Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS Light Weight.......to go or no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Big Ger
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RS Light Weight.......to go or no?

I'm due for a clutch replacement on my '97 993 and have been reading a great deal about the pros and cons of switching over to an RS light-weight together with LWF on both the Rennlist site and PCA.

While my driving is 95% street use, I had sort of made up my mind to go the LW route but when I called up Otto's in Venice, CA, they quite actively tried to convince me to go standard OEM replacement suggesting that the LW unit will have my PCar sounding like an old truck diesel at lower RPM.. In fact they indicated that they had a LW setup put on a client's car very recently and he came back the very next day to have it removed. Obviously there are a whole series of unknowns in this scenario, not the least, the person who allegedly had this done and whether this is one of the Carrenewal units or some aftermarket unit. Clearly this is not an attractive picture however.

There have been numerous exchanges on the issue and unless I missed something, I have not seen anybody reporting that it was a major mistake. Is it as bad as Otto's is suggesting? and is this the only downside? One other question I have is whether or not the LW system has a stronger spring rate for the pedal than the oem. My wife already complains about the current setup.

I would very much appreciate your opinions.

Many thanks in advance
Old 07-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Otto's in Venice, CA, they quite actively tried to convince me to go standard OEM replacement suggesting that the LW unit will have my PCar sounding like an old truck diesel at lower RPM.."

Thats a bit harsh! You will have some "new sounds"....but DIESEL TRUCK LOUD? give me a break!
I have the same set up, and I would do it again. Maybe someone with the LWF in your area can give you a demo drive?......oh..and if ottos does not want your business....try another place!
Old 07-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The people you talked to don't know their a## from a hole in the ground.

They also make more money with the DMF etc.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:49 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Big Ger-

The responses you will get from Rennlist will be overwhelmingly in favor of the RS LWF... as you can see. I'm just waiting for my clutch to go so I can install this very upgrade. Lucky you.

I'd look for another place to get the work done and shop around for the parts as there can be significant savings if you find the right vendor(site sponsors) as opposed to a dealer.

Welcome to Rennlist.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:54 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are only benefits. The car revs much better. It will also accelerat better. This has been discussed. You hardly ever notice any additional noise. Only if you go very slowly at low revs, but when upshifting normally, hardly noticeable.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking Da LWF and Clutch......

Yes, the LWF/ckutch package makes a little more noise...but totally acceptable for the trade off. That is, the motor spins up faster with the lighter flywheel making heel and toe downshifts ever so much easier.

Also, I believe the LWF/Clutch assembly is less money than the standard dual mass...

I have had the LWF/Clutch assemply on my car for over four 1/2 years. No regrets...

If Otto doesn't want to do the work for you...there are lots of other shops that will. Check out the Porsche Owners Club web site www.porscheownersclub.org Look for the list of Technical Inspection Stations. There are nearly all shops...they will gladly do the work for you.

Otto's will do the job for you if you tell them you want it done.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:07 PM
dnaruse
Intermediate

I recently installed the LWF setup. There is more noise, but engine revs up much quicker. I let my dad drive it around the block, hard. He came back saying the something was wrong with my engine at high RPM, turns out he was hitting the rev limiter. His reaction was this thing revs really quick.

The low end gains are worth it. You will get some low RPM vibrations, that's a given. I haven't taken it to the track yet, but I expect my times to be quicker.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:26 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a third alternative... Andial sells a "mid-weight" flywheel that some have used and found gives most of the benefit of the lighter RS flywheel with none of the drawback. I have no personal experience... just reporting what I've heard.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:31 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Ger
There have been numerous exchanges on the issue and unless I missed something, I have not seen anybody reporting that it was a major mistake.
Unless I missed something, not a single person has reported the installation of a LWF on a 96+ 993 as any kind of mistake. If the numerous positive threads haven't satisfied your doubts, what's another one going to do? As I think you already know since it sounds like you've done most of your homework, the overwhelming RL consensus is the pros of the LWF dwarf any cons.

It shouldn't be too hard for you to find a LWF equipped car you can drive & listen to. A dozen more posts just won't get you any closer to understanding the increased sound & whether or not YOU can live w/it. It's your personal assessment that counts.

That said, I totally agree w/Monique.

Oh yes, I'd do the LWF/RS clutch again w/o any hesitation ( ).
Old 07-10-2005, 09:36 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I also looked into the Andial one at one point - but after talking to the Andial people they coninced me to go with the regular LWF. I think its best mod one can do one this car for the money. I would NEVER GO BACK to DMF!!!!!
Old 07-10-2005, 10:39 PM
pcar
Rennlist Member

Hello...If you would care to hear the "rattle" send me a PM .I also live in the Marina. I love the LWF and also a big fan of Otto's
Old 07-10-2005, 10:56 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Since going to the LWF upgrade and having checked out other 993s with the original DMF, too me the DMF feels like a clutch out of a 915 trans pretty heavy.

I would never go back to the DMF. LWF is like Butta....smoooth
Old 07-10-2005, 11:07 PM
mborkow
Drifting

i like the lwf's chatter. it makes the car sounds serious :-)
Old 07-10-2005, 11:49 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

LWF/RS clutch ? ? ? Just Do It -- and don't look back baby!

Scott
Old 07-11-2005, 12:36 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I have installed dozens and dozens of these in 993s and everyone has been VERY happy with the results. It is one of the few things with a 993 that can make you feel like you have added 40 HP.....

Quick Reply: RS Light Weight.......to go or no?