Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New front track tires only?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005 | 07:33 PM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

Default New front track tires only?

I always wear my front track tires faster than the rears. I have always replaced all four tires when the fronts are worn. Has anyone replaced front track tires and continued with half used rears?

Thanks.

SF
Old 07-19-2005 | 07:39 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I did that once.. and it wasn't pretty... grip didn't match up very well and it made from some scary moments..
Old 07-19-2005 | 07:41 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Need more info, what kind of tires are you using? I have used new Hoosier on one end (front) with a pair of 5 heat cycled Hoosiers on the rear (944 S2 race car). I takes a little finess until you get used to it. MPSC might be a little more forgiving as the stick is not as great. Depending on your level of skill and the type of tire it certainly can be done but I would be careful because it will feel different for a few sessions.
Old 07-19-2005 | 07:57 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

you and I need to get together. I always wear out the rears and the fronts still look great. To answer your question, I think as long as you stay with the same tire you should be ok. I buy new rears twice as often as fronts, and have not had any problems, except once when I mixed types.
Old 07-19-2005 | 11:03 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Track naive question... is it typical for the fronts to wear out before the rears? If so, why???

Could it be the fronts are wearing out due to understeer or is it because the fronts are actually doing some work when the car is pushed on the track?

On the street, I go through sets of rear tires before the fronts wear out.

Any of you track junkies care to explain?
Old 07-19-2005 | 11:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

WRT to the street, the rears will usually burn out long before the fronts.

On the track, assuming the alignment is correct, wear differences between fronts and rears could be the result of under or overinflated tires, track surface, driving style or sway bar/shock set up. I tried playing around with a very "tight" set up where there was a decent amount of understeer and found that I wore my fronts much more quickly than the rears. When I made the handling more neutral, at least with my MPSC's, my wear is incredibly even from front to back as long as I swap tires left to right. I'll run out of heat cycles at about the same time that I cord the tires.
Old 07-20-2005 | 12:56 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Mark.... appreciate the info.

Sounds like you have your car well sorted.
Old 07-20-2005 | 01:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kkim
Thanks, Mark.... appreciate the info.

Sounds like you have your car well sorted.

I'm chasing an oversteer issue with the car right now, and, with the Motons, I have a feeling it may be a bit before it's fully sorted.

Happy to help.
Old 07-20-2005 | 09:52 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Hey Mark, I'll trade you my understeer for your oversteer
Old 07-20-2005 | 11:19 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alon
Hey Mark, I'll trade you my understeer for your oversteer
LOL. If you have a rear RS adjustable sway bar, I'll trade you that for my 22mm TRG adjustable sway. I'm being serious; I can't make the bar any softer in the rear and need to go to a smaller bar.
Old 07-20-2005 | 11:23 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

I'm waiting for my H&R adjustable sway bars to arrive. They should be exact replicas of the RS bars. SO there's no adjustment left in your bar to soften it a bit? Stiffen the front up a bit then.
Old 07-20-2005 | 11:31 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alon
SO there's no adjustment left in your bar to soften it a bit? Stiffen the front up a bit then.
I'm looking for better bite in the rear and need to soften the rear to do so. Stiffening the fronts would reduce the oversteer but at the expense of overall grip.
Old 07-20-2005 | 11:42 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

You're right, it will sacrifice overall grip. Can you post a picture of what the TRG sway bar and links look like? I wonder if it can be modded to soften things up a bit.
Old 07-20-2005 | 12:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I doubt it can be easily modified, Alon. The bar either needs to be smaller in diameter or the connection point on the bar needs to be lengthened so that there is more "give" on the bar and less stiffness. I guess this means machining down the bar or welding length to the bar (very bad idea). Probably easier for me to simply find the right sway bar size rather than re-invent the wheel/bar.
Old 07-20-2005 | 12:54 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Yes, finding a deal on an RS bar is probably the easiest route although you may want to consider the H&R version (it is adjustable). Check out www.hrsprings.com

Quick Reply: New front track tires only?