993 Forum 1995-1998

How much Ice Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 05:08 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How much Ice Wax?

I have used almost a whole bottle of liquid Ice Wax to try to stop noises from top of Windshield. It has had no effect.

To verify: I am lifting the trip piece with a plastic spatula, and dribbleing the Ice Wax into the deep groove that is closest to the body. Am I doing it right? On the pics that are posted here are tough to see exactly where the stuff needs to go.

Do I need to wait a few days for it to work in? Or does it take more Ice Wax?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 05:14 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using the aerosol can? If not, it would be much easier to apply. Also, are you going around the entire windshield, top and bottom?

Yes, you are correct... apply to the rubber gasket side nearest the body.

edit-results should be immediate.

Last edited by kkim; 07-25-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Note - any good chain lube will work as long as it is the type which goes on wet and dries to a waxy substance. I used Maxima Chain Wax with success. You need to do the entire seal, top bottom and sides. Using the spray nozzle makes it simple. You can also apply silicone grease instead although it is not as convenient to apply as the chain wax.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:52 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Silicone spray (lube) actually does a good job, and it comes with that tiny straw (like WD40) so it's easy to get it into the gap.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Troy

I agree that silicone lube works but the chain wax lasts much longer and also comes with a small tube like WD-40 so that's why it is preferred. Chaini lube goes from a liquid which penetrates well (think about the clearances in a motorcycle chain) to a waxy substance which does not collect dirt like a grease would. Silicone lube washes away to easily based on my experiences. One I discovered chaiin wax I'd respray the seal every 3 months or so. Took all of five minutes using a plastic paint scraper and my Maxima Chain lube.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 380 Posts

I did one good once around. Not only did the noise disappear, but ever hard turns yielded a major splatter of ice wax all over the side of the car.... this nice side affect lasted for over two months. But the squeak disappeared.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Pegasis - you've now defined how much is too much
Old 07-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Talking

I get a bottle of White Lightening bicycle chain lube, a 5cc syringe and tubing to fit the end of the syringe...I attach the tubing, and place the tubing into the plastic White Lightening bottle. Pull back the syringe handle and suck up the fluid...next, just go all around the windshields and inject the White Lightening…as Troy says, the results are nearly instantaneous. The tubing eliminates the need for a spatula.

Quick Reply: How much Ice Wax?