993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Interior Door Handle disconnecting

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 11:56 AM
tk421
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Interior Door Handle disconnecting

I recently purchased a '95 993 C4 Cab, which I love. However, the driver's side door handle (interior) keeps disconnecting - the bar which connects the inside of the door handle to the mechanism inside the door keeps coming out of the interior latch mechanism. It's easy enough to fix, but a big PITA.

Two questions:
1. Is anyone else having this problem?
2. Anyone have some recommendations for a permanent fix?

Thanks,

--tkr
Old 08-11-2005, 12:24 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

TKR -

That does sound like a pain.

Have to considering simply using a zip-tie to capture the rod/ball inside the bracket?

Old 08-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you need a new clip. (As shown in the photo above)
If it's worn, the rod will keep popping out.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:06 PM
tk421
3rd Gear

Default thanks, but the problem is on the other end

thanks for the feedback. the problem, however, is not on the handle side - that part stays clipped. The problem is that the bar disconnects inside the door - so that the bar remains clipped to the handle, but not the lock mechanism inside the door. does that make sense?
Old 08-12-2005, 02:08 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought there was another clip (the same as the one outside) on the inside of the door. There is a little hinge point that transfers the rod pulled by the handle to a cable that opens the door. Replace both clips and it should stay on well. To check pull the door panel off and try to attach the rod. It should click into the clip quite solidy and you have to pressure it off. If its a loose fit or does not "click" then replace the clip...they are really cheap.

Why do I know? Just did my passenger one!

Cheers,

Miike
Old 08-12-2005, 10:37 AM
tk421
3rd Gear

Default thanks!

thanks! that makes sense - I don't think it is clipped in right now.

where can I get replacement clips (anyone have the part number)? I've never seen them in mid-america or any of the other catalogs i have.

thanks again.

--tkr
Old 08-12-2005, 11:50 AM
mcuozzo
Instructor

Try www.pelicanparts.com, you can do search but the website is a little cumbersome. Give them a call and they'll search for the part. They can get any porsche part. They are extremely helpful and patient.

Matt
Old 08-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Likely easiest to go to your local Porsche stealer and buy them over the counter...should be less than $1/piece. Certainly the fastest anyways...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-12-2005, 04:05 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it's time to take off the door panel...

http://p-car.com/diy/ard/
Old 10-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Austin993
Track Day

Default Hinge rod installation question

Originally Posted by Mike J
I thought there was another clip (the same as the one outside) on the inside of the door. There is a little hinge point that transfers the rod pulled by the handle to a cable that opens the door. Replace both clips and it should stay on well. To check pull the door panel off and try to attach the rod. It should click into the clip quite solidy and you have to pressure it off. If its a loose fit or does not "click" then replace the clip...they are really cheap.

Why do I know? Just did my passenger one!

Cheers,

Miike
I just ordered new plastic clips and a new door hinge rod. My question is about the installation of the new parts. the middle of the rod has a turn buckle. Do I clip the two ends (one on the inner handle, and the other inside the door) and then thread the ends into the turn buckle as the last step? Can't find anything on this subject.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The "turn buckle" pretty well stays as it is. The ends of the turn buckle are right angle bends...those go into the new plastic clips. The clip has a positive lock onto the shaft of the turnbuckle once connected. Usually, the inner door clip stays there, and you replace the one on the pull handle. I usually have the "turnbuckle" attached to the door mechanism with the door panel off, put the door panel back on, threading the rod through the panel, and then attach the main door pull, then the latch.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Austin993
Track Day

Thumbs up Thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by Mike J
The "turn buckle" pretty well stays as it is. The ends of the turn buckle are right angle bends...those go into the new plastic clips. The clip has a positive lock onto the shaft of the turnbuckle once connected. Usually, the inner door clip stays there, and you replace the one on the pull handle. I usually have the "turnbuckle" attached to the door mechanism with the door panel off, put the door panel back on, threading the rod through the panel, and then attach the main door pull, then the latch.

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks for the answer. I tried this method with my old, worn plastic clips but it slipped out. I'm sure this had more to do with the worn clips than the installation method. I appreciate the help.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin993
I just ordered new plastic clips and a new door hinge rod. My question is about the installation of the new parts. the middle of the rod has a turn buckle. Do I clip the two ends (one on the inner handle, and the other inside the door) and then thread the ends into the turn buckle as the last step? Can't find anything on this subject.
Austin993,

Can you post the part numbers. I need the inside the door clip and the rod with turnbuckle.

Thanks,
Old 11-17-2018, 11:29 AM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

updating this thread following my own repair of said problem. The part number of the plastic clip is 99353156300; might have cost a buck or so apiece.

Quick Reply: 993 Interior Door Handle disconnecting