Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

I use this one. Works as described.

obddiagnostics.com
Old 08-19-2005, 03:13 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Sitting won't cause the ports to clog....but short trips might.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:16 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lowblow
Wow, only 27K miles. When I purchased my 96 with 57K miles I wasn't sure I did the right thing. But over a year later everything is still great.

This, (in my mind), is proof positive that it harms these cars to just sit.

Mike
I agree Mike. But in all fairness, we do have arena red cars, which are known to be the most reliable.

I vote for attempting to give it an extended italian tune up. Drive that car hard for a couple of weeks.

At 27k I would not rebuild.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:31 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would get second opinion if it is really a SAI problem. If you cannot find a good mechanic recommendaton from the board in your area - contact your local PCA tech / President and get his/her opinion where to go. Also contact PO and determine where car was serviced, and where you had your PPI. Get as much history about car as possible. It is very unusual with 27K orginal miles.

If it was me, I would put a bottle of Techron or BG-44 with tank of gas, and redo again the second time while driving car hard after it is warmed up. . Than have car checked for OBD11 codes.

I would not disregard the light by putting tape over light, or pulling bulb. If you do see the CEL light flashing, I would than become concerned and have it looked at quickly.

Let us know. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:43 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dmcentee
In Missouri a used car that is sold 'As is' with no warranty does not appear to qualify under the lemon law.
Was your 993 purchased from a dealer or an individual? When it comes to emissions testing it doesn't matter if the car was sold "as is", Missouri Revised Statutes -- 643.315.5. The gateway clean air program has a help sheet HERE and don't forget to file a complaint with EPA stating that your 27k mile MY96 failed because of a defective emissions control part.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

I can't imagine disconnecting the CEL. It's there to tell you to check that your $10,000 engine is OK.

But at 27K, I have a hard time believing an SAI code is more than some gunk that could be cleaned out with some of the less intrusive and less expensive methods described. Try some Techron or Ventil Sauber first, then the flush methods before dropping $5k to have someone take the engine apart.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine disconnecting the CEL. It's there to tell you to check that your $10,000 engine is OK
Is the CEL really tell you your engine is ok or does it tell you it's emissons are within the parameters programmed in the computer.

I've been told some people who convert their cars for track use remove the bulb .
Old 08-19-2005, 05:37 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. No
I can't imagine disconnecting the CEL. It's there to tell you to check that your $10,000 engine is OK.

But at 27K, I have a hard time believing an SAI code is more than some gunk that could be cleaned out with some of the less intrusive and less expensive methods described. Try some Techron or Ventil Sauber first, then the flush methods before dropping $5k to have someone take the engine apart.
Not that it's the case necessarily with this car, but after research I learned that mine started to CEL way back at 25k miles.. the PO tried many fixes and finally unplugged the lamp. It's not unheard of for these cars to have clogged SAI passages this early.

Steve W could chime in and agree I think.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:40 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimwood
I agree Mike. But in all fairness, we do have arena red cars, which are known to be the most reliable.

I vote for attempting to give it an extended italian tune up. Drive that car hard for a couple of weeks.

At 27k I would not rebuild.
IIRC, it's been previously established that no amount of "italian tune up" will resolve a SAI problem.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:47 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an very inexpensive laptop-ready unit from Laplogger(www.laplogger.com). (no affiliation.........). It's about $60. Can read/reset ODBII codes. Also used it successfully to verify that all the readiness codes were "ready" before going in for emissions testing.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Targa
IIRC, it's been previously established that no amount of "italian tune up" will resolve a SAI problem.
I probably would agree that an "Italian Tune-up" will not RESOLVE an already existing SAI problem, but I believe (ok...I hope) it will PREVENT or at least delay it.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron
Is the CEL really tell you your engine is ok or does it tell you it's emissons are within the parameters programmed in the computer.

I've been told some people who convert their cars for track use remove the bulb .

I'm pretty sure the light will go on for many reasons, other than clogged SAI ports, that you'd want to know about right away, like "HEY, SOMETHING HAPPENED AND YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF OIL". But I'm not a wrench, I just play one on Rennlist, and I realize there is a reason they call it an "idiot light".
Old 08-19-2005, 06:26 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. No
I'm pretty sure the light will go on for many reasons, other than clogged SAI ports, that you'd want to know about right away, like "HEY, SOMETHING HAPPENED AND YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF OIL". But I'm not a wrench, I just play one on Rennlist, and I realize there is a reason they call it an "idiot light".
Good point. Exactly the reason why I'd be very hesitant to just remove the bulb.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure the light will go on for many reasons
I'm sure you're right. Like your spoiler is not going up and down like it should.

I guess the real question is if you maintain your car and can recognize that something is not working right you could diagnosis it like we used to do before CEL and fix it. I am not a professional mechcanic so I don't know for sure how important it is to have the CEL able to illuminate if there is a fault.

Here's an alternative to those that don't like the idea of the CEL bulb being removed. Remove the bulb and pull the codes every few days you drive the car with one of the inexpensive code readers and see if you have anything besides the SAI issue.

If I was dmcentee and my car ran perfectly, did not burn undo amount of oil I'd remove the bulb after trying to flush the ports if that did not clear the code.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:43 AM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The CEL does not even function on normally aspirated UK cars. If it was to indicate a major problem, surely UK cars would need the light too. Turbo cars, however, have this light working.
It looks like it's function is to keep you in line with your stringent emission laws.

Quick Reply: Dreaded clogged SAI