Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine "chatter" - What can be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 11:26 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine "chatter" - What can be wrong?

I've been having this minor engine chattering sound around 1500-2000 rpm for a while now. It only happens when the engine is fully warmed up, under light throttle, and goes away above 2000 rpm or so. The oil temperature is normal (under 9 o'clock) and I've used Techron on a regular basis. I know it is difficult to diagnose over the internet, but I appreciate any advices. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:32 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clutch in or out? does it at idle or just the rpm range? high oil consumption? or don't know?

you hadn't given much to go on. there are a lot of smart guys on here, but you've got to be as detailed in your description as possible
Old 08-25-2005, 11:59 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Not at idle, it only happens between the rpm range, and disappears as rpm rises above 2000. It sound like it's coming from the valves but hardly any chatter under full throttle in any rpm though. Could it be the 'knocking' due to low octane gas? It's 91 in So. Cal. The Oil consumption is about 1 quart/1200-1500 miles..seem normal. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:15 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No on the octane, the system is knock sensor equiped, you'd likely never hear it, if it did "ping". Could be a valve (s) with bad guides....?. The rpm range is while under excel. or just reving in the driveway? Any odd feelings in the tranny?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:46 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

If it is not something in the drivetrain, is anything loose around the exhaust?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:11 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Originally Posted by 993inNC
No on the octane, the system is knock sensor equiped, you'd likely never hear it, if it did "ping". Could be a valve (s) with bad guides....?. The rpm range is while under excel. or just reving in the driveway? Any odd feelings in the tranny?
Chris, the rpm range is while under light excel or coasting with slight gas, never when just reving in the driveway. Also very little or no chatter when under medium to heavy excel. Nothing weird about the tranny...it's the engine - it sounds like the valve chatter...could it be the guides? Thanks.

Last edited by jkuniverse; 08-26-2005 at 03:36 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:52 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could this be the sound?

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/223561-95-993-engine-tapping.html
Old 08-26-2005, 03:53 AM
jnor10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, my guess would be (by my interpretation of your description) your engine is 'pinging'. I don't know how to better describe it .

I experienced a similar symtom when I first had my car, same as you describe, a metallic sound that occured at low rpm's with the engine under a load. It usually occured stopping on a hill in my neigborhood. With the incline and the engine slightly loaded, as I feed in gas at a low RPM, I would get a higher pitched metallic sound that eminated from the valves.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/84299-name-that-ping.html

Check this out: it has some input from Steve W.

Hopefully this will help you out.

Jeff N.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:13 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Originally Posted by jnor10
well, my guess would be (by my interpretation of your description) your engine is 'pinging'. I don't know how to better describe it .

I experienced a similar symtom when I first had my car, same as you describe, a metallic sound that occured at low rpm's with the engine under a load. It usually occured stopping on a hill in my neigborhood. With the incline and the engine slightly loaded, as I feed in gas at a low RPM, I would get a higher pitched metallic sound that eminated from the valves.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84299

Check this out: it has some input from Steve W.

Hopefully this will help you out.

Jeff N.
Jeff, that is exactly the sound I was trying to describe..."loose change" "rattling kind of sound"... the sound occuring at low rpms with engine slightly loaded!!! How did you resolve the problem? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:29 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Mine makes a simlilar noise..but from a different reason I'm sure. It got always made a VERY VERY quite tapping noise..then I removed the rear seats....the noise grew exponentially. It was driving me CRAZY...then about a week ago my friend rode in the back seat...the noise completely disappeared. I jacked up the car and saw that the driver's side of my rear sway bar has a worn looking spot on the paint. My guess is that my exhaust rattles against the sway bar. No idea how to fix it. Check that out though. Just trying to help you eliminate all possibilities. ANy idea how I'd fix this noise besides putting cinderblocks in my backseat?

ADAM
Old 08-26-2005, 04:52 AM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

Hi jason,

I had exactly the same problem, for me, what solved it was the adaption of a small y-cord splitter that lives on the left hand side of the varioram induction tucked back in there. This spiltter collapses with time and effects advance/retard, causing the pinging/knocking /rattling under load. You can effect a repair with a small piece of 8mm brass tubing, there is a thread on this very problem on the board somewhere, perhaps some clever johnny can direct you to it, it certainly solved this very annoying problem for me.

Ash
Old 08-26-2005, 05:03 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Originally Posted by ASH.PALIN
Hi jason,

I had exactly the same problem, for me, what solved it was the adaption of a small y-cord splitter that lives on the left hand side of the varioram induction tucked back in there. This spiltter collapses with time and effects advance/retard, causing the pinging/knocking /rattling under load. You can effect a repair with a small piece of 8mm brass tubing, there is a thread on this very problem on the board somewhere, perhaps some clever johnny can direct you to it, it certainly solved this very annoying problem for me.

Ash
Ash, wow, I remember reading the thread a while back. I'm definitely going to take a look at the part tomorrow and see if it's collapsing. I could be wrong but I think this part is called 'Vacuum distributor' ? 993 110 573 00? Thank you.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:11 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Is this the one?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:39 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason,

I believe that's the one. The post is here...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=vacuum

FWIW, pinging, to me, sounds like marbles being rattled around in a metal can that has been wrapped in a blanket. Is that similar to the sound you're hearing?
Old 08-26-2005, 06:12 AM
jnor10
Instructor

Jason,

I would follow Steve W.'s recomendation. Use some Techron. You might want to consider Lubro Moly Ventil Sauber or Jectron.
All are considered safe for our engines.

General consensus following a can of Ventil Sauber is to do an oil change. Don't know weather your due, but this is also considered a good preventive practice as a standard.

I can't remember when it stopped. I know I have used the Ventil Sauber in the past. It hasn't re-occured, so maybe thats the ticket.

Give Steve W. a call, its worth the education.

Good Luck!

Jeff N

Quick Reply: Engine "chatter" - What can be wrong?