First ever oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default First ever oil leak!

I'm probably way overdue to have some oil leaks on the 993 (I've seen it all on my other 911's). Last night I noticed a 7" splotch on the garage floor. I jacked her up and sure enough, it was wet on the rear cross member, just below where the engine case and tranny mate. Could be the flywheel seal. TPC said it was best to leave it alone when they had the engine out. So it's original to the car (48k miles). There's also a hard oil line on the passenger side of that area, where I noticed part of a shredded O-ring protruding from the joint. I'll have her on a lift this weekend and will pray it's just that O-ring. I don't mind yanking the engine out to replace the flywheel seal, but I can't stand to pay for another alignment after it was just done in April. Sorry, no photos.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 560 Posts

Timing chain cover is another one to check while the engine is out.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope for you it's just the O'ring!
After my engine removal, I had a "splotch" under the right front of the engine. Stress... but finally it appears to come from the power steering pump, where a connection was not tight enough. The oil was finding it's way to the front before dripping on the floor...
Old 08-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar, though smaller, oil leak. It was the oil ring. Hope that is it on yours.

Quick Reply: First ever oil leak!