Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Waiting for GT3 prices drop?
Yes. $85,000 - $70,000
10.34%
Yes. $70,000 - $55,000
18.39%
Yes. $55,000 - $39,900
19.54%
No.
51.72%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005 | 09:08 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"but I see you're just a dick"
how mature...what are you going to call me next? i guess that is what i should expect from someone who feels the need to flaunt the car they drive in such an obnoxious way.
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:10 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hate GT3's. I used to give John (mooty) a run for his money when he drove anything but the GT3. Now I can't stay anywhere near him. They are wonderful cars and make me consider getting a cup car once I learn to drive the Turtle and am ready to move on/up.
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:13 PM
kary993
Drifting

I believe the GT3 is a very fast and easy to drive street/track car. But like most things in life, there is always something better coming along either by the same manufacturer or by another that will tempt people. By the time the GT3 prices have dropped significantly, there will be something else to temp us like the 997 derivatives, or the 998, or the 999 (whatever they choose to call them). So by that time owning a GT3 for a lower price will be kind of like buying a $30,000 993 of today.
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:17 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

IMHO, I don't see the natural upgrade progression from a 993TT to a GT3. Is the GT3 a better performer in almost every measurable criteria? Sure. But so is the Z06, heck the C6 for that matter.

It really doesn't matter to me. I am drawn to the wonderful lines of a 993, the smell of oil in the garage, the cramped/dated interior and the wonderful sound of an aircooled flat 6. Plus, the hips! Although I have grown to appreciate the lines of a 996 and especially the 996TT, at the end of the day, the GT3 is still a 996 (narrow body) which does nothing for me.
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

kary's thoughts are absolute correct, there's always something better. that's why i goto work everyday hoping to scrape enough dough to buy the next toy.

i had a prestine 993c2s (my dream car) next to my GT3 for about 8 months. but after a while i realized that GT3 is better than my C2S in every single way other than lack of a fat butt.

tom... i started tracking the gt3 b/c of you. since i can't drive i need hp. i want to get you off my ***. so i added hp ;-)

btw, i have a 240hp m3 now. so we are more or less even. when we meet next, try not to lap me more than twice per session. i got a reputation to uphold.

back to topic. i know GT3 prices will drop, but for it to drop below $70k, it will take another 3-5 years... though you can find nice ones for mid 80's now. but it will stay at that point for a while.
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:24 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Default GT3 VS 993RS

Impressions

I spend alot of time in the RS and starting to spend more time in the GT3

Hello all,

I have just returned from a trackday where fellow rennlist member was kind enough to let him take his GT3 out on the track....at thunderhill

This is my inital impression of the car vs the 993RS which resides in Singapore and has been used on Sepang F1.

I will post now only my inital impressions on the track.

The GT3 and RS

Steering and Weight

The immediate feel when you put the car out on the track thru the turns, one can feel the weight difference. The GT3 makes you feel the weight and wrestles you throught the turns. The rear weight on the engine is there and one is constently reminded it is a lump that might just swing over anytime....
Steering is alittle less positive than the RS. The RS has a more positive feedback, each input is more responsive and one can feel the result of each input where the GT3 seems alittle less responsive. This could also be due to the fact that throttle steering on the RS is far easier as it was lighter.
The weight in the back seems a little easier to manange compared to the GT3.

Power delivery and gears

The GT3 delivers a far more linear "punch" The RS's varioram has more bite/kick compared to the GT3. Yet, the power is more manageable on the RS(prehaps due to the lighter weight? or shorter wheelbase) GT3 ratios are too tall for my liking. Although one has enough torque to pull the car out of anycorner in third, it is annoying not to be in the correct powerband.

These are the two main set of differences I can tell between the two cars.
One has to maintain that the cars were both tested on very different tracks
GT3 at Thunderhill
RS at Sepang F1
The RS is my own car and thus I was more willing to subject it to higher "stress" factors. I have made multiple spins and gone off track alot just to get the right feel of the car. It was also a Porsche ony track day with only a dozen cars on track. So I was alot more comfortable.
The GT3 belongs to Mooty and I was not willing to give it more. I will do so when I take my own out on the track.

To sum it up,

I do prefer the 993RS as a street/weekend warrior. The sensation of the air cooled motor, the ergomonics of the 993 chassis and the overall "feel" of the car is just sensational.
There isnt anything wrong with the GT3(maybe that is the problem?) The weight is there and one cannot deny that it is bothersome when a car like this is purchased with the intent to go fast(safely).

Yes, if I had a choice between the two cars. I would have like the feel of the 993, the reliability and ease of service of the GT3(try changing oil on both cars back to back and you will know what I am talking about).

No doubts about it though...if I can only have one of the two. It would be the 993RS.

Although a 996GT3 RS looks awefully tempting....
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:25 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
for it to drop below $70k, it will take another 3-5 years... though you can find nice ones for mid 80's now. but it will stay at that point for a while.

remind me why you give me that price for my car last night?
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:38 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mborkow
what are you going to call me next?
How about envious, bitter, irascible, troll...?

Fact is, as a die-hard aircooled fan I recently made the complete jump from 993 to GT3 and was wondering if anyone else had also considered this, seeing how so many GT3s are up for sale.

Now, exactly what do I have to gloat about?
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:46 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Where is this hostility coming from? Sheesh!

Those who know Noel know that gloating, boasting or seeking attention is about the last thing he does. To suggest otherwise is to reveal (a) that you really don't know the man - and (b) way too much about yourself.

Now, IMHO Noel has two of the most desireable street P-cars a person can own in the US. A very lucky dude.
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:54 PM
24FPS
Drifting

i am considering... esp. when the prices near the 80's. given the drive-ability... i may have to look past its non-993 looks. hearing about the times some guys are turning (esp. less experienced) on the track...................... the gt3 is looking sexier & sexier. be perfect to own both. btw noel why did ya sell the c4s (oops/edit) anyway? (or was that hearsay?)

Last edited by 24FPS; 06-24-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2005 | 10:04 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Noel, just checked out your gallery. Very nice pics. Who's silver GT2 is that, very nice! I didn't realize that you sold the 993.
Old 06-23-2005 | 12:13 AM
CP
Race Director

What are the GT3 attributes? RWD, no PSM, better HP/torque and lighter than the 993. I have all that in my RUF, and much more. So no thanks for me.

The RUF is a real bummer. It kills the urge for all other sports cars. I'm not even thinking about an M5 much anymore.

CP
Old 06-23-2005 | 12:08 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rich: It's true, the C4S is sold. I never drove it that often, ~1k miles a year. Was hard to watch it leave - but what a sight. Did you get a new car?

Fred: Thanks! That was Jack's GT2, probably the nicest example out there.

Addison: The 993 Turbo is for sure one of the best looking cars ever made, and if I owned one I'm not sure I would have made the switch. But the GT3 is just so much better than the C4S. There's a car show at the Village Coffee Roaster this Sunday, you should come, we can trade rides - I've always be curious as to how a Turbo drives.
Old 06-23-2005 | 12:16 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

VCR this Sunday, I'll be there!
Old 06-23-2005 | 01:24 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Noel, I may be at VCR this Sunday...but will probably be in the Cayenne. I'll actually be coming from a campground in Oxnard, on my way home. I'll take a rain check on the ride.

My kids are actually looking forward to seeing (shhhhhhh!) an Enzo!

Quick Reply: GT3?