993 Forum 1995-1998

Check Valve Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 03:27 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Darin. I assume you did this while the engine was in the car and not during your engine drop, right? You have given me renewed confindence in doing the SAI valve replacement on my car as I had read that reinstalling the airbox was almost impossible to do on Vram cars. Mahalo
Old 06-13-2005, 10:29 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Yep, The engine was completely re-installed in the car. The airbox was also removed when the new suspension was put on. Had to get it out of the way to get to the rear shock mounting bolts.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:35 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks to Coleman, I'm in the process of changing the valve. He kindly agreed to have the tool sent all the way to Hawaii where it has just removed my 60 k mile check valve. Thanks, Coleman!

I've removed the valve and have done the "Walrod flush" of the passages with Techron, twice. I'm now letting it sit overnight and will do it once more tomorrow morning before I start to reassemble.

Couple of obvservations to this point...

The valve has an aluminum crush washer that goes between valve and engine. The valve does not come with one and I was going to just reuse what I had, but after checking my Porsche parts stash, I found that the washer is the same size as the crush washers used for the oil drain plugs. I had a new one handy, so I lucked out.

When doing the flush, if your old valve is still operational, it should only flow air in one direction. I tested the one I took out and it's still functioned as a one way valve.. ie... it lets air flow into the engine. After I filled the passage with Techron, I screwed the old valve back in by hand and then blew the air into the passages from the top of the old valve. Because it's a one way valve, the Techron doesn't come flying back out when you hit it w/ air.

Tomorrow, I'll Walrod flush one more time in hopes of blowing out what might have softened up overnight. Will hope for the best and then carefully position that airbox into place.

Many thanks to all the Rennlisters who have contributed their knowledge pertaining to this valve and in turn, given me the confidence to do this on my own.... with the collective wisdom of this board and the generosity that abounds, there is very little that cannot be accomplished by the average enthusiest on their cars.

Mahalo, all...

p.s- anyone know what the torque value is for the valve so I can at least guesstimate how much to tighten it up on installation?

Last edited by kkim; 06-25-2005 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:14 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kkim
p.s- anyone know what the torque value is for the valve so I can at least guesstimate how much to tighten it up on installation?
Tighten until your right elbow clicks..
Old 06-25-2005, 01:16 PM
98carrera4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman
...I fabbed one form a sears 1" crows foot. ..you need to grind both sides to make a 21mm opening and the tops as it has to be skinny to fit into the gap. A 21mm crows foot may not exist...
Awesome DIY post, Coleman. One clarification that may help others avoid the need to create a custom tool. If you really need a 21mm crow's foot wrench, they are available. Not sure if they're skinny enough to do the job, but just do a Google search on "21 mm crow foot" and you'll see a bunch of sources come up. Like these two, for example:

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...roducts_id=662

http://www.toolprice.com/product/6724D
Old 06-25-2005, 01:24 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Kelly
In Coleman's DIY above he describes a "modified 21mm crows foot wrench" which he fabbed ... from a sears 1" crows foot. In his referenced thread, Laura (Hergeshiemers) refers to it as "a thin 27mm offset crows foot wrench." I assume the DIY size reference is a typo & the correct size is 27mm or just slightly over 1". Can you confirm?
Old 06-25-2005, 02:41 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
... the correct size is 27mm or just slightly over 1". Can you confirm?
He started w/ a 1 inch crowsfoot and modified it to 27mm opening.. good catch, Dan.
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2005, 03:06 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by kkim
I've removed the valve and have done the "Walrod flush" of the passages with Techron, twice. I'm now letting it sit overnight and will do it once more tomorrow morning before I start to reassemble.
Kelly,
If you still have everything apart try Seafoam instead of Techron. Regular use of Techron did almost nothing for removing carbon from my engine so I tried Seafoam. I haven't taken everything apart again to see how much of improvement there might or might not be but after my previous results I believe anything would be better than Techron for dissolving carbon deposits. (and the F1 style smoke show was awesome but you won't get that unless you drop the cats and suck it through a vacuum line...)

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2005, 03:45 PM
98carrera4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Hi Kelly
In Coleman's DIY above he describes a "modified 21mm crows foot wrench" which he fabbed ... from a sears 1" crows foot. In his referenced thread, Laura (Hergeshiemers) refers to it as "a thin 27mm offset crows foot wrench." I assume the DIY size reference is a typo & the correct size is 27mm or just slightly over 1". Can you confirm?
Terrific catch, Dan. Just did another quick Google search to satisfy my own curiosity...turns out that 27 mm crow foot wrenches also exist (they're often referred to as jumbo crow foot wrenches), but tend to be harder to find and are more expensive than the smaller metric sizes. A decent option may be to look for them on Ebay (particularly Ebay Germany, where metric wrenches are likely to be more plentiful). Here's one set for sale right now on the US site (not sure what the reserve price is): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Overstock also has a non-metric jumbo set for about $30. http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....prod_id=711610

Lastly, also came across this specialized German tool http://www.samstagsales.com/Gedore/gd3114ds-24.jpg - Wrench, Crowfoot 27mm with Tommy Bar ~$65, which seems to be exactly what's required...though the cost may be prohibitive compared to other alternatives.

Last edited by 98carrera4S; 06-25-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:36 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Trying to reinstall the airbox and it just will not line back up. If you can help, please read my thread at

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/211980-vram-airbox-reinstall-problem.html
Old 06-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Good catch!! Yes, it was 27mm fabbed from a 1" Craftsman Crowfoot wrench as Kelly pointed out in the photo! .. sorry.. as the preamble to the post detailed, I had a glass of wine before I started typing and I think the 27mm became a 21mm, somehow.. What I got from Laura's post was that you were gonna have to modify a 27mm (even if you could find one under 50$) as it was too fat to access the slim nut.. as any crows foot that wide was gonna be thick to hande the torques applied.. I figuered if you're gonna grind away at a wrench, it may as well be an affordable one.. the tool has been to 3 people so far! (PM me if you need it sent to you!) this is really cool, it just floats around.. we should come up with some other hard to find/expensive/rare/seldom used Porsche tools and just have them rotate around users! Kinda brings the community closer! I wonder if we should have a "Community" Hammer!!

Coleman.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:51 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman
I wonder if we should have a "Community" Hammer!!
There is one available that makes the rounds on the 964 board but it requires a hefty deposit because of the replacement cost and the difficulty of buying another one. Its also not that cheap to ship because of the size of the carrying case. If you are located in New England I have one that I occasionally lend to fellow Rennlisters.

Quick Reply: Check Valve Replacement DIY