Sponsored by:

Sources for alternative valve guide materials

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 04:52 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
Question Sources for alternative valve guide materials

Having read most of the dialogue on impending valve guide doom, I note that only Rennsport seems to have taken the initiative to adopt a non-OEM approach to these critical materials on top-end rebuild. When I ask my local dealer or independent shop they both just spec the OEM guides for a rebuild.

If I recall correctly, Steve is using some kind of PB alloy for the new guides, and claims significant improvements in longevity (Steve - do you have much data yet on the mileage possibilities with the better guides?).

If (when) I need to get this work done, isn't it just a no-brainer to drive to Portland (or possibly get Steve to ship the superior guides to my shop)? Why would you rebuild the top-end with a 40,000mile OEM component unless that is at least a five year horizon (it's two years for me!)?

Are there any other stories out there about being appropriately ambitious about fixing this problem right when you have the opportunity?

Thanks,
Old 06-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 562 Posts

I would ship him the heads. He custom fits each valve to the guide.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Doug:

FWIW,........We've been using this guide material since 1980 and I've not had to redo any heads so equipped unless there was mechanical failure or different valves were installed.

Speaking only for myself, I'm very pleased with the lifespan of these things and they last as long as the rest of the engine,...

I can provide the guides if you wish, but part of the overall success is how the guides are fitted.

The bottom line here is to watch your oil consumption and when it approaches 700/miles per litre (or quart), its time to fix it,.....
Old 06-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer is not going to suggest aftermarket guides. To suggest anything but OEM guide material for a repair would be suggesting there is something wrong with what was factory delivered.

In our opinion, to do this repair without using upgraded guides is not doing the job properly.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:39 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Steve ... thanks for responding - pretty impressive record with the alternative guides ... as suggested above, I presume you would accept the heads shipped to you for this work??

Laura ... exactly my point - it would be nuts not to do it right if there are viable options, particularly given the apparent longevity of the bottom end of these engines.

Regards,
Old 06-15-2005, 12:11 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by the_buch
Steve ... thanks for responding - pretty impressive record with the alternative guides ... as suggested above, I presume you would accept the heads shipped to you for this work??
Yessir,.......We can do that for you.

The most important thing is that they are prepared for shipping and packed VERY well. If you do that, please call me and I'll give you specific instructions about how to do this so these make the round trip in perfect condition.

Quick Reply: Sources for alternative valve guide materials