Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 03:06 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Question Questions for those who have had their Targa roof removed

Hello fellow-Targa owners :

I am hoping that I can get help here. Looks like I will have to take my roof off and redo the job the local Porsche dealer (MCL in Vancouver) did...the job they did is garbage and it leaks like a sieve. I cannot believe the hack job that I am seeing now that I have removed the outside gaskets etc. Its past the one year warranty period and they are not willing to do anything about it.

Its not the roof that has any problmes its the glue joint between the roof and the body...where it should not leak at all! Anyways I have been researching the procedure and have a few questions for those who have done it/or had it done:

1 - Did you use the approved two-part adhesive? MCL used a urethane instead of the one specified in the manual...likely because it was cheaper. I don't know if it works better since the joint leaks...

2 - If you did it yourself do you purchase any of the special tools required (ie. cuttof saw, adhesive dispenser)?

3 - Was the roof cut off with the approved tool as per the Targa manual? (I doubt if MCL did this either).

4 - Did you replace all the seals (side retainers, back retainer, back gasket, front gasket)?

5 - What shop did the work and do you have there location/number? (no one here in Vancouver has done it other than MCL Porsche and I will not take my car to that dealership again!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Questions for those who have had their Targa roof removed