Sponsored by:

Oil Guage Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 04:31 PM
jgmurray
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Guage Stuck

The Oil Level guage on the left side of the speedo is stuck at bottom. A few questions:

1. Where is the sender located?
2. Is there a method for testing the guage and the sender?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 08-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe,
its pretty much agreed that the most accurate way to check the oil level is via the dipstick.
You might try tapping the gauge, and see if you can get it too move a bit.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:13 PM
jgmurray
Advanced

Phil,
Thanks for the reply. I agree on the dipstick as it's the most accurate guage but I'd like to keep all the parts of the car in working condition. I'll try giving it a tap and cleaning the contacts as suggested in another thread, but if that isn't successful something more in-depth may be called for.
Joe
Old 08-27-2005, 01:18 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure its stuck? how do you know its not low on oil? The sender by the way is in the oil tank (pass side rear fender under fender liner) and runs around $85 to replace, so make sure its "stuck" before you change it.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:42 PM
jgmurray
Advanced

Okaaayy...I re-checked the dip stick and maybe it was a bit low....well, maybe more than a bit as I added a quart of oil and after driving the guage responded. I think the simplest answer is appropriate here...low on oil. I've been a Porsche owner for 25 years and there's always something else to learn. Thanks Chris and Phil for the responses.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jgmurray
Okaaayy...I re-checked the dip stick and maybe it was a bit low....well, maybe more than a bit as I added a quart of oil and after driving the guage responded. I think the simplest answer is appropriate here...low on oil. I've been a Porsche owner for 25 years and there's always something else to learn. Thanks Chris and Phil for the responses.
jgmurray,

How long after your drive did it take the gauge to respond? My gauge permanently sits in the red like your's did and still does after adding a quart and a 20 mile drive.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:07 PM
jgmurray
Advanced

almost immediately...I actually added more than a quart. Maybe you are still low?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jgmurray
almost immediately...I actually added more than a quart. Maybe you are still low?
That is possible, but I just don't want to overfill. I'm having a hard time deciphering smudges to actual readings with the dipstick. I'm not confident that it is low and/or my gauge sender is not working.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

The most important thing here is to try to measure at a consistent engine temp. The oil level changes quite a bit with heat. I try to measure the oil at around 9 oclock. Also need to measure on a level surface, preferably the same place all the time, like your garage. Don't feel bad about checking the stick mutliple times. I bet there aren't many of us who don't do that.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:00 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by Arrwin
That is possible, but I just don't want to overfill. I'm having a hard time deciphering smudges to actual readings with the dipstick. I'm not confident that it is low and/or my gauge sender is not working.
If your gauge still isn't reading (and the sender is good) you are likely 2+ quarts low. The guage and the dipstick read roughly (from my experience with a daily driver) 2 quarts. I don't even bother with the stick (contrary to everyone on here). The gauge will respond just about immediately when you are properly filled and go all the way to the top (pegged). I have never overfilled and thats how mine runs (and I have tracked the car with no problem like that as well)
Old 10-20-2005, 03:18 PM
jgmurray
Advanced

Reading the dipstick is a bit of an art.

Wipe the dipstick until it is completely dry, insert it all the way to the seat and then withdraw, look at it wuith the light at a glancing angle and itr is pretty apparent where the oil level is indicated. Also, why not enlist the aid of a Renn list member near you to show you how to properly read the dipstick?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Took the car out to lunch and it appears that the gauge is indeed functional as I saw some movement at ideal hovering right about the 'red' range. So....looks like my oil was/is indeed low. I will probably add a 1/2 a quart more, which should be suffice to put it back "in range".

Didn't mean to beat the topic to death, not like it already hasn't, but I guess it takes (me at least) a false alarm like this to really learn this whole aircooled thang.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:47 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Thanks guys. Took the car out to lunch and it appears that the gauge is indeed functional as I saw some movement at ideal hovering right about the 'red' range. So....looks like my oil was/is indeed low. I will probably add a 1/2 a quart more, which should be suffice to put it back "in range".

Didn't mean to beat the topic to death, not like it already hasn't, but I guess it takes (me at least) a false alarm like this to really learn this whole aircooled thang.
Thats how you learn, don't sweat it. But a half quart wont do much, it will probably cause the gauge to read at about the 4 o'clock position or less when warm. One quart should bring you to half gauge and 2 will bring you full. Oil expands (and foams) when hot, but also tends to loose viscocity as well so why run low? Fill it up, you wont hurt it. That last quart or two will go in slow, so watch out, don't rush. And you don't need it warm to fill it, start the motor to get the oil moving out of the tank and through the system, then shut 'er down and fill before it gets to hot to be in the engine compartment.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Thats how you learn, don't sweat it. But a half quart wont do much, it will probably cause the gauge to read at about the 4 o'clock position or less when warm. One quart should bring you to half gauge and 2 will bring you full. Oil expands (and foams) when hot, but also tends to loose viscocity as well so why run low? Fill it up, you wont hurt it. That last quart or two will go in slow, so watch out, don't rush. And you don't need it warm to fill it, start the motor to get the oil moving out of the tank and through the system, then shut 'er down and fill before it gets to hot to be in the engine compartment.
Thanks. I also wasn't sure if you should be filling the oil while engine is running at temp or run it to temp, shutdown, and then fill, but you just answered me.
Thanks.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:20 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Arrwin,

My oil gauge only seems to work when I change the oil, after about a week, it completely drops to empty. I may have a problem with my sender, but I've just relied on the dipstick.

-nelson

Quick Reply: Oil Guage Stuck