Sponsored by:

Dreaded clogged SAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005 | 10:24 AM
dmcentee
Advanced

Default Dreaded clogged SAI

Hi,

I have owned my 1996 993 with 27K miles on it for about two weeks and the check engine light came on. Took the car to a Porsche dealer who read the codes and says that there is a fault in the SAI system. The air pump is working, so it seems likely that it's plugged ports. Dealer estimates $5K to fix.

I have read a number of posts here about flushing the SAI ports, but there seems to be a variety of methods and at least one post says that the flush didn't work.

Some questions:

1) has anyone determined the 'best' flush method ?
2) does anyone know of a shop in Missouri that has experience or talent to do the flush ?
3) how do you take the CEL light out ?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2005 | 10:41 AM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

If you've only owned it for two weeks have you contacted the seller about the problem?
You can check the SAI flush procedure on Robin's web site:
www.p-car.com
Good luck, hope you get it worked out.
Old 08-19-2005 | 10:48 AM
zwoobah
Instructor

Depending on where you bought/registered the car, you should still be under the 30-day lemon law, especially since the car will not pass emissions with the CE light on. So you can legally return the car to the seller, or make them pay for the repair. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2005 | 10:53 AM
95beema
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zwoobah
Depending on where you bought/registered the car, you should still be under the 30-day lemon law, especially since the car will not pass emissions with the CE light on. So you can legally return the car to the seller, or make them pay for the repair. Good luck!
Pursue this if it is legit. Then just do the flush yourself. There are DIY instructions on p-car.com and look pretty straight forward. GL
Old 08-19-2005 | 10:54 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Best methods for cleaning involve the least amount of disassembly, or at least minimizing this, which will minimize the dinero outlay.

Better, cheaper methods are available, and from recent reports, these not-so invasive SAI fixes seem to be effective.
Old 08-19-2005 | 12:06 PM
dmcentee
Advanced

In Missouri a used car that is sold 'As is' with no warranty does not appear to qualify under the lemon law. ;-(

Still need help

1) finding a place in Missouri who can do the flush (St. Louis area would be best)

2) How do you take the CEL light bulb out ?
Old 08-19-2005 | 12:08 PM
infinii
Instructor

2) The cheapest (and easiest) CEL hack I've seen on this forum is the 'tape hack'. Get some tape and cover the light so it's not visible.
Old 08-19-2005 | 12:14 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

When the SAI issue throws the CEL, does the computer in any way hamper the overall performance of the car? Do the clogged ports in question lead to additional, long-term problems?

Andreas
Old 08-19-2005 | 12:22 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Hi,
Sorry to hear about the CEL (check engine light) code.
Dealerships being (ahem!) $tealerships I would get a second opinion on the EXACT codes -- either by you going to Autozone and WRITING DOWN the codes or by getting a buddy with a code scanner (OBD-ii and "iso" capable protocol) and, again, WRITING DOWN the codes.
Remember, there are 6 ports so there's a good chance that NOT ALL of them are clogged!!!
Personally speaking? ...I would clear the code(s) with my code scanner (Matco 9620) -- note I did NOT say disconnect the battery!!! -- and put a can of Berryman's B12 in the gas-tank at EVERY fill-up.
With your car also being a '96 (therefore having varioram engine) - I would do this:
At the top of the engine - on the intake manifold - you should see two vacuum lines side by side. One of them is a 'plug'. (Well, it is on my engine). Get the engine to operating temp and remove the rubber plug. If you put your finger to the hole you should feel a 'suck'. Using a funnel and a straw -- "slowly introduce" the contents of a can of ...Berryman's B12 ...being careful NOT to put too much in as it may 'hydro-lock' which is a bad thing. Just slowly introduce it so that you get a lot of black smoke out the pipes along with a bit of chugging and lurching of the engine.
When you've used up the can -- put back the rubber vacuum plug and go driving. BTW, don't be too surprised if this causes your CEL to go on as the "misfire" sensors will be triggered. Hence have a code scanner ready to clear the CEL.
This 'cheap' and 'non intrusive' method -- along with the B12 (or Seafoam for that matter) in your gas tank may just save your bacon!
Gerry
Old 08-19-2005 | 12:23 PM
kbonnel
Advanced

Originally Posted by AOW162435
When the SAI issue throws the CEL, does the computer in any way hamper the overall performance of the car? Do the clogged ports in question lead to additional, long-term problems?

Andreas
From what I read, it won't affect performance or anything. What you really need to ask yourself, is if the clog is due to lack of driving, thus not allowing the engine to burn up the carbon, or from bad valve guides which are causing excess carbon (or something like that) It just won't allow you to pass smog inspection if they check the computer codes (if they do that in your state).

Kimo
Old 08-19-2005 | 12:34 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

I may be mistaken but I thought I'd heard horror stories of owners screwing up the varioram by using carb/injector cleaners? Other than adding Techron to the gas or following a SAI cleaning procedure, I'd be very cautious.
Old 08-19-2005 | 01:02 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Do a search... TONS of info on this subject posted here.

Questions I would ask are:

- How clogged are the ports? A good tech should be able to pinpoint the clog and determine severity.
- How are the valve guides? Is the car burning oil?

This sounds very similar to my story which is well documented here on Rennlist. If I were you, I'd be ALL OVER the seller (dealer or PP?). Somebody knew about this which is why the car was sold. Did you get a good deal on it?

Sorry this had to happen to you... it sucks.
Old 08-19-2005 | 01:02 PM
lowblow
Racer

Wow, only 27K miles. When I purchased my 96 with 57K miles I wasn't sure I did the right thing. But over a year later everything is still great.

This, (in my mind), is proof positive that it harms these cars to just sit. I hope you find a cost effective solution to your problem. I'm sure that eventually I too will have to cross this bridge.

Good Luck. Please keep us informed.

Mike
Old 08-19-2005 | 02:10 PM
dmcentee
Advanced

OK - what's a good ODB-II code reader that can also reset the CEL ? Does anyone have experience with type that let's you connect your laptop to the ODB ?

Thanks so much for all of your ideas so far
Old 08-19-2005 | 02:31 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

I really like the Equus/Innova 3100 that I bought at Kragen. It's much simpler than the laptop ones and much smaller than a laptop. It fits nicely in my door pocket.

Quick Reply: Dreaded clogged SAI