Sponsored by:

Rennlist Email Server ?!!! Help Admin!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 11:42 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
One other thing I forgot to mention. When I try to access the mail and it is not connecting, I never get to the part where I enter the password, so that can't be it.
If you are using an e-mail program where you entered "set" your password as the POP3 password (like Outlook, Eudora, Thunderbird, etc.) - it is not only possible - it's the cause. You have set up your POP3 password incorrectly in your "Server Settings" in one of your MUA programs.... This is different then the web interface that some of the other users are trying to access their mail account from within their network... In other words - the POP3 errors I am looging for your account tells me your password is not being accepted, rather then your mail program not "reaching" the Rennlist Server......

Edward and Steve (and any others following along!)...

OK - tomorrow night, I'll take down that server and rip and replace some hardware - and see if that doesn't work? It's strange that the web interface, while "better" - isn't 100% for you yet??

If that doesn't work - I'll move that mail server to a different circuit. If I have to do that, it will be a few hours until it can be reached - as I'll have to change the DNS records to point to a different IP address. During that time, some mail will have to be queued, as the "Rennlist Host" won't be able to be reached until the new records propogate throughout the Internet. It's not a big deal - it just causes an avalance of e-mail to my ADMIN account

Anyway - if you are having a problem accessing the Rennlist e-mail server - can you folks tell me if you are using a web browser (http://mail.rennlist.net) or a mail program - and if so - which one???

THANKS!!!

John
Old 07-08-2005, 12:33 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=John D.]If you are using an e-mail program where you entered "set" your password as the POP3 password (like Outlook, Eudora, Thunderbird, etc.) - it is not only possible - it's the cause. You have set up your POP3 password incorrectly in your "Server Settings" in one of your MUA programs.... This is different then the web interface that some of the other users are trying to access their mail account from within their network... In other words - the POP3 errors I am looging for your account tells me your password is not being accepted, rather then your mail program not "reaching" the Rennlist Server......

Hi John,

I guess I am not being very clear about this, so I will start over. I am using Outlook as my mail program and I do NOT have the password automatically set since I am not the only user of this computer. Therefore, every time I access my Rennlist mail account through Outlook, it requires me to enter my password. However, the password entry menu does not appear until after Outlook has contacted the Rennlist mail server. The program hangs and never asks me for the password, and tells me it cannot find the server (I do not know the exact terminology that it uses since right now the mail is working). If I cannot access the server through Outlook, I try the web interface directly and I cannot access that either. Whenever Outlook asks me for my Rennlist password, I type it in and everything works fine. if I miss-type the password, it tells me it is invalid and I type it again.

This is all that I know about the e-mail situation, please let me know if there is something you want me to try. I am almost ready to abandon my Rennlist e-mail account, but I would prefer to keep using it. I certainly do appreciate all of your help, but the problem seems to be completely random on this end.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:46 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi John (again),

I just tried to access my mail. This time it asked me for the password, but then hung up and would not get my mail (it has rarely, if ever, done this before). Here is a copy of the error message from Outlook version 10.2627.2625

Task 'rennlist.net - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR Authentication failed'
Old 07-08-2005, 12:57 AM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
...Whenever Outlook asks me for my Rennlist password, I type it in and everything works fine. if I miss-type the password, it tells me it is invalid and I type it again.......The server responded: -ERR Authentication failed'
Hi Dan,

Like I said - and Outlook said above - your password is incorrect, which is when the server "hang's up" on that connection.... Can you go to that account setting in Outlook - and reset your password to the correct one? Outlook is also pretty strange, as it's "saved" password is not always re-written by a new one, unless you actually reboot and re-login...

Best to you,

John
Old 07-08-2005, 01:13 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't get what you are saying. I DO NOT have the password saved anywhere. There is no way to "reset" a password that is not set in the first place. What am I missing???? When I click the rend/receive tab I have to enter the password for my account, it is not saved, it is not stored, I enter it every time. If I miss-type it, it tells me that I have entered an invlaid password and i re-type it correctly. Me typing in the wrong password has NOTHING to do with the e-mail problems that I am having. i do not know of any other language that I can use to relay this information to you. Is there something else I should try besides resetting passwords that were never set??
Old 07-08-2005, 01:20 AM
John D.
Banned

Hi Dan,

Tell you what? Why don't we take this off-line, OK? You can e-mail at admin@rennlist.com, as I'd like to keep this thread for folks having issues on not reaching the server, rather then how to work with Outlook.

But - in short.....

Actually - when you set up Outlook for an "Account" - the POP3 area requires a password. When you type one it - it automatically "stores it" - whether as part of the wizard or as a "login" for future sessions...

I'm pretty sure I'm right, as I was one of the initial testors for Microsoft before we went into the production version with 4.0 and through it's existing version - FWIW....

John D.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:16 PM
John D.
Banned

Bump...

Over the next few hours - you will see the Rennlist Mail server "off and on". It's only "me" - ripping and replacing hardware

Thanks!

Sorry for the interruption...!

John
Old 07-08-2005, 11:41 PM
John D.
Banned

OK - bump again.....

I changed some hardware and re-routed this server to another T1.... So - give your Rennlist email account a try in a bit - but I just pushed a refresh to the DNS records, and even AOL caught the new IP change.... So - in the next few hours, you should be "on"...

Errr - I hope..

Thanks!!!

John D.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:11 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

1:00AM ET and I am timing out on my access to the server. Going to bed and will try again in the morning.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:18 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

8:00 AM ET, and still no worky for me. Is anyone getting their Rennlist mail today??
Old 07-09-2005, 09:46 AM
John D.
Banned

Ummm - I am

OK - try these - and let me know if either works...

http://mail.rennlist.net

http://64.205.178.99

Best to you!

JD
Old 07-09-2005, 10:35 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D.
Ummm - I am

OK - try these - and let me know if either works...

http://64.205.178.99

Best to you!

JD
Hi John,

mail.rennlist.net does not work for me, but the direct numerical IP worked fine. What does that mean?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:46 AM
John D.
Banned

Hey Danno!

OK - what that means is that your ISP's "DNS" cache needs to update - which it will automatically. See a "DNS" server is like a "telephone book" for the Internet. It translates IP addresses (like "64.205.178.99") into the name of a "website" (like "mail.rennlist.net").

To speed up those look-ups, DNS servers use a "cache" of previously stored info. After a short time, that "cache" expires - and new listings are propogated. Soooo......

What's happening in your ISPs DNS server is that the "cache" still thinks "mail.rennlist.net" goes to the old IP address on the older circuit, rather then the new one... Anyway - it will work for you once your ISPs DNS server refreshes, probably any time soon.... You'll know it's set when this URL opens:

You can also clear your own network cache - to be sure it's not in your system, and see if that works.. To do that....

- On your desktop, RIGHT CLICK on My Network Places and select "Properties";

- When the window opens - RIGHT CLICK on your connection that connects you to the Internet (like "Local Area Connection") - and you'll see a pop-up menu....

- From that pop-up menu, select "REPAIR" - and it will dump your local cache and reset your connection with the latest info from your ISP (including their DNS. So if they have the latest records, you will too.. )

JD
Old 07-09-2005, 10:51 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks John,

I have just re-set my POP3 server information in Outlook to the direct numerical IP address, and it is working fine. After a few days I will try the mail.rennlist.net address, but for now I can get my mail. It connects WAAAYYYYYY faster than it used to.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 10:55 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

I have the same problem as Daniel. Only the direct IP address works for me. The "mail" address times out.

George

Quick Reply: Rennlist Email Server ?!!! Help Admin!!