it when adjusting the valves on a 964. Sometimes the belts will slip so you just squeeze them a little (with your hands) and the motor will turn over fairly easy.
This is exactly how I typically turn over these engines. Shame there isnt a removeable plug that would gain access to the lower pulley bolt.

You can also turn the alternator nut with a wrench with help from turning the fan with your other hand. Little by little, it can be done. I also have a remote starter hand switch that connects to the starter solenoid via cayman (alligator) clips to bump the engine over. But, I am generally too lazy to get under the car that far And if I do have to get that far under the car, its usually to remove the engine
Old 10-01-2005, 02:45 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason, Chris~

Thanks for the reaffirmation... too bad I didn't know about this when I was doing the flush on my car.

mahalo
Old 10-01-2005, 11:21 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kkim
Good luck... please keep us informed as you make progress to free the last port. This stuck port is exactly the reason I advised for allowing at least a couple of days to do this flush. Are you getting excellent flow through the other 5 of 6 ports?

Take your time and have a few while you wait for the clog to soften up.
Thanks for the words of encouragement, they're greatly appreciated. And yes, I'm getting great flow from the other 5 ports. I think part of my problem now is that a fair amount the carb cleaner is dripping through these clear ports and collecting on top the the plugs.

I'm going to turn the crank today and see where I get. Thanks all!
Old 10-01-2005, 02:08 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

SUCCESS! - I turned the crank to close the valves and # 3 blew right out. I don't know why I didn't think of this before!

I'm going to run another can of cleaner through and start putting things back together. I can't wait to drive again!

Kelly, did you change your oil after this? I'm wondering if any of the cleaner blew into the oil.

Thanks to all for the help on this!
Old 10-01-2005, 03:35 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric,

Yeah!!! I know that wonderful feeling when the air starts coming out of that stuck port. Congrats!!! Did bits of carbon come flying out when it did?

I didn't change my oil... most likely should have, but I'm not really worried with the amount of oil in the 993 system. If it makes you feel better, I'd say change it for peace of mind.

Button that baby up and go out for a nice drive today... you've earned it.

Enjoy!!
Old 10-01-2005, 03:53 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Yep, carbon everywhere. Just finishing re-flushing with another can of cleaner & it's running clear. Only bummer is that I stripped an exhaust stud & can't get one until Mon-Tue from the dealer.

So in the meantime I'm going to change the oil, the filters, fuel filter & air filter while I've got all the parts off.

Thanks again for inventing the "Kelly Plugs" - it's "the" way to do this (the chewing gum method on p-car.com didn't work for me!)

If you're ever in HB, look me up & I'll buy you a cold one!
Old 10-01-2005, 04:19 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by epj993
If you're ever in HB, look me up & I'll buy you a cold one!
Eric...Thanks, I'll do that... and the same applies to you if you're ever on Kauai.

Curious... what cleaner did you use for the flush? Did you try more than one type of solvent?

Enjoy your weekend.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:05 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Eric -

I've been following this thread from the stands and rooting for you. Nicely done!!
Old 10-01-2005, 05:32 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kkim
Eric...Thanks, I'll do that... and the same applies to you if you're ever on Kauai.

Curious... what cleaner did you use for the flush? Did you try more than one type of solvent?

Enjoy your weekend.

I wasn't able to find the JB product, so I used Berryman B-12. It was pretty much the only semi-industrial strength cleaner I could find. It sure does reek!
Old 10-01-2005, 08:28 PM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Eric! I've been following this thread closely. I'll be posting my experiences in the next few weeks.

How did you manage to turn the crank?
Old 10-01-2005, 08:37 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

With the trans in neutral, I used a Cresent wrench on the alternator/fan nut (clockwise). If the belt slips, apply pressure to make it catch. You can also assist by turning the fan blades.

Be prepared to be out of action for several days, if not more (6 in my case).

Good luck & let me know if I can assist!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Chris Brown

Wow - here I was thinking I was alone with my cleaning concerns and you guys have a 6 page thread. Lots of great ideas, bravo!

I have the engine out of my '96 dealing with this and some trans issues (don't ask), so this thread was a great help.

Thanks!

Chris

Quick Reply: Need Help: DIY SAI Flush Problem