Sponsored by:

Pre-tension on strut bar ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 03:33 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
Question Pre-tension on strut bar ...

Any thoughts on whether or not I should have some inward or outward tension on an adjustable strut tower bar when the car is just sitting on level ground ... also, I thought I should disconnect the bar for a ride-height adjustment and alignment, and then re-install and pre-tension if appropriate ...

thanks,
Old 06-21-2005, 03:36 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There should be outward tension, though only 1/4 turn on my (AJ USA) bar, not sure how standard that is. I would think you would want to tension the bar, then do your balance and align, otherwise your settings can change if you tension afterwards.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:26 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

What Troy means by "outward tension" is that the strut brace should be in compression, i.e. pushing slightly on the struts, which you do by installing the bar then screwing the ends so as to increase the length of the bar. Only slight compression, however.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:28 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Absolutely, in compression as already stated. Not too much as you dont want to make a widebody out of it Oh wait a minute, I just noticed you already have one..
Old 06-21-2005, 06:11 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

As I understand it, with any suspension alignment changes, you should disconnect the bar. Then set everything up and then reconnect it with only a slight outward tension.

Rumor has it that you can actually move the strut mountings inwards or outwards with not too much wrenching on a bar. So I guess less is more. In theory, if you really muscled it, you could change the camber! LOL
Old 06-21-2005, 06:48 PM
msch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the 1/4 inch turn for my bar as well as it was advised for me to do so. I'm using the OEM Porsche bar
Old 06-21-2005, 11:00 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also took the advice from the forum and gave it the "outward tension" to the towers. However, according to the Performance Products, it says "During hard cornering, the stock front shock towers spread apart..." - now I'm confused. By applying the ourward tension, am I not adding more pressure in the wrong direction? Shouldn't it be mounted with the "inward tension" to hold the towers from spreading apart? Perhaps I'm not interpretating it correctly, and I ask for your explanations please. Thank you.

http://www.automotion.com/ProductPag...eister&type=20
Old 06-22-2005, 12:16 AM
msch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you put outward tension like the picture below

. . . . . . . . _____________
. . . . . ___/. . . . . . . . . . .. \____
. . . . . <- - . . . . . . . . . . . . . .- - >

you are putting pressure/force on the towers to keep them from flexing, because when you corner, the chasis will want to flex to accomodate the extra force caused by the turn.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:30 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

The manufacturer of my bar (Cup-Sport) also say to tense 'outwards' (i.e., the bar slightly longer than slack) ... as suggested above, I believe the bar should be removed for alignment and then re-installed afterwards so as to allow the spec tensioning without influencing alignment settings (albeit very slightly) ... thanks for the input so far ...
Old 06-22-2005, 02:34 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

jkuniverse ... good question ... perhaps the outward tension allows for very limited spreading of the towers which would otherwise put too much force on the bar??

Quick Reply: Pre-tension on strut bar ...