Sponsored by:

Check Valve Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Check Valve Replacement DIY

First off.. Pardon any typos.. my hands hurt after taking off a Cargraphic cat and installing the stock cat back, plus doing the aforementioned DIY.. (plus I just had a few glasses of ChateauNeuf De Pap!) That being said.. I had been reading up on this valve causing CEL errors and just generally becoming gummed up or rusted after a few years.. I figured that mine should be looked at considering my car is 10 years old and it most likely has the stock valve... Follow this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=valve For info about the maladies of said valve. In the thread Laura mentioned that a "Modified Crow's foot wrench" was to be used.. I fabbed one form a sears 1" crows foot. ..you need to grind both sides to make a 21mm opening and the tops as it has to be skinny to fit into the gap. A 21mm crows foot may not exist..

Tools-
Valve P/N 993 113 250 03
3/8th ratchet with extender links.
metric sockets
1/4" socket with extenders and sockets.

Remove Airbox front.. take filter out;

Remove back via clips to the MAF. Remove single 13mm(?) bolt on top and use 1/4" wrench with socket 6mm(?) to loosen up hose clamp on return tube.

Remove rear half of Airbox.

(Check photos for valve placement) Its behind the right side of intake spider.

Remove top tube by removing hose clamp, easy to get at with a long 1/4" 6mm rachet.

Fit Crows foot to valve, build up some height with extenders and add wrench to top of extenders & twist 1/4 turn to losen; remove with hand.

Spray some solvent into the base- My base was totally contaminated with blow-by and carbon and crud.. I filled it and removed the solvent with paper towel cigars- My old valve was so full of stuff, it was blocked.

Install new Valve. ** Remember, there is an aluminum crush washer floating around in your engine bay.. it goes between the base and the valve.

Install Hose and clamp on top of valve; install hose on back of airbox. Install airbox back onto MAF, Return filter into box and button up!!

I will be glad to send my custom tool out to anybody who wants to borrow it for this DIY- Just PM me and I'll get it to you in the mail, seeing that this is the ONLY purpose for this tool, I'll not need it for a bit!

I got ripped off by my dealer on the part price, I paid 77, I think you can get it for about 65..

Gert has it for 45 Euros..

Good luck, The install took me 1hr..

Coleman.
Attached Images          

Last edited by Coleman; 06-12-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:57 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Cool deal, another new one installed. One thing I have been doing while replacing these valves, before installing the new one, I pour some Techron down the tube, let it set for some time, pour a little more and chase it with 100psi. A rubber tipped air gun works well.

One concern I had originally was this pure Techron and its affects on O2 sensors, but so far so good..

Thanks for the write-up!!
Old 06-12-2005, 02:59 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, Techtron would have been a good alternative to the sovent apray I used.. Mine just puddled up in the base though.. Is this bad?? where does that base go to? Is it possible that the entire line is clogged? or maybe I just filled up the tube?

Coleman,.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:02 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Hmm, maybe from the diagram above, it just goes up the smllaer dia. tube. #3 & 12.. and 12 looks like it loops back to the base.... so there is nowhere for any fluid to drain to..

Coleman-
Old 06-12-2005, 03:34 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

IIRC, there is an uphill run via hardline before it runs downhill. Chasing it with air is what moves it towards the exhaust port. Not sure whether the Techron actually does anything, but I dont feel it can hurt.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:33 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
One thing I have been doing while replacing these valves, before installing the new one, I pour some Techron down the tube

Chris,

Can you provide a rough guesstimate of how much "some" is?

I gotta do this one day soon...
Old 06-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my next project, so thanks for the write-up. It will be a big help shortly.

Also, this would look nice in the DIY section of Rennlist. How does one ask for it to be copied over to there?
Old 06-12-2005, 03:21 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by kkim
Chris,

Can you provide a rough guesstimate of how much "some" is?

I gotta do this one day soon...
Just until it fills-up (technical term), you'll see once you get there.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:36 PM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
Also, this would look nice in the DIY section of Rennlist. How does one ask for it to be copied over to there?
Go to the DIY submission area, open a new thread, cut and paste this address in the post and a moderator will add it if worthy. This one certainly is IMO.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:05 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Chris.

Only thing that has been stoppng me from changing the valve is the mention some posters have made about getting the airbox of 96-98s back on due to extra hoses that need to be lined up when reinstalling.

Has anyone with a 96-98 MY car had their airbox off and on before? How was the reinstall?
Old 06-12-2005, 05:08 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Thanks, Chris.

Only thing that has been stoppng me from changing the valve is the mention some posters have made about getting the airbox of 96-98s back on due to extra hoses that need to be lined up when reinstalling.

Has anyone with a 96-98 MY car had their airbox off and on before? How was the reinstall?
Just loosen the clamp on the other side of the MAF, and rotate the whole assy. Makes it a lot easier..
Old 06-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the post. I've wondered why this is such a PITA but now I see!

...and on on father's day you'll be drinking - Chateauneuf du Pop sorry...
Old 06-12-2005, 09:47 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

next time change the check valve leading to the secondary check valve it is is number 4 on the diagram. I recently changed both.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

I was looking at #4, the Check Valve, but it seemed so far up the stream, none of the blow-by goo could get there.. I'll check it out!

Thanks-

Coleman.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:23 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks, Chris.

Yeah Kelly,
It's a little tricky getting it back on. You have to tilt it down, on the intake side, and put it on slightly sideways to get it to start on the mounting tabs. Also, you need to reconnect the hose on the side of it.
It took us a couple of tries, but it did go on, after a few minutes of working with it.

Quick Reply: Check Valve Replacement DIY