Need Help: DIY SAI Flush Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 02:11 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Update on my blocked #6 SAI passage...

On my way home I stopped at the local parts store, talked to one of the old time guys working there and told him I was looking for something strong that would dissolve gummed up residue and carbon. Goes to the shelf, pulls off a can of J&B Carburetor Cleaner and Fuel System Cleaner with Carbon Blaster... okaaayyy.... I mean, the can is so old there is dust on the top of it. He warns the stuff is strong and not to drop it on paint... oh, oh..

Get home and pressurize the SAI system with 100psi of air and nothing, no flow at all. Port 6 is still blocked solid.

Add a few ounces of this stuff.. smells nasty, like alcohol based or something, and take out the plug I had in #5 to clean that out, too. Pressurize the system and crap just flows out of 5, but nothing from six. Pour in a few more ounces and repeat... and what do I see??? A few drops out of #6!! Block 5 back up.

Hell with it... crank the compressor up to max, pour in a few more ounces and go for it!!! Let it blow for about 30 seconds or so and hear a "phhfffttt, phhfffttt"... hmmm.... look at 6 and damn if it's not flowing dirty, black liquid. Repeat, repeat and #6 seems to be flowing as well as the rest.

For the record, I was using Techron and a product called Seafoam to try and clear the passages for the last 2 days. They worked well on the ones that weren't blocked, but didn't do squat for the one that was blocked.

Take that, you evil SAI Gods!!!

WOOOO, HOOOO!!!Happy camper tonight!!!

Old 08-30-2005, 09:04 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Kelly, nicely done!!!!! That is awesome.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:45 AM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kim congradulations!

It would be great if you do do a DIY on Pcar
Old 08-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job KK, your persistence paid off. Now what's next ?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 912 Likes on 550 Posts

I predict a nation wide run on J&B Carburetor Cleaner and Fuel System Cleaner with Carbon Blaster. Well done, Kelly.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:27 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Kelly,

I've just done an SAI cleanout and still have the heat exchangers off. I didn't use any plugs for the exhaust manifolds. I just poured carb cleaner into my SAI check valve mounting port and shot high pressure air in behind. Below, on a piece of cardboard that I had laying under the car, I saw six distinct circles of carb cleaner. A good sign for sure but I'm thinking that while I have it apart, I should go the extra mile and block five ports and sequentially blow through the one open port. Can you tell me about the plugs and brackets that you rigged to block the five ports? A pic would be worth 5,000 words.

And congrats on blowing out the sixth. YOU'RE THE MAN!!!!

TIA.

Scott
Old 08-30-2005, 03:51 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nicely done, Kelly... persistence paid off!
Old 08-30-2005, 10:17 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, all. Hope my experiences benefit the rest of you in some way.

Originally Posted by Laura
Good job KK, your persistence paid off. Now what's next ?
I will keep blasting the ports now that they are open to make sure they are clear. I've gone through one can of the cleaner and expect to pick another up tonight and go through all the ports again.

I want to thank you again for you kind assistance. As you may have heard in my voice on the phone, I was about to button the car back up and give up. With you sharing your knowledge, you gave me hope to try and clear the passages. If it weren't for you, I would have given up. Mahalo, Laura... words cannot explain the debt of gratitude I owe for your support. If you vacation in Hawaii, please look me up.

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I predict a nation wide run on J&B Carburetor Cleaner and Fuel System Cleaner with Carbon Blaster.
As a caveat, I did use the other 2 products first and that may have softened up the stuff in the passages... I dunno, though, it seemed pretty immediate that I got flow after using the JB stuff.

Originally Posted by campbesl
Can you tell me about the plugs and brackets that you rigged to block the five ports? A pic would be worth 5,000 words.
Scott, I'll post some pics in a few hours. I kept on blowing till the liquid exiting the ports were clean and no more black stuff could be seen. I'm planning to run another can through there tonight as a precaution.

Originally Posted by trojanman
Nicely done, Kelly... persistence paid off!
Jeff, fear was the driving force of the persistence. With no knowledgeable shops on the island, I had to rely on Rennlist to pull me through and it did!

Thanks to all of you for your support.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:59 PM
renn911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That’s great....congrats! You give aspiring DIY’ers hope with awesome posts like this.
This place rocks!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Should we be using the stuff now instead of Techron or Lubro-Moly?

http://www.justicebrothers.com/pages...ts_ihe_fsa.htm
Old 08-30-2005, 11:58 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by kkim
...Goes to the shelf, pulls off a can of J&B Carburetor Cleaner and Fuel System Cleaner with Carbon Blaster... okaaayyy.... ...
i love it! too funny... & thx for sharing kelly i may have to use that stuff on the area around my check valve... it's soooooooo baked on i can't budge it even w/ the assistance of a 300lb. buddy of mine. was thinkin' i'd have to pull the manifold off to really get @ it. (think i'd clean my ports too... if i didn't have my 50k mi. warranty)-----> btw: when did your cel start lighting up?

& congrats! & oh yeah... thx again for sharing your ballsy diy.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:02 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Luis A.
Should we be using the stuff now instead of Techron or Lubro-Moly?

http://www.justicebrothers.com/pages...ts_ihe_fsa.htm
no $hit... sounds like it may kick techrons ***... i'll give it a shot. wthn?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:15 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24FPS
i may have to use that stuff on the area around my check valve... it's soooooooo baked on i can't budge it even w/ the assistance of a 300lb. buddy of mine. btw: when did your cel start lighting up?
Started getting the CEL at 57k last November. I did a reset and it stayed off for a good 500-1000 miles. Came back on and it was coming on more frequently before I tore in to this sucker!

Have you tried spraying the check valve w/ Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster to help loosen it up? I would be hesitant to use the JB stuff down there as I don't know what else lives down there that it might end up hurting... like I said, it's pretty nasty stuff. It's intended usage is to pour into your gas tank with your fuel... it doesnt mention anything about using it straight out of the bottle and pressurizing the bejezzus out of it. Don't breathe this stuff as it vaporizes under that pressure... trust me.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:33 AM
24FPS
Drifting

thx kelly... yep, i did try liquid wrench... no pb-blaster though. so the jb-stuff sounds much like the stuff that dripped thru the spaceship floors in "aliens"
Old 08-31-2005, 12:51 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott,

As promised some pics... Please excuse the caveman approach to the brackets, it's all I had handy at the time.

The stoppers are plain rubber stoppers out of the hardware store. I measured the exhaust port to be about 1 1/2", so I went down there with a tape rule and found what I needed by measuring the smaller side of the stopper of anything a bit smaller than 1 1/2" with the top part being larger than 1 1/2".

The brackets are made from old car stereo mounting straps that come with each one you buy. I never use them, so I had a bunch to work with. Easy to cut and shape, holes already drilled into the strap. I did have to bore out the holes a bit to get the exhaust studs to fit and I also had to elongate one side with a dremel. Nuts are the ones that came off the HE.

If the passages are clear, I found I can flow about 100psi through the system w/ 5 exhaust ports blocked w/ the stoppers. Any more than that and it becomes difficult to hold the nozzle onto the modified check valve w/o stuff starting to spray back at you.

Good luck... let me know how it turns out.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Need Help: DIY SAI Flush Problem