Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Suspension Install recommendations in Seattle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 05:32 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking Shop and comment...

I too have heard that Fordhall was a good place...

The originator of this string wrote, "I'm looking for recommendations for shops that do a good job, don't have an issue with me bringing Gert's goodies in and are fair in their pricing."

I agree 100%, we are all looking for:
1. Shops that do a good job,
2. Fair in their pricing,
3. Don't have an issue with me bringing Gert's goodies.

Good god...how much can they gouge you for suspension? Me personally, I am willing to pay a little more to keep my guys in business. But put that issue aside, that's for you to decide. By the way, when is the last time you brought your own gold into the dentist's office?

What you want is someone who REALLY knows what they are doing with 993 suspension, especially the rear. Setting up 993 suspension properly is a real art form...for example, does the shop have experience setting the rear anti-bump steer also known as kinematic toe? There is no better time to set the car up properly when the suspension is going in...the springs are out of the car. Screw up the kinematic toe and you defeat the purpose of the LSA 993 suspension.

There is a good ole boy from Yazoo Mississippi, Zig Zigler who has some words for us. He says that sometimes it is better to pay a little more and get exactly what you want. This is a one time event and you are satisfied.

Let's say you do the suspension on the cheap, the installation doesn't go all that well, and everytime you look at the car, much less drive it, you say to yourself, damn, I could have avoided all this hassle if I had found the expert shop, and done it right the first time.

I just had my suspension alignment done over, hopefully for the last time. Step one, kinematic toe, followed by the corner balance and alignment process. Could I have had the job done cheaper...certainly, probably about 40% cheaper!

I am willing to pay more because of the precision of the job. The LSA rear suspension is one of the most unique features of the 993. I wanted it done right to the tightest specs possible.

Am I pleased? Indeed I am. I want my guy to pay his bills too, and to be there for me when I have questions and or concerns. Did I pay a little extra, I did and was pleased to do it.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:57 AM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another recommendation for Group 2. They are very thorough and reasonably priced.

-John
Old 08-23-2005, 01:19 PM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Dennis
I met you at the Driver skill day a few months back. I also recomend group 2. I brought the suspension and they did the install. A local Porsche shop has them do all their alignments and suspension work. Ask for Chris, he was very thorough and reasonably priced when he installed mine.

Greg
Old 08-23-2005, 01:29 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

One thing to ALWAYS remember is that the shop needs to be able to adjust the kinematic correctly. Most of the shops could be competent in aligning the car in the traditional way but very few actually know about the kinematic and the special tool it requires. Our 993's are not normal cars in tha sense so make sure that you ask the shop how they are planning to set the kinematic and if they dont know how walk away...
Just my 02...

Quick Reply: Suspension Install recommendations in Seattle?