Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

So. Cal HID Group Install August 13th - sign up and join!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 11:21 PM
AM C2S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know if you guys are in need of any misc. goods (velcro, etc.). I'll be the gopher, as I do not have any tools to bring or share.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Reynard38
Pro

A 1" hole saw works much better than that wood bit somebody used. Makes a much cleaner hole.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:09 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Does anyone have a whole saw??
Old 08-14-2005, 05:03 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Well, yesterday was a blast. We were like little kids sitting cross legged on the ground playing with tools and things, what a sight. Reminded me of the time we would sit around our bikes trading baseball cards then attaching them to the spokes. ( That was Chuck's personal impression and It was the perfect analogy).

Thanks Chuck for hosting the DIY HID CONV. Loved the place with the horses, chickens, roosters, pig (with tusk) and assorted other creatures of the country. I felt like I was WAY in the country, it was great.

Man you ought to see his garage, Three car that could literally fit 5. If anyone needs any Propel, the drink, I think Chuck has the worlds supply in his garage... hoarder! He also has a gazillion quarts of Mobil one. I guess when you find the right price, as Lee Iaccoca would say, "buy it". :lol:

All kidding aside, the guys were great, everyone helped each other and it was just a load of fun. We found it hard to leave after threating to do so, what a hundred times or so. Finally bailed at around 5.

Got some pics of the install that are on Clive's disk so he will post em up for you to see how darn easy it is.

I will leave you with a group shot, the guys workin, and an art shot (not sure why) but nonetheless here you go. My other images can be seen, well fellas you know where.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:29 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job, guys. Nice pics, too.

I received my HIDs and won't be able to do the install until later this week or coming weekend, so I look forward to any install tricks that we used or discovered.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:00 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Jeff it's really a snap. I took some install pics but had to put them on Clive's disk. He will process them and show them here. Clive is our resident mechanical genius, engineer.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

One of my bulbs burned out finally. Does anyone know if I need to buy a specific bulb to match the set we used here or will any 4300k H1 bulb work?

TIA
Old 01-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Father of 3
One of my bulbs burned out finally. Does anyone know if I need to buy a specific bulb to match the set we used here or will any 4300k H1 bulb work?

TIA
Bobby.... Try emailing the vendor we used on the group buy;

thelegend321@aol.com

And, here are his current eBay auctions for 4300K H1 bulbs; Let us know,

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/stille...kw=&_osacat=0;

good luck. That as a good day.....

Last edited by Chuck W.; 01-19-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:00 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've bought bulbs from four different vendors now and they all come with the same plugs - so I am pretty sure you can buy from any outlet and they will work. They come in pairs, which is good because what you can't guarantee is that the color temp will be the same. I have two sets of 5000K bulbs and the color is slightly different.

Out of due diligence, did you check to make sure it's the bulb, and not a ballast or a fuse? HIDs use less power in run mode but draw a lot of current in start-up mode for several seconds (I think could be as much as 10), which can tax old fuses.

dave
Old 01-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is there an in line fuse? It is only one side that is out.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:33 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The single HID kits don't typically come with in-line fuses. However, your headlights are fused independently of each other. Also note that if a fuse blows, there is no other indicator that it's out other than checking each fuse (since there is nothing else on either of those circuits).

They're clearly labeled in your fusebox in your front trunk. Pulling them can be a pain; a pair of needle nose will do the trick. I bought a little fuse tester at the Auto Parts place with two probes, you just touch it to the back of the fuse with it in place and the power off and it will light up if the fuse is still good.

dave
Old 01-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Father of 3

TIA
Well....... ? Update

Quick Reply: So. Cal HID Group Install August 13th - sign up and join!