Sponsored by:

SF Bay Area Service Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 02:31 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SF Bay Area Service Recommendations?

Now that Viperbob is moving to Florida, where is everyone going to take their cars for repairs and service?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,792 Likes on 2,373 Posts

eric, i take it to tc design and have tony work on it. just call him up and ask what he can or cannot do. he's straight up. tcdesignfab.com

worked on my 993c2s, 996c2, c4s and gT3.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you not keep having Devek service the car? You don't really think Bob did all the work, on all the 911s that came through there, do you? The Devek folks are great people, with an honest reputation. Until something happens that proves me wrong, they are still going to get my business. I will miss Bob however.
No affiliation, yada, yada, yada....

Michael
Old 08-15-2005, 01:43 PM
mborkow
Drifting

i take my car to heyer performance (www.heyerperformance.com) and am very happy with the work (including the valve job i had about a year ago).
Old 08-15-2005, 01:46 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't say I wasn't going to stay at Devek. And of course Bob didn't do all the work, but I felt that he made sure that things were done as best they could on the cars he managed. Just looking at all the possibilities. However, Bob was the main reason I went to Devek. They used to be primarily a 928 shop, of course that's changed a bit now. I don't have any complaints about Devek, but some people do.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll probably give Kahler's (Dublin) a try for my next service. My goal is to find a place where I can talk directly to someone with significant experience with 993s when writing up the work order, rather than going through a "service advisor" who doesn't have any direct experience with the type.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:54 PM
mborkow
Drifting

that is one of the reasons i like heyer performance (no affiliation) so much is that thye don't have a service advisor. there are two mechanics (one is the owner, tony) and tony's wife who takes the calls when tony is under a car and can't get the phone himself.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:24 PM
moeck
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I have known Tony Heyer for over 35 years, and if anything he has integrity. What many don't know is that Tony was on the 24 hr. Le Man's and Daytona winning team (and many other winning races) of Barbour racing back in the heydays of 935's. Ask Bruce Anderson who he is, this guy knows his stuff. He also maintains many race cars for clients and not just Porsches. Tony is a totally low profile guy, no ego. He still gets calls to go to the big races and participate. You won't go wrong with Tony, he is brutally honest!!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

I haven't used them, but I know a picky 993 owner who's very satisfied with Reitmer's Werkstatt in Los Altos. For those in the North Bay, there's also S-Car Go. They did my PPI and I was very pleased.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:17 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"I have known Tony Heyer for over 35 years, and if anything he has integrity"
100%. he has advised me not to do work which would have made him a pretty penny...i've never heard of a mechanic telling a customer that they don't need something when the customer asks if it should be done. when he does find a problem he calls me up, has me come over, shows me what is going on, and goes over all my options. totally right about the ego as well...he doesn't even advertise. i heard about him from some other p-car mechanics in the bay area, drove over to his shop to meet him and have been a loyal customer ever since. on top of all that, he has never made me wait more than two business days for an appointment, and he handled my one emergency (steering rack) the same day i brought it in (in fact, he had it all ready --including alignment-- before 4 pm!)
Old 08-15-2005, 07:46 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Before ViperBob, I brought my cars to Bob Grigsby at RMG in Sunnyvale. He is the owner and main mechanic in a small shop. He was very honest and did not try to get you to do work you did not need. If it could wait, he told you so. I was always happy with his work.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 561 Posts

To me, a good service is comprised of these components:
1. general mechanical knowledge
2. specific 993 knowledge where it differs significantly from other Porsche models
3. trust resulting from demonstrated willingness to get it right no matter what
4. tools, testers and training.

Bob rebuilt my motor - superbly, as both the butt-o-meter and real dyno shows - and I will miss him sorely when he leaves, however ...
I spent time talking to Marc and Russ during the HID DIY install, the recent Devek open house, and a recent service. I would take my car there again for an oil change, a 30K service, a suspension install, and another engine rebuild.

I had my previous '87 and current 993 serviced at another shop until this year. Their specialty was older 911s, and my 993 was one of the first in there. I only left them because they were in some ownership transition issues on which I will not elaborate here or in PM. My point as it relates to Devek is, the previous independent did great work on 2 Porsches for 15 years and about 200K miles, the 993 of which was not their specialty either. I feel Devek is capable of the same results on my car.

Just voting with my wallet, you vote with yours. No affiliation.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:31 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Have any of you asked VB where he would recommend you go?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Fastest928
Rennlist Member

Hi Terry,
Thank you for the vote of confidence. Ross actually did the engine work on your car.

Ross and myself are DEVEKs engine builders. Ross has built more 911/993/993TT engines than I have 928s or large displacement 911 engines ... at least "large" for the late seventies when I was building them for racers.

Bob Grigsby and his team really do exceptional work on 911/993's, should those of you currently being serviced by DEVEK decide to go elsewhere. They have my vote of confidence and are some of the best minds in the Porsche business.

Eric, if you know someone who is unhappy with DEVEKs work, please have them give me a call. We have been in business since 1992 selling parts, servicing Porsches since 1995, and plan to be around for a long time. We are not here for the quick "money", we are here for the long term and are comitted to the customer satisfaction.

As mentioned by Michael, the work done on 993/996's was also performed by other DEVEK technicians, as well as by Bob. Hopefully, DEVEK has served this community well and has earned your trust and business. Those of you who continue to have your Porsche serviced by the DEVEK team should know that we will continue to service your vehicles with the highest quality workmanship and standards possible.

Thank you for your continued support during this transistion. Bob was an integral part of our team, and as such, shared his knowledge of the 993 with our technicians, and has a vested interest in our success. And although I cannot speak for Bob, I am sure he will encourage all of DEVEKs customers to support both our service business as well as our internet/mail order.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to give me a call at 650-369-3383.

Best Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Fastest928; 08-16-2005 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
eric, i take it to tc design and have tony work on it. just call him up and ask what he can or cannot do. he's straight up. tcdesignfab.com

worked on my 993c2s, 996c2, c4s and gT3.
Another vote for Tony & TC Design...just like Mooty says, will never bs you or recommend something that's not necessary.

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area Service Recommendations?