Sponsored by:

lotus elise???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 08:52 AM
aap
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lotus elise???

anyone experienced the elise? Any comments? My wife loves this car, I know nothing about it, searching web artilces but thought I'd pole the crew here. Thanks.
Ap
Old 08-18-2005, 08:58 AM
MGA
Addict
Rennlist Member

My buddy bought one. It's like a go kart, only smaller! Gtraet weightower, outstanding handling, but definitely not something you'd enjoy being in more that 30 minutes at a stretch. Difficult ergonomics.

He drove my car after he got used to his for a few months...his comment, "why didn't i drive a 993 before i purchased...will you trade?".
Old 08-18-2005, 09:18 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

I came across one last night during the evening bump-n-grind home. It's been a long time since a car gave me automotive "wood". The Elise does it for me!

......now I've just got figure a way to get a ride in one at my next track day
Old 08-18-2005, 09:31 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I considered one last year when I ended up purchasing my 1996 C2. I am soooooooo glad I did not buy the Elise. They are virtually impossible for me to get into and out of, I am 6' 4" tall. Every owner that I have talked to would not buy one again if given the option to go back in time. That pretty much sums it up for me. I think they are very good looking cars with amazing performance, but more of a toy than a useable car.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:42 AM
kbonnel
Advanced

I love the 993, and almost purchased one a month back. But I am starting to question myself, specifically if I want to spend 30k + for a 8 - 10 year old car, or around 45k for a new Lotus. I really love the looks of the elise, and it would be new (with warranty). Little more money than I had planned though. I really want a coupe (and the elise with a hardtop fits my bill (and it looks like a coupe, not like a convertable with a hardtop) so the boxter is out, and the Cayman is too much. I could look at a 996, but I don't like the looks as much as the 993/elise. I will hold off on any purchase for another 6 months, and see if there is a non s version of the Cayman.

Kimo
Old 08-18-2005, 10:53 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kimo,

$30K+ for an 8-10 year old car can seem a bit pricey. However, remember that if properly maintained your 993 purchase is a relatively non-depreciating asset. This is definitely NOT the case with the Elise. Warranties are definitely a plus, but you are looking at a car that is 50% on initial purchase. Have you driven an Elise?? If not, then there is absolutely no reason to progress this far with even thinking about one. One ride in one and you will DEFINITELY know if it is a car you can live with. It is not a car I could live with, and I work at home and only drive about 5000 miles a year, and have a bad weather car also.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:05 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Kimo--if you love the Elise hold off for the Exige--basically an Elise with a hardtop--should be here in a year or so. Has been across the pond for quite some time.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:28 AM
aap
Advanced

I am not 6'4" and would only use it for weekend, hourlong drives...but definitley need to drive one before even seriously considering.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ventoGT
Kimo--if you love the Elise hold off for the Exige--basically an Elise with a hardtop--should be here in a year or so. Has been across the pond for quite some time.
The Exige will even be harder to get in (although like the Elise, the top does come off) and is even more extreme (you can barely see out back).

For a $40K road-legal track car with low running costs, nothing will beat the Elise (although I'm sure the spec Miata guys might disagree!).

If you primarily purpose is fun short weekend jaunts and track days, the Elise would be awesome. I don't own one but used to own an S2 Esprit (under constant state of restoration!). Even with the bigger Esprit, doing groceries was a pain. Reversing was by sitting on the sill while backing up the car.

Given how I use the 993 these days, I do once in awhile wish I bought an Elise, but overall think I still made the better choice. Maybe I'll pick one up a few years down the road closer to $20K as a track toy.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

We have an Elise and a 993.

You don't get in the Elise, you wear it. If you are near 5'10" the Elise will fit you. It fits me like an oversized winter jacket (I'm 5'2"). FYI - You can only move the seat forward and back, and the passenger seat does not move at all.

The Elise has the biggest blind spots of any car I've ever been in. That's one of the reasons it is hard as a daily driver. You will need to change the mirrors to aspheric.

It is a fun little car on the track. It makes driving effortless. The torque on the low end is missing, so you really have to keep it high in the rpm range to get the performance.

I have not gotten that "feeling" from the Elise like I do in my 993. It's just not the same, doesn't have that soul. It's a fun car no doubt. If you have a chance at an extended test drive, that will be the best indicator for you.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

i had one. i sold it for family reasons. i still love the car. it's a great weekend street machine. however, if you are 6 feet tall or bigger than 36" waist, it's a torture chamber. it's light and very fast up to 100mph, then runs out of steam. has great potential as a track car if you put in some big dollar suspenison, seats, harness roll bar etc. as is, it's a bit soft (i had sport suspension) for track use, but wonderful street canyon carver, if you have a strong back (i do mean it).
Old 08-18-2005, 02:37 PM
kbonnel
Advanced

Thx for all the good info. My next car (sports car ) will just be a fun weekend driver, and I agree, I won't make any real decisions until I drive a couple and really see if I like/love it (in a couple of weeks). I keep looking at the Elise for a couple of reasons. 1. It is new, has a warranty, and I will have peace of mind (which I find very very important, and worth a lot of my money). 2. Damn I just love how it looks. (with the top on and off (though mostly with the top on) 3. Lower cost to maintain (when compared to a 8-10 year old car that is). Not sure how it will compare after the warranty runs out. (how expensive can a Toyota 4cyl be?) 4. Did I mention the looks 5. Not very many of them, which adds to the appeal. 6. Getting in and out. I find it pretty cool (watched a couple of videos on it)

Some of the cons for me: 1. Small fish in a big SUV world. 2. Cost to maintain (still not cheap) Yea I know I am contradicting myself. 3. Higher insurance costs (29/single/no kids = more money than the 95/96 993)

It is kind of an exiting time. I will eventually get the car that makes me exited everytime I look at it. (you know, wake up in the middle of the night and run down to the garage not believing that it belongs to you.

Kimo
Old 08-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Olav A.
Racer

My friend has one. It's ok. I'm happier in my 914-6 3.2 though. Nicer sound and general experience.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:25 PM
aap
Advanced

kimo- I too am all about the looks! PS, what about "how you get in and out" is there something I don't know???
Old 08-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Kimo - all good reasons. Definitely drive both cars as much as you can before making a decision.

You might also consider an extended warranty for the 993. I have one, and they paid for my valve guide repair, replaced 1st and 2nd gear, too (my car now has 113k miles on it, so no garage queen here). Keep in mind if you add depreciation and maintenance costs, you may be better off with the 10 year old tried and true 993. FYI - our Elise has had the steering rack replaced, the AC fixed a couple times, and some other piddly but annoying problems with the headlight housing. It's been back to the shop about 5 times since February. Yeah, warranty covered it, but at less than 5k miles, I would expect better. The AC still sucks, as per design. The passenger can't even feel the AC because the seat is too far back from the vents. Funny thing is, on hot days we drive my 993 because the AC is far superior to the Elise... and people post here complaining of the 993 AC!!

I would also suggest going to the Elisetalk board and seeing what they have to say. There was also a thread about the Elise on this board several months ago. Do a search and see what folks had to say.

Quick Reply: lotus elise???