993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 5 HP Gadget

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005 | 05:37 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

"Gary and cabrio993, here's a tip. On the very first post of this thread, left-click on Robert Linton's name on the upper-left side of the post. A menu should appear, then click on "Find More Posts by Robert Linton". From what I recall, RL has never tried to sell his pieces to anyone on this forum (even at the request of MANY)."

HUH? Where did that came from? I was just inquiring about what the part was, what it did, and how much it was, and that's all. Geez

What is it that I need to get? Do I now have to do a search to see who am I talking to before I post? Pleeeease...

Last edited by cabrio993; 07-13-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2005 | 06:09 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Surely it is not too much to ask that an explanation of how a crankcase ventilation modification can give +5bhp?The prettiness of the part I find irrelevant , it is the know how that counts.
Geoff
Old 07-13-2005 | 08:18 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

What will perhaps happen is that this piece will be incorporated on engines being built in the future, giving us 5hp more than we'd have without it. Isn't that a good thing? (Cobalt, if you make them I can guarantee you a big order for 968's-we'll feel 5hp!).
Old 07-13-2005 | 08:33 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

First, Cartridge is not in the business of selling retail parts to anyone – nor does it ever intend to. Cartridge has the pleasure and privilege to sell parts to manufacturers of high performance vehicles such as Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG and to professional race teams in a variety of series including ALMS, F1 and NASCAR.

Second, for three years I have had the pleasure of speaking with and meeting Rennlist Members and have an unblemished record not only of talking them out of even trying to buy anything that Cartridge makes but also out of a variety of other items that I have thought either useless or potentially dangerous or both or just plain silly.

Third, I post things that I think might be of interest, am willing to help any Rennlist Member in any way that I can (usually in persuading them not to spend money) but, again, Cartridge does not sell parts to retail customers.

Fourth, this part was a derivative result of a development effort on other vehicles including the GT3 RSR and the GT3 Cup Car.

Fifth, with a dry sump boxer type engine in particular, a one-way check valve with certain resistance characteristics prohibits air from flowing from the oil tank into the crankcase thereby creating a vacuum in the crankcase which, in turn, permits the pistons to move more freely as air resistance is dissipated thereby producing additional horsepower. Depending upon which oil pump is used (as increased oil pump suction capacity increases vacuum), this might be in the range of 7 HP to 10 HP in race cars. As to street cars, after considerable dyno testing, it was determined to be appropriately 5 horsepower.

Sixth, the principal negative aspect of the part is that the additional pressure created can result in oil weep from parts of the case. To prevent this, several measures are required which, in turn, requires removal of the engine.

Seventh, the limited number of parts that have been made for friends, ten, are machined not cast.
Old 07-13-2005 | 09:01 PM
99D3C2
Instructor

Robert you can be my friend any day then if you know what I mean. In all seriousness, most of the stuff you make we couldn't afford anyway but it is the fact that you say you won't even sell it that makes us want it more. I know you know that. With all that being said, please keep it coming. I think I speak for a large majority when I say I love it.
Old 07-13-2005 | 09:25 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

No justification needed. I do not pretend to understand the engineering principals behind each piece no more than I fully understand each of Princeton's endeavors. I enjoy your posts purely for the aesthetics. I enjoy the production of each piece presented. Again, thank you for sharing.
Old 07-13-2005 | 11:35 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Robert ,
Where is Cartridge ? based - country will do .
Geoff
Old 07-14-2005 | 01:37 AM
Labatt
Instructor

All I can say is that on top of the parts appearing to be functional and performance driven, they're pieces of art - just like the 993.
Old 07-14-2005 | 01:45 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

How do I get on this group buy? ....just kidding, I couldn't help.
Old 07-14-2005 | 01:46 AM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

From: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

Robert:

I enjoy your posts as many do, I'm sure, so keep pushing the envelop and displaying them on Rennlist. 'Must be great to combine work and pleasure.
Old 07-14-2005 | 01:53 AM
Benton
Drifting

Man, you guys that are whining are a bunch of goobers. He posted up a cool part, and he sure knows what he is doing.

Gary, your posts annoy me--you don't know everything. BTW, I'm not starting a flame war and I'm not going to respond if you say anything back trying to instigate something.

Robert,
I would feel very privileged to meet you some day and discuss cars and engineering. Will you be at the Petit Le Mans? I might be able to make it there. If so, I'd love to meet up.

Sincerely,
Old 07-14-2005 | 03:44 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Default chill y'all

(goobers are cool.. dun diss em)

RL is a cool guy
keep the posts coming

goo·ber P Pronunciation Key (gbr): Most Southerners recognize the terms goober and goober pea as other names for the peanut. Goober is related to Kongo or Kimbundu n-guba, “peanut.”
Old 07-14-2005 | 05:33 AM
nman413
Drifting

Jean, thanks.

Bob Linton, nice part
Old 07-14-2005 | 05:52 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Robert,

Thanks for the explanation - I would never have guessed that a seemingly insignificant part could make that much difference. I appreciate it.

Regards,

David
Old 07-14-2005 | 06:07 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Robert, a person that is pushing the envelope and coming up with new solutions is always welcome in my world. You have my full support, and I'm very glad that you post your research here. I hope will continue doing so.

Take Care

Quick Reply: The 5 HP Gadget