Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disabling the drive block system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 01:34 AM
miramont
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disabling the drive block system?

Does anyone know of a way to disable the drive block system on a 95 993? The remote is not functioning which means that the car will not start. I have no power whatsoever for that matter?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:14 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

I must ask you if the battery if OK in the car or not?

Is the remote battery dead?

Drive Block can be bypassed with a different chip (I have those) but I'd suggest that you fix the problem.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:18 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there a chip that will disable the stupid drive block system on a 96?

Sometimes I just stop at the store to grab something and leave the car open, no need to lock. When I come back, off course the car won't start until I hit the alarm on and then off again.

I want to keep the alarm feature, but don't care for the starter being disabled automatically after I shut the car off.

This feature should have been an option for high crime areas. it is just anoying!
Old 06-29-2005, 09:48 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Sergio,

The Drive Block does, as you say, automatically re-arm after a few minutes if the ignition key is removed. This is even if the car is left unlocked.

In these cases, insert the igntion key as normal and turn clockwise till the red Drive Block Immobilizer icon lights up in the clock face (I think it the clock face, anyway). Then press the Immobilizer disarm button momentarily. This disarms the Drive Block without any move gymnastics or looking dorky to a passenger. The car will start if you continue to turn the igntion key clockwise.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:53 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the tip Mike. I'll try that. But I still wish I could just disable that "feature" all together.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Cabrio993:

As you have a '96 (OBD-II) car, the only way to disable the Drive Block system is to make the change in software or buy a non-DB ECU.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:52 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Here in Canada with mandatory daytime running lights, every time I forget this I have to go through two ignition cycles on the HIDs which can add to 'wear and tear'. So, I use Mike's technique, but have also discovered that if you leave the key in the ignition when the car is off the DB system does not engage and it can be started 'normally' ... having said that, I don't think its a good habit to get into??
Old 06-29-2005, 01:59 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by the_buch
Here in Canada with mandatory daytime running lights, every time I forget this I have to go through two ignition cycles on the HIDs which can add to 'wear and tear'. So, I use Mike's technique, but have also discovered that if you leave the key in the ignition when the car is off the DB system does not engage and it can be started 'normally' ... having said that, I don't think its a good habit to get into??
Doug,

Thanks for mentioning that. With the car locked in my garage, I always leave the key fully in the ignition and, as you said, it starts normally with no fumbling to disengage the DB. I will continue to do this, at least till my son turns 16....
Old 06-29-2005, 02:13 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"at least till my son turns 16...."
ala risky business!
Old 06-29-2005, 02:45 PM
miramont
Track Day

Default battery?

I have AAA coming to check on the battery. If I do need a new battery are you reccommending anything special or will the standard do?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:22 PM
miramont
Track Day

Default new battery needed

The battery wouldn't register at all. Completely dead says the AAA guy. Is there anything special I need to be concerned about when replacing the battery?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:05 AM
miramont
Track Day

Default it was the battery

New battery solved the mystery. Up and running like a gem. Thanks for your help with this one.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:12 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As has been mentioned many times previously, the driveblock system needs good voltage to function properly. A run down battery will cause problems.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:21 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by miramont
New battery solved the mystery. Up and running like a gem. Thanks for your help with this one.
Hey Miramont,

Just a heads up, hope you don't have this problem.. But when I changed my battery, I forever messed up my obdII. I have problems passing smog in Calif, and my car runs crystal clean..

In the event you are in Cali and you have problems with smog.. In the past I have posted a resolution. Go to a referee station. You don't even want to hear the song and dance Porsche gave me about the $1000 fix that may or may not fix the problem.. They never mentioned going to a referee station..

GL

B

btw, I
HATE DRIVE BLOCK... what a P.I.A.....

Quick Reply: disabling the drive block system?