1st Race Report

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st Race Report

It's a bit of a long story, but I think it's best told this way ...

I participated in my first race this weekend, and what a weekend it was. It was a bit different from the start as it was planned as a Friday/Saturday DE weekend at Thunderhill and turned into something else entirely.

Friday morning started as always but got a little sidetracked right away as a Corvette blew it's engine after 1.5 laps (yes, that pun was intended). Red flag to get the fire crew out, and then black flag to end the session. In the second session another GM car died and oiled the track after 3 laps, so another black flag and early termination. This was starting to get frustrating!

Since the red/open passing group was getting deprived of track time, we were then allowed to run down with the point-by group. This was fine by me as there was a guy with an M3 roadster that was running in that group and he and I usually have fun going out together. Well, we did have fun and John Hua (Mooty) also joined us in his M3, so we had a grand session of catch-me-if-you-can. The roadster dropped out after this session (because he was working the event) but the open group's session was immediately after, so Mooty and I pulled right back into the hot pit and went out again. We had another great session (even though I couldn't pass the bum - he couldn't leave me, but I couldn't catch him either). And, while Arnaud (AW) passed me in his cup car, he didn't lap me. I was happy.

After having that much fun in the prior double session, John and I went out to do it again at the next opportunity. This session went well until I was just about to enter the braking zone on the back straight. While having just passed 100 mph, I heard a sharp pop (like a pistol shot) and knew that one of my tires had blown. I managed to brake in a straight line and went straight off before turn 14 (onto the connector road). I was surprised how smoothly I could get off with a dead tire.

Thinking that this incident would be my main problem for the weekend, I proceeded to swap the MPSCs for the RA-1s on the extra set of wheels. Unfortunately, in the heat (about 105) and the haste to get the swap done quickly, I managed to damage the threads on one of my rear wheel studs. Fortunately, the studs are extra long and I could use that prime Porsche fix-it tool (a hack saw) to remove the two damaged turns and have a functional stud. The track was closing just as I was sawing so I departed for the day reasonably confident that "tomorrow would go better."

So tomorrow came. I got to the track a bit early to finish the tire change and was very pleased that it was a non-event - the lug nut went on smoothly and I was ready to go. The first session went well and just after it I was assigned a student at the last minute as an instructor didn't show. The day started to get pretty hectic. Go out with the student (his 2nd time at a track), then take him out in my session to show him the line and what I was talking about in some of the corners he was having trouble with, then go back out with the student for his second session (while thinking, "Hey, this instructing stuff really cuts down on the time for socializing and car prep").

After the second run instructing, the role was reversed to an extent. I had requested a check-out to be allowed to race with ARC (a laid back Nor Cal group that I though would be a great way to start racing). Well, I did my check-out run and the chief instructor said I would be allowed to race - and by the way, they were doing an exhibition race after lunch, did I want to join? Well, I thought why not? My wife wasn't with me this weekend to worry about it, there were only 17 others participating, I'd be the designated HWFM Racing back-marker gridding at #18. So I agreed.

My first Race! In the end (or should I say, at the start), I had one guy gridded behind me. He was driving a prepared 993, but I had been able to pass him pretty easily over the last 1.5 days, so I wasn't too worried. My goals in the race were to not do anything stupid, have fun and pass at least one person. I thought this was a reasonable goal as at least two of the cars gridded in front of me were people I had been able to pass the previous day. I was a bit concerned as earlier I was trounced by the guy in the M3 roadster. I just couldn't keep up to him and wondered if the tires were making that big a difference.

All other thoughts evaporated into the 105 degree heat as the race got started. We got through turn 1 without incident and were pretty sorted out by turn 2. By lap 3 we had our own little race going in the back. Me chasing but frustrated by not being able to catch a silver M3 that I had handled easily the previous day and defending the 993 who was able to stay with me today. On lap 5 (of a 10 lap race) I was still defending my position and trying in vain to get past the M3 as we entered the esses. I exited cleanly having just shifted up to 3rd normally and was starting down the back straight when disaster struck. With a load ka-boom, my engine said good bye. I immediately turned off the ignition, got over to the off-line side of the track and looked for a stopping point. I considered the grass, but decided against it as hot, dry grass and hot oil were likely to result in a fire. About half-way down the straight was an emergency entrance and I pulled off there.

Once stopped and off the track I, uncoupled my hoses for the cool suit, checked that my fire suppression system was activated (it was), and unbuckled in case I needed a quick exit (the rear was smoking). I cracked the door and looked back down the track to see an impenetrable monster oil cloud. I then heard the squeal of tires as one of the leaders discovered the oil on the track and spun. One car did come through before the cloud started to dissipate to reveal the fastest Porsche sideways at the start of the straight. He quickly got it together and was off without further incident. The race was quickly black flagged.

When the course was cleared the tow truck came out to examine me and the track. The best was off without adding more oil to the track was to back down the entrance ramp. As I was backing down the clean-up crew was bemoaning all the oil and asked "it's not synthetic is it?" I had to give them the bad news it was (it's harder to clean it up).

Packing up, finding a substitute instructor for my student (my head was no longer in the right place), and loading the car were a bit of a drag, but "stuff" happens. I did have a pretty good weekend (with the exception of a pretty dramatic and disappointing end). Now I get to decide how to spend yet more money on getting my turtle back into operation.

I hope your events go better than this one, but hope you found my story mildly entertaining...
Old 07-31-2005, 02:52 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Tom,

So sorry to hear about the di$a$ter with the turtle. I hope it can be fixed without too much expense... or at least can be "upgraded" in the process. A great report, none-the-less. Best of luck, and keep up your good outlook.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:57 PM
Dan V
Race Car

That's pretty intense. Thanks for the write up.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:03 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Tom,

Sorry to hear about your unplanned exit. Just wondering. Do you have a trailer? As you were able to carry spare tires and other stuff with you. How did you get the Turtle back from TH?

Good luck with your repairs. I'm sure VB is well rested and ready to assist. BTW, while you have your engine apart, you might consult Glen, Fill, Kim, and others here about a few 'cheap' upgrades, like a 0.2l increase. etc.

CP
Old 07-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pong: I've been thankful for the trailer way too many times. It has a tire rack buil on, so I get to carry lots of stuff in the vain attempt to keep it running. I plan to avoid any "upgrades" when the Turtle is repaired as I've spent way too much already and I want to stay in a "cheap" race class (ha!).
Old 07-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking Ger R Done...

Tom,

Sorry to hear about the engine going...get DEVEK to fix you up. Viper Bob et al to the rescue.

I hope you get it fixed in time for POC Laguna Seca! I was wanting to take some lessons from you oh speedy one!
Old 07-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know why the engine failed? You just don't see 911s blow up that often.

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Old 07-31-2005, 04:47 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

With the amount of oil, did you vent your case with a rod?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:18 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris: not yet. I can say it was one hell of a ka-boom and I knew immediately what it had to be. Friends watching said there was a huge puff of oil smoke and fire ball. Luckily, the engine did not actually catch fire. In hindsight, I should have been suspicious because on Saturday the car didn't have it's normal power (I couldn't keep up to the guys I normally would pull away from) and it seemed a little rough above 5k rpm - nothing really bad, just a touch "off". I had attributed the ability to keep up to the tire change, but had I thought about it, I would have realized power was off - it was just a busy morning and I didn't have much time to think about what the car was telling me (other than my tire pressures were off and it was understeering more than normal).

Oil temps and pressure were normal and the oil level was fine. We knew my valve guides were going as I would get some smoke on start-up after it sat for a while and I'd burn about a quart every 100 track miles. The engine did not leak any oil (I had it dropped at the start of the year to fix all leaks and install a LWF), had plugs, wires and distributors replaced at the start of the year, and was putting out 240 hp at the wheels (and running pretty damn good against 993s).

Kevin: At first it was just too damn hot to look at 105 in the sun the metal was way to hot to touch and the pavement was too hot to let skin touch. i also knew there was nothing I could do ablout it and all would be clear once we looked in detail. A friend looked once the car was on the trailer and said he could see a hole in the case. I took a quick look and didn't see one. I'll look in detail for what I can see today.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Good luck
Old 07-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well I just looked at as much as I can see with the car on the trailer. I can't see any holes. The top of the engine is clean. The bottom right is were most of the oil is. The left heat exchanger has almost no oil on it but the right is dripping. I can't get very far under to see the front of the engine but the back looks ok. No obvious problems near the plugs (or anywhere else).
Old 07-31-2005, 08:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,731 Likes on 2,346 Posts

Do you know why the engine failed? You just don't see 911s blow up that often

where is your shop?
and when should i rebuild a 996GT3 motor that sees 5000 track miles a year (fast/instructor grouop , DE only, no racing)

TIA
Old 07-31-2005, 08:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,731 Likes on 2,346 Posts

tom,

i didn't see or hear the diasaster, but when i saw the amount of oil that came out i was hoping that you just blew an oil line for something. that's too bad. we had a great time playing out there over the last two days. i hope turtle gets fixed asap so we can play some more.

jh
Old 07-31-2005, 08:35 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Tom, really sad to hear of this failure. Sure hope you can locate another engine for replacement. Try LAPorsche dismantler. Not sure at what cost makes sense to rebuild your engine. Keep us updated.

From rides in your car, I always thought your 964 pulled really hard, much more than other 964's I have driven. Sad to hear, but glad you didnt get hit!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Dennis K
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Tom, I feel for you. You deserve a lifetime of trouble-free tracking after the year you've been through. I hope the turtle's recovery is quick and relatively painless ($).

Quick Reply: 1st Race Report