Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

The Concours at Hershey is going to be AMAZING! Here's some preview pics from today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts
Default The Concours at Hershey is going to be AMAZING! Here's some preview pics from today!

Oh my gosh... We went to the National Swap Meet today, expecting it to be so much bigger and better than the April Hershey Swap Meet. HUGE disappointment. It was barely half the size of the April Swap meet and there were practical no cars for sale. WTF? We tried to make the best of it, really spending alot of times in the grass parking lot across the street where we did see some cool cars, and we figured this was the best it would get all day. WRONG!

We heard a humor that there were SOME cars setting up by the Hershey Hotel and that maybe we could get up there to see if it was true. We heard that someone had brought in from Germany a 959, GT1, GT2 and a 917. I was thinking... yeah, right. Little did I know. Thank g*d we decided to drive the 2 minutes up the road to the hotel as we struck GOLD! We walked into a surreal scene out of a fantasy that's only lived in my head ... till now.

So, there was tons of cool cars, and I only took a 30 pics, so the other guys will have to fill in the gaps over the next couple of days. One guy we overheard said that this was even better than Monteray (?), whatever that means (excuse my ignorance).
It was nice getting there before 1/2 the cars did, watching 930's and 917 racecars pull in there roaring away. I'd never even seen a race car in the flesh before, let alone one lumbering down a tiny asphalt driveway making it's way onto a lawn! I never thought I'd see a 959 in the flesh, the highlight by far of the day for me. I never thought I'd see 1/2 the cars I saw today in the flesh. My eyes have been widened, my jaw hurts from dropping so low, my brain is overloaded with images I'd only seen in pics!

I don't even know 1/2 of what I saw, have never heard of some of these race cars and special editions, but it was fun to see them! I can only imagine what you lucky bastar*s will get to see tomorrow!

Had lunch at the Hotel and mused over what we just had seen. My mind is totally blown.
Here's us, my Boxster driving Uncle and my friend in the parking lot at the swap meet thinking... "so this is it?"

Nice plate!

But THEN we found the Concours by the Hotel Hershey! Ahhhh - we like! Poor Rezal left home early and didn't see all this. OK, I promised I wouldn't rub your nose in it... too much!

"So Bruce, why get a 993 when you could just this Carrera GT for just a little bit more?"

More in a couple of minutes! Hope I didn't bore ya...

Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 06-25-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hurry up!
My wifes gonna be home any time now! If she catches me with my fly down while looking at cars one more time I'm T. O. S. T, toast!!!
Old 06-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

More of the pics:

Uh, we determined this next one is a spaceship from War of the Worlds maybe?!

We wondered - what the heck could this be? Anyone?

We saw one of these sailing by us on Rt 322 on the way back to DC!

Oh man, I think I just wet myself!

Can you imagine THIS parked in your driveway? Oh but to dream!

Bill Gates - you lucky dog!
Is this me or what?

Honey - THIS is what I want for Christmas!

You can have your race cars, I'll just take one of these old 1986 beaters!

RS heaven!!!

Come to papa...

More coming still!
Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 06-25-2005 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

A 904? I wouldn't have known what it was! I have so much to learn!

More Porsches - who knew? Not me!

So THIS is how they get all this stuff here!

A concours winner from last year, I think. A light green beauty w/ the Hershey Hotel in background.

Our new Egyptian Mau kitty, "Tut" says goodbye from us!

What a day - and what we saw was only 1/2 of what's coming! I WISH I could go back tomorrow, but quite honestly, I felt VERY satisfied with the "little" we did see today. I took a buddy who was thinking about getting a Ferrari F355 until recently when he got thinking instead about a 993! After today, he's practically sold! Met a fellow 993 Rennlister - Sean, as soon we both parked right next to each other at the Swap meet and we all hung out together all day. It is so nice meeting other Rennlisters and them turning out to be ... just like me!

I've never been to a Porsche Parade and feel blessed to be part of the "pre" festivities today!

Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 06-25-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Steve,

I'm sorry we missed you but glad I happened to see your 993.

I know Rennsport Reunion was the deal, but I was floored to see so many old Porsche race cars. From the Martini and Rossi 917 to the 917-30 (supposedly, a "new" car that is not the same as the winning car Mark Donohue raced. I overheard (misheard?) this from the driver/owner after he tooled onto the lawn, about thirty of us simultaneously picking grass out of our bottom teeth after our jaws all collectively dropped to the ground) to the Bonnier/Hill/Moss/Barth/Holbert RS60 to the Lowenbrau Holbert 962 to 993 and 996 GT-1's to jeez someone defib me, I'm gonna have a hearty tack! Gawd, it was Porsche heaven.

Kudos to Manny Alban and Bob Gutjahr for a superb job. They should feel satisfied that they were able to orchestrate such a logistically difficult project.

I'll have pile of photos to post in the next few days.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi steve...thanks a lot for sharing your pics...the 904 is the most beautiful car ever built in my humble opinion...if I had "silly money" to spend, I'd have one in my garage right now!

PS. My wife is crazy about that cat...what a kilty fellow! What breed is that?

Take care...
Old 06-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pedro - Yeah, 904's are cool! The kitty is an Egyptian Mau. They are the fastest domestic cats and have been clocked at 30 mph and can jump highest at 6+ feet from a dead stop!

Mark - It was humorous getting your business card on my car as I pulling out from the Hotel Hershey after lunch! I didn't even know you were coming today - I would have called you earlier! What a picture perfect day to see some cool stuff!!!

Some pics my uncle took:

This is the car he wants next, in the exact color he'd want:

And we all loved this little, odd car...

Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 06-25-2005 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:47 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Steve, it was certainly great meeting up with you and your friends. We certainly made the right choise to check out the hotel. Here's a couple more pictures you did not post.
Attached Images   
Old 06-26-2005, 09:58 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

A couple more...
Attached Images    
Old 06-26-2005, 11:07 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve
Thanks for sharin the pics....some great cars...sorry I missed the event....hope to catch you soon...fancy a coffee at starbucks sometime???
Old 06-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

We on the West Coast have no idea what we missed were it not for the pics. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:27 PM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Steve...Great pics!
Old 06-26-2005, 01:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Fantastic cars!
Old 06-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Here are some pics from Parade.

First a question: can anyone guess what car lurks beneath the car cover?
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

My favorite car out of the all of the Porsches present and uncovered on Saturday afternoon was the 917, my first time in the presence of this legend. It's amazing how low these cars are and how sublimely beautiful the swoopy, flowing lines are. I could have shot this thing all week and only wish I had proper lighting and a clean background to really show off the true form if this masterpiece. Absolutely exciting to this motorsports nut.

As you can see, I spent a lot of time on that magnificent tail. If I have a 993, it should come as no surprise that I like sweet a**es.
Attached Images             

Quick Reply: The Concours at Hershey is going to be AMAZING! Here's some preview pics from today!