Porsche certified does not mean D%CK

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 10:36 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Alex, you would not believe just how short term that thinking really is. It _literally_ does not extend beyond the point when the customer walks out the door. I've seen it from inside for a year at a pretty fancy Audi dealership... it's hard to fathom. If I ever finish the book about this... here, read a chapter: http://www.mikest.com/cars/audi60.doc
Great story, BTW..... I would have pegged David as a sociopath.

One pesky comment on the first two paragraphs to help you avoid the editor sneer...... Early adaptors should be Early adopters. Also, Standard fair should be Standard fare.

Let us know when the book is done....... I love to see the psychology of selling.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:03 AM
rockwoodfarm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, If you happened to buy from a MA dealer, you may have recourse. MA is an incredibly consumercentric state and the AG's office as well as the state office of consumer protection do not take kindly to dealers sticking it to their customers. It's one thing to get a bad deal it's quite another to intentionally decieve a buyer. Intent and the actual representations made by the dealer could make a substantial difference here. Document what you can and get representation. Sorry to hear of this crappy situation.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:02 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
Great story, BTW..... I would have pegged David as a sociopath.

One pesky comment on the first two paragraphs to help you avoid the editor sneer...... Early adaptors should be Early adopters. Also, Standard fair should be Standard fare.

Let us know when the book is done....... I love to see the psychology of selling.
Thanks, Scott!

This is completely unedited. I write mostly on the planes flying accross Atlantic, so there's limited time and unlimited booz :-)
The book will have 121 chapters - a number of cars I've sold in 8.5 months. I did this stint to hone my sales skills. Just 1-2 pages for each customer. Plus some editorial comments once in a while. Do you think someone would be interested in reading that?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:47 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

I know I would buy a copy. I think if you positioned it as the psychology of buying, it would do well.

I recommend a book by the guy who owns the Tasca Ford dealerships in R.I/Mass area. I think his name is Bob Tasca.
The book is called "You will be Satisfied". It chronicles the reason unhappy buyers return cars and break deals. It is a quick read and enternaining. Mostly set in the '70s & '80s. It talks about how a girl returned a Mustang citing mechanical issues but the root cause of her anxiety was she did not like the color. She was pressured into buying the one on the lot and not waiting for the desired car.

Good stuff......... Good luck with the book and sign me up for one.

Scott
Old 08-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Enjoyable read, Mike!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:21 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks, gents!

I will try to find that book, Scott. I usually recommend that people read Remar Sutton's "Don't get taken every time" as a good book on buying anything. Although the longer I live the more I understand that the best deal is not the one where the least money was spent, but where both parties walk away satisfied.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 942 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
...the best deal is not the one where the least money was spent, but where both parties walk away satisfied.
So true, and a concept especially applicable to those shopping for a 993, where few are available in the condition, color and geography we want. I would only add, nor is the best deal the one where the most money is spent. Due diligence and PPI, then pay what the car is worth.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi all, I dropped the car off yesterday and headed fro Nantucket Isalnd for a week. The dealer assures me that when I return the car will be mint and the price was/is reduced. As I was looking for a "driver" and not a collector I told them I did not mind a "ding". Stay tuned. Cheers
BTW=my Suburban drives great on sand! any listers on ACK this week?
Steve

Quick Reply: Porsche certified does not mean D%CK