Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 01:54 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbone
I'm going to ultimately install a roll bar,
Roll bars and kids in the back seat are a bad mix. If you mean that you will drive your daughter in the front seat with a roll bar, then a-ok. I have a cab and drive my three kids at times and two frequently. My wife would prefer the kids to be in a bigger car but does not stress out about it either. That kind of talk will have you out of the 911 in no time.

Good luck.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:57 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Are any of you guys married? How are you gonna use rational logic with a woman to win any argument? Great arguments, btw. Just not gonna get you bupkis!
Old 07-28-2005, 02:02 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Are any of you guys married? How are you gonna use rational logic with a woman to win any argument? Great arguments, btw. Just not gonna get you bupkis!
rational logic, and you do not go together...YOU have TWO 993 TT's!!..........both in the same color!!...
Old 07-28-2005, 02:07 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Phil,

Guilty and irrational, as charged. Waldo is 99.9% sold.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:23 AM
jimbone
Advanced

These posts are great and very entertaining. Ked, you got a little hot and bothered with the physics there, I love it! (Let me guess, engineer?) The wife is far from ditzy (truth be told she's much smarter than me!), she just suffers from first time mom syndrome (FTMS in the unofficial literature). Overprotective and abides by the bigger is better approach if an SUV or truck (of which their are approximately 10 billion in texas) were to hit me full speed, worst case scenario situation, etc. It's not that she thinks my car is necessarily unsafe, but less safe. In fact, as a neonate we had an X5 (a serious symptom of FTMS), but my wife couldn't stand the top-heaviness and truckish feel (me neither). Not completely rational, but I'm sure most married men with kids can relate and frankly I'd be a little worried if she were careless and flippant about it, but she'll come around. CA993 twin's quote kills me --- "Are any of you guys married? How are you gonna use rational logic with a woman to win any argument?" What a great place, I think I owe you all a psychotherapy bill!
Old 07-28-2005, 02:25 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife got stuck in a heavy squall on the 10 freeway outside of Palm Springs California this winter and she unfortunately spun and rolled in a 996 cab. She walked away with a bump on the head and a black eye. In my opinion there is nothing safer than a P-Car. The CHP officer who showed up shortly after said he was surprised that a car that was rolled produced such minor injuries. The Emergency room MD said that she was in great shape. No Rollbar. I think that going through a DE and a Britax kid seat will make the 993 as safe as any other car. She is convinced that if she had rolled in another type of car she would have been hurt.

The wife sold an X5 for the 993 and our almost 9 year old daughter LOVES Porsches.

As for the Psychoanalysis...Just become a Rennlist member. and enjoy the wisdom.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:34 AM
jimbone
Advanced

FGL28,
That's a great story and I'm glad you're wife was fine. BTW, I am a Rennlist member!
Old 07-28-2005, 02:51 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not an engineer - learned years ago that I needed only to be smart enough to determine who's smartest on a particular technical matter - I embrace being the "dumbest guy in the room". wrote my dissertation on Federal Automobile Safety Regulation in the mid 70's. sold BMWs & Volvos for a coupla years in the mid '80s. recall a 7-car owner's wife insisting that they trade their single airbag example for a dual airbag model "for the children's sake". she was completely flumuxed when NHTSA raised the "turn off the front pass. airbag" issue right after they took a $15K hit (against my advice, but to my treasure). I've put my 3 kids in various sports cars for 16 yrs - open Alfas & Porsches (356s, too - no doubt soon to be a criminal offense). Their mom prays regularly - it works (evidently).

anyway, perhaps having more kids asap is a winning strategy.
on psychotherapy, you are on the right track - cut out the middleman, do what they do w/ your $ - buy a Porsche. cheers!
Old 07-28-2005, 03:00 AM
jimbone
Advanced

Originally Posted by ked
not an engineer - learned years ago that I needed only to be smart enough to determine who's smartest on a particular technical matter - I embrace being the "dumbest guy in the room". wrote my dissertation on Federal Automobile Safety Regulation in the mid 70's. sold BMWs & Volvos for a coupla years in the mid '80s. recall a 7-car owner's wife insisting that they trade their single airbag example for a dual airbag model "for the children's sake". she was completely flumuxed when NHTSA raised the "turn off the front pass. airbag" issue right after they took a $15K hit (against my advice, but to my treasure). I've put my 3 kids in various sports cars for 16 yrs - open Alfas & Porsches (356s, too - no doubt soon to be a criminal offense). Their mom prays regularly - it works (evidently).

anyway, perhaps having more kids asap is a winning strategy.
on psychotherapy, you are on the right track - cut out the middleman, do what they do w/ your $ - buy a Porsche. cheers!
Very interesting and perhaps the wisest advice yet!
Old 07-28-2005, 04:35 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Having crash tested my old 911 into a barrier at about 85mph I can personally attest to their strength! My fifteen month baby happily travels with me in the back of my car. I have the Porsche Prince seat which, though unusual, does have a chest pad and side pads (though I prefer our dual anchored, 5pt seat in the wife's BM. If you look at where they are they are in a strong two door shell sittling low and near the middle of the car ahead of the rear axle so they are in a pretty good place. Maybe she has a problem with your driving rather than the car?! ;-)

Cheers,

David
Old 07-28-2005, 05:37 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Practically speaking, the 993 is based on a 60's designed chassis in which safety was a totally alien concept compared to what's available today.
Practically speaking, I was in a major accident at my last club race and I'm still here to talk about it...
Old 07-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 605 Posts

Sounds like your last step is what is left.

Other than that, you can speak to the risk factors and probabilities. Where, when, and how you drive are factors. If all you want is here to have the experience of the drive, then plan an outing at a time-place that has the lowest risk factors.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Practically speaking, the 993 is based on a 60's designed chassis in which safety was a totally alien concept compared to what's available today.
That isn't quite true. The 993 is no closer to the '65 911 than today's Corvette is to it's roots.

Just because things look similar does not mean they are the same.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:20 AM
mborkow
Drifting

"Practically speaking, the 993 is based on a 60's designed chassis in which safety was a totally alien concept compared to what's available today."

i am not too sure about the above statement. lots of changes happened to the 911 over the years. what is the difference in curb weight between the first 911 and the 993?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:41 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

A couple of random thoughts that might help-

German automobile manufacturers were the first to crash test cars. One of the Rennlist members (I think he uses the 944 forums) has a picture in his avatar of an old Porsche, a 356, I think, being hoisted up on a crane so it could be dropped front first in the ground to simulate an accident in the 1950s. Safety is a priority to Porsche. They make their cars to protect people like they were kings.

Also, I saw a statistic posted by another Rennlist member that only ten people died in 911s in the last five years.

Maybe that'll help. You can never have too much ammunition when dealing with a woman, I guess. lol

Quick Reply: 993 Safety-Convince my Wife!