Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here ever DIY a clear-bra install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone here ever DIY a clear-bra install?

I've about given up on the clear bra. Local guy just can't seem to make it happen for whatever reason. The guys from the left coast can't stick to a DC area visit date. And I can't bring myself to pay $1000 for another shop to do it, when it's far cheaper to respray my bumper after a few yrs. www.xpel.com lists the kit I need at about $249, but rates install difficulty as "advanced". What to do?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:05 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Rick,

If your car has the stock C2 bumper cover, the DIY is well within your capabilities. I did it a couple of years ago on my '97 C2 using the Invinca-Shield kit. Areas protected were the front bumper cover (upper and lower - two pieces of film), hood (up to and above the crest), headlight surrounds, side-view mirrors and I replaced the factory pieces in front of the rear wheels that were marked up.

Invinca-Shield uses quality 3M film and their pieces are an excellent fit. They also have a a very good video tutorial for the novice. If done in an unrushed manner, with all the parts, pieces, solutions, etc at hand, you will have a good result.

When I put the Euro TT bumper on a year or so ago, I had the Xpel shop in Rochester install the film, as it was a quite a bit more complicated and I didn't have the time to do it. I would not reccomend doing the TT bumper cover as a novice, but the stock bumper cover is not difficult. All the other pieces are easy to install - the only potential PITA area is the bumper cover.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it for my car and it worked fine (Euro tt front bumper cover). I used the Invica-Shield kit. If you don't see what you want on the web site, call and ask. They have other options available.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok,I'm giving this local guy one more shot and then I'm doing the 3M kit. I just went through the photos and directions Xpel and think I can handle most of it. I wonder how I could do the front splitters though.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:41 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Rick,

Totally up to you, but IMO if you're going to DIY, I would use the Invinca-Shield kits. I watched the Xpel guys (factory trained shop) install their kit on my car last spring and it was a tough job even for them. For example, the headlight 'surrounds' in the Xpel kit require stretching and fitting around the entire headlight assy. The Invinca-Shield is a better design, falls right into place and offers nearly the same protection for this area.

Also, I know for a fact that Invinca-Shields customer service is first-rate. Several times I called to speak to them and they put me on with the guys in the shop that cut the film. Or if I screwed up a piece they would send me another at no cost - not even shipping charges. Most everyone here who has DIY the paint protection has used the Invinca-Shield kits - I think they are made with the thought in mind that the car owner is going to install the product, not a trained shop guy.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I did everything on mine but the front splitters. After a few weeks the splitters look a bit rough already. What ever!

The key to a good job is practice. I use mostly the soap slip solution and only use the alcohol mix when I really have to lock a section in place. Invinca-Shield will give you a discount on replacing the pieces you destroy during the install process. Hey, I even did my Tundra.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudley
Yeah, I did everything on mine but the front splitters. After a few weeks the splitters look a bit rough already.
You mean courtesy of the dealer.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For sure. They don't sell anything that will protect you from a dealer.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:05 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick - I did it with good results. If you are doing more than one car, do the car with fewer compund (?) curves first. I did my S2000, was a snap. The P car was more difficult, but still an relatively straightforward DIY. Used Invinca Shield.

I use both mixes. I fthe piece is a tough one, I use the soap stuff, sometimes going to EtOH mix when it is in good position and need some help at the edges. for simple pieces, I just use the EtOH mix. Much faster.

Wash your hands, do it in a clean environment, and for the big pieces, get a second pair of hands to place them - it is much easier.

Best of luck!!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:12 AM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I installed the invinca shield kit on my 993, with no problems. It took 90 mins to install. My only cost was the $140 for the kit.

Quick Reply: Anyone here ever DIY a clear-bra install?