OT-SF Bay Area lunch stop Thursday?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question OT-SF Bay Area lunch stop Thursday?

Driving up from SoCAL for the PCA Escape to Napa on Thursday morning. We should be on I280 at mid-day. Any suggestions for a lunch place with parking for about 8 -10 Porsches? We'd prefer something between fast food and fine dining. How is the Cafe at Filoli in Woodside?

TIA

Pete
Old 08-23-2005, 02:26 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete:

I am not the Peninsula expert that other might be, but I think trying to find something along I280 once past Hwy 85 is going to be scarse. You could plan on heading off the Hwy a bit and into many of the towns such as Los Altos, Portola Valley or Woodside. You might find some place there.

I would think Filoli would be somewhat sparse and tourista...but that's just a hunch.

You might also plan on a lunch either in SF along Lombard before the GG bridge or in San Rafeal. You might find more choices for 8-10 cars worth in these areas.

$0.02.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:29 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

How far are you willing to stray from 280?

One suggestion is Alice's Restaurant up at Woodside Road (Highway 84) and Skyline Blvd. (Highway 35). You'd love the drive to get there, especially in your Porsches.

Another is in Stanford Shopping Center, either Palo Alto Creamery or Max's. Both have good food, and big parking lot.

There aren't a lot of good places right off 280 in the Peninsula, unless you count Cupertino and or Sunnyvale.

Have fun.

CP
Old 08-23-2005, 02:40 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

Second CP's Alice's Restaurant suggestion. I would love to join you.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:45 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I third Alices...
Old 08-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Default Worthwhile detour?

If you are willing to take a short (20 minute), but very simple detour, get off 280 at 92 west. Take 92 west to Half Moon Bay. On hwy 1 take a right. Go north about 1 mile and turn left where the boat marina is. There is a restaurant called Barbara's Fish Trap, at that point the town is called Priceton- By-The-Sea. Good food and you can sit right by the harbor (nice view). It's an annual stop for us on New Year's Day. If you want something a little fancier, keep going up hwy 1 until you see the sign for the Moss Beach Distillery. Turn left at the sign and go to the end of the road. You can sit inside or out on the patio. Reasonable food, great location.

Then, you can go back to hwy 280 via 92, like you came, or continue heading up hwy 1, where it will merge with 280 in Daly City. If you do the hwy 1 detour, you will extend your total drive time by about 1 hour.

Have a great time.
Michael

Last edited by Michael_Philippi; 08-23-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:42 PM
curveraider
Racer

If you are ok with ordering at a register and sitting on picnic type benches, you can't beat Alpine-Inn/Rosotti's. It is a great piece of Americana; beer bottles on the walls, carved up tables, locals that ride horse in for a beer. Straight burgers, beer and no BS. There is seating inside and out so you can relax and it is not very far off of 280. Just take the Alpine Rd exit and hang a left. It is at the corner of Alpine and Arastradero, on the left hand side (turn left on to Arastradero). The parking lot is a little bumpy, but I have not had problems with my lowered C4S.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

I second Alpine Inn, especially if it's a nice day and you want to sit outside. Downside is the dirt parking lot. For something a bit nicer, you might also try Buck's in Woodside. Good food and an entertaining space. Exit 280 to go West on Woodside Road, follow it up a bit and then look for a small strip mall on your right. If you pass a giant wooden salmon, you've gone too far.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I really liked Alice's Restaurant and Buck's but it appears that the group is in a hurry to get to Santa Rosa, so we going to do the café at Filoli in Woodside as it is right off the freeway.

I am hoping to stop by Alice's on Sunday on my way home.

If any of you are going this weekend, look for the 'Hey Wait for Me Racing" sticker on the left side window.

Cheers
Old 08-24-2005, 06:12 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buck's is closer to the freeway exit than Filioli and is a lot more fun. (Talking Bison head!)

Turn left from Woodside Rd offramp and it is in the shopping center at the corner of Canada Rd.

Filoli is probably off Edgewood Rd and then you have several miles to drive to get to the entrance of the estate and then on to the building site.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

Pete, any idea what time Thursday at Filoli or Sunday at Alice's? I could do both, but the locals might prefer Sunday. A pair of Arena Red S parked side by side is an opportunity.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Terry, I expect to be there about 12:30 or so. I will pm my cell phone number. It should work from Gilroy on, I suspect. We are leaving Magic Mountain/Valencia by 7 am, with a gas stop in Gilroy.

Sunday, I really do not know, as it will depend on how late the closing party went on Saturday night! This is a Wine Tour, after all.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default The power of the List

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for information. Local Rennlister Terry Adams decided to join us for Lunch at Filoli on Thursday. It was great meeting a guy with such a great color car!

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/minip8250072.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/minip8250073.jpg

I was intrigued about Alice's, so we had to stop there on the way home on Sunday! Super drive up the hill.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/minialices_2c.jpg
Attached Images    
Old 08-30-2005, 07:23 PM
zekksw

Pete, Thanks for the pics of Alice’s and the p-cars, glad to see it’s still there. The one of Alice’s brought back fond memories of when I lived in Woodside back in the early 70’s. Woodside road, hwy 9 and Skyline were my favorite roads for exercising my 912, very little traffic back in those days. Also, the mention of Rossotti’s makes me smile, Burgers and Beer, a great place!!
Old 08-31-2005, 12:24 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

So Pete,

You liked going west on Woodside Road to Skyline!!!. Wouldn't you know that Woodside Road (Highway 94) continues west past Skyline until it hits Highway 1. That section is spectacular as well.

You need to spend sometimes here on Sunday. Too bad I'm in Colorado then.

Enjoy.

CP

Quick Reply: OT-SF Bay Area lunch stop Thursday?