Sponsored by:

993 NB bumper conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 07:08 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 993 NB bumper conversion

My car's in the shop for some very minor body work to my front bumper cover. It is the stock US 993 NB bumper w/ bumperettes.

I viewed this as an opportunity to remove the bumperettes, have the bumper cover prep'd, and go back with clear euro corners. Well, the body shop (which is a reputable Porsche shop here in Orange County, Ca) says they can't reasonably fill in the holes left in the cover by the bumperettes. Apparently, the removal of the bumperettes leaves very large holes in the cover that the shop said would not hold up well to regular expansion from elements (heat, cold, etc.).

Have people had success converting the regular stock bumper to clear euro corners without bumperettes? Any issues with this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:26 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You know, when I saw your original thread about the bumper a week or so ago, I though about asking whether you realized that the bumperettes don't just come out; as you now know, there is a sizable cutout for them. Me being me, I didn't want to bother/insult you with a detail that you might already know (you now know the inner workings of your car far better than I know mine!) and I couldn't quite tell from your posts if you realized it or not. It turns out that I should have said something. Sorry.

Anyway, our illustrious leader has performed this very task. Check this thread. You may want to contact him (or maybe John D. can jump in here) to find out how it has held up. He faces greater temperature variations than you would here, so it should be a pretty good test.

Continued good luck with all of the work you're doing on your car (voluntarily or not!).
Old 08-10-2005, 07:40 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several RLers have performed the bumperette fill procedure. Some even did their own paint. With good results I might add. Some just opt for the euro/turbo bumper and respray.

I think Steve (ca993twin) had his done on Waldo too.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:14 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmmm.... I did mine using John D. s' DIY, came out perfect and after a year no sign of patch failure.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:59 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't usually like the black rims...but those look awesome (must be the red / black combo); your bumper looks pretty good also :-)
Old 08-10-2005, 09:12 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

mborkow....Thanks, gives a kind'a retro look .

One other thing I might mention, after the the respray was compleat I did the euro version invinca shield as a DIY (didn't come out perfect....looks pretty darn good though).

Old 08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've spoken with Deshler's and they're just not comfortable with patching that large of a gap and have said they've never done it themselves on any other 993. I guess for now I'll just live with the bumperettes and maybe get the cut clear corners at some point... or maybe a euro turbo bumper?

Need to let my VERY understanding wife get out of sticker-shock mode before I attempt anything too spendy in the near future though.

Cheers!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:33 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trojanman
Need to let my VERY understanding wife get out of sticker-shock mode before I attempt anything too spendy in the near future though.
Fatal tactical error ... you need to strike while they are off balance. Once wives regain their footing, they are a lot harder to move!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:35 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A pro shop should be able to pull it off. I have a restoration / rod shop and I did mine over two years ago- and still no problems. It's a matter of using the right metod and urethane bumper filler material.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:53 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kkim
Fatal tactical error ... you need to strike while they are off balance. Once wives regain their footing, they are a lot harder to move!
Hey Kelly...

Mine got onto solid footing damn fast after the $9k+ check I wrote a month ago... even an idiot like me can see the light after that one.

Hey, the family and I will be on your island for 10 days in April... maybe I can look you up and catch a ride to one of the finer golf establishments one day (hopefully not too close by!).

See ya.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:28 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,

Would be a pleasure to meet you, trojanwoman and trojankids.

Check your PM
Old 08-11-2005, 05:30 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trojanman
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've spoken with Deshler's and they're just not comfortable with patching that large of a gap and have said they've never done it themselves on any other 993. I guess for now I'll just live with the bumperettes and maybe get the cut clear corners at some point...
though i too have to disagree w/ your shop...
fwiw: the bumperettes are imho most tolerable on blk cars... in fact i prefer w/ the u.s. clear lenses. imo there's less white light to look @, which i like. clear lenses can be had @: perfomance products (no aff'l etc).

Quick Reply: 993 NB bumper conversion