Tips on buying out of state and driving home

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 11:25 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Tips on buying out of state and driving home

As I continue my search for the ideal 993, I'm finding more and more examples that are far away, specifically California. What do people do in order to legally drive a newly-purchased car home from out of state? Seems like the old trick of 'borrowing' one of your other plates just doesn't make sense anymore.

I ask because not everyone has their new purchase shipped home via car transporter. Are there temporary solutions that I have no idea about?

Andreas
Old 08-02-2005, 11:47 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Make sure the DMV/BMV will be open on the day you take possession. Call or search ahead to find out what paperwork they require to give out temporary plates. Go wait in line, fill out your forms, pay the fee, attach paper fake plates, drive home.

If you buy through a dealership they probably can have them made up. If you buy from anyone else it is the temporary plate.

They are usually good for 30 days. Think the one I purchased in Ohio three years ago was US$7. Ohio required the title, bill of sale and previous emissions test receipt to issue one.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:53 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

In California, the plates go with the car, and are honored in most other states for a few weeks/months. Waldo will be driven from California to Washington State, and when the new owner registers the car in Washington, he promised to return my personalized plates to me. I could just keep them, I suppose, but he may get hassled by having no plates on the car.

When I got Rufus from Alabama (by truck), there were no plates. In Alabama, the plates stay (I was told). I've been driving Rufus with no plates for two weeks until I finally got him registered yesterday. No muss, no fuss... just $$$$.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Andreas,

When I bought my car in Oklahoma, the dealer issued temp tags. I'm sure there's a way to do this at each state's DMV. Don't sweat it.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:02 AM
kbonnel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"In California, the plates go with the car, and are honored in most other states for a few weeks/months. Waldo will be driven from California to Washington State, and when the new owner registers the car in Washington, he promised to return my personalized plates to me. I could just keep them, I suppose, but he may get hassled by having no plates on the car."

I am wondering though if it is legal for the new owner to drive around/home on plates registered to somebody else. (well I guess it would be legal if they borrowed the car, but upon sale of the vehicle is what I am thinking about) If Waldo got pulled over because he made the new owner drive too fast I wonder if a police officer would accept the bill of sale (and other paperwork). If they would, then that is great news, as I would not want to deal with any DMVs other than the one you plan on registering with. (I could see a potential nightmare of fees, taxes, and confusion)

I wonder if the DMV you plan on registering the vehicle with will provide temp plates so you can drive it home to get inspected and smog checked. (and of course pay fees/taxes/etc) That is the way I am looking to do it.

Kimo
Old 08-03-2005, 02:10 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Eric's (my other half) 993 is from Marina Del Ray.. the plates came with the car.. so driving it across country wasn't an issue since it had valid plates.... in our case, it was 2200 miles home in 3 days to chicago... bought sight unseen off ebay for $30k.... from a dealer who had ONLY positive feedback so that helped us feel better about the purchase... turned out to be great! the car is now tracked and no issues whatsoever.. now over 100K miles on it too!!
Old 08-03-2005, 02:18 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purchasing a preowned car from California and driving it back to your state (Maryland I assume) is not a problem. It's the other way around that one should pay more attention to as there are 49-State Emission vehicles and 50 State/CA certified emission vehicles. If you purchase from a private seller then the "plates go with the car" as Steve said and all you basically need to do when you get to your state is that you show them a proof of ownership, a bill of sale, get the inspection done, pay the excise tax...and you are done. If you purchase from a dealership in California, they will issue a temporary window sticker for you to drive/ship it back home and the rest is the same. I would check with your state DMV for the exact procedure. I hope it helps.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:21 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought that all 993s are 50-state legal.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:26 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Originally Posted by ca993twin
I thought that all 993s are 50-state legal.
Steve, maybe they are. I'm not 100% sure. I was just referring to the registration requirements from the CA DMV website.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm
Old 08-03-2005, 02:45 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

In my experience most police want license,registration and sometimes proof of insurance.If the car hasn't been reported stolen then why would they be concerned if the car was registered to someone else. Besides you're going to have a title, registration,bill of sale etc to reinforce your right to possess it, correct? You would be surprised how many cars in southern California have no plates at all - just the paper one from the dealer that was slapped on at purchase.Enjoy your new car.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:29 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ca993twin
In California, the plates go with the car....he promised to return my personalized plates to me. I could just keep them, I suppose, but he may get hassled by having no plates on the car....
My understanding s that is true for regular plates, but vanity plates stay with the seller.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:55 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Andreas,

When I bought my car in Oklahoma, the dealer issued temp tags. I'm sure there's a way to do this at each state's DMV. Don't sweat it.
same here... from missouri to socal. i did wait twenty-some days to reg. in socal & was almost penalized. found out that once i brought the car into the state there was a (can't remember, 5?) certain # of days grace period allowed before reg. if exceeded they mentioned they could have charged me $15 per day for everyday "over" i was. lucked out... the temp plates are good but just remember to reg. soon after entering your state. just my $00.02 bol w/ the search.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:42 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Thank you for all of the replies - very helpful. Helped to ease the nerves...

The finger is not yet hovering over the trigger, yet I have found a very appealing GR with tan interior '97. My first choice has always been PS with black interior, but there is something about a Guards Red 911

Andreas
Old 08-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Go for it, Andreas! You can always surflex the interior black; hell, I'll bet money you gut the interior and turn it into a GTC2 car.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:33 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Easy there, Mark. If you don't watch it, I'll launch your car in 3rd again....

Andreas

Quick Reply: Tips on buying out of state and driving home