Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the outer ducting nails the coolers
Jayster,

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I know what that quote means.

Does it mean that the placement of the coolers themselves line up perfectly with the ducts on the Turbo and/or C2S nose?

Does the mesh have to be used or can the stock plastic pieces still be used in the bumper cover?

Also with this kit does the bumper cover need to be cut at all?

Do the coolers rub up against the bumper cover? I think I read somewhere with someones installation, or another kit or the setup they designed that the cooler or some other part of the system rubbed up against the nose or was a very, very, tight fit.

Edited:

Another question.

My C2S has the bumper cover that has bumperettes and fog lights. So with the fittings on the oil coolers interfere with the fog lights? I noticed on Micke W's car it looked like he has the turbo s scoops, i.e. the Euro bumper cover.

Last edited by Ron; 06-10-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron
Jayster,

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I know what that quote means.

Does it mean that the placement of the coolers themselves line up perfectly with the ducts on the Turbo and/or C2S nose?

Does the mesh have to be used or can the stock plastic pieces still be used in the bumper cover?

Also with this kit does the bumper cover need to be cut at all?

Do the coolers rub up against the bumper cover? I think I read somewhere with someones installation, or another kit or the setup they designed that the cooler or some other part of the system rubbed up against the nose or was a very, very, tight fit.
Ron,

Jayster obviously needs to confirm this but in the mean time I can hopefully help a bit.

See the photo from my DIY below, it shows where the cooler is located and where the Turbo S ducts are. In my case I've actually removed the lights entirely and use one hole for directing air to the stock cooler (and a/c) and other to the brake ducts.

As you can see, oil line is right there where the duct would normally run but you could "snake" the tube around the oil line since it's not directly behind the oil line, it's close so the tube will have some tight curves and maybe needs some "chrushing" but it's doable.

I don't have turbo nose as you do but in my case I was able to use normal plastic grill (I needed to cut one the the grill "clips) and also my cooler doesn't rub against the bumper cover so I'm sure it doesn't rub when you have a turbo nose. But it is a very thing fit though.
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My twin coolers do not rub against the bumper.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:59 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Hi all,

Is there a single cooler FVD kit? This kit looks clean and well constructed and reasonably priced, but I suspect that 3 front coolers might be a bit overkill for my plain ole 993. Seems like the single cooler would only need one different hose and one less cooler.

I would also like to retain my stock grill insert if possible.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 06-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Little warning, if you have stock fog light, check that they fit because cooler in this location, with oil line fittings on top you might get some fitting issues with stock fog lights. I didn’t have my stock fog lights so I couldn’t check for sure.
Flying Finn,

I copied the above from your DIY.

I do have the stock C2S bumper with the fog lights and all, so I'm thinking the FVD set up may not work. I edited my last post and hopefully Jayster will have a chance to address my questions.

The Turbo S oil cooler has the oil inlet and outlet connections on the side which seems more convenient.

Your DIY is most impressive. People sometimes don't realize that getting all the right parts together is a huge part of any job. Personally I'd much rather do the job than spend time running around finding the parts I need, not to mention figuring out what I need.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:06 AM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Hi Guys,
We have one order that came in today!! Keep them coming so we can reach the minimum 5!!!

I will leave the technical questions to Jay, I will remind him to hop on here Monday!!
Evan
Old 06-11-2005, 01:09 AM
jayster
Instructor

Ron, the stock fogs should be ok, you do have to modify the cover though depending on your objectives. If you want to use mesh in place of the grille, you need to trim off the retaining tabs. You also have some latitude in cooler location,to accomodate different duct/light combos. Also on cars that you want to run brake ducting, depending on the model, you may have to cut the back of the recess that houses the fog light to run brake cooling hose. Hope this info helps.
Thank you for your interest. Jayster .
Old 06-11-2005, 01:15 AM
jayster
Instructor

Ron, sorry about overlooking your question, again..."the outer ducts nail the coolers". If you look at the pics Evan posted, the "gills" of the bumper cover are directly in front of the coolers. Thanks again, Ron for your interest.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ron
Flying Finn,

I copied the above from your DIY.

I do have the stock C2S bumper with the fog lights and all, so I'm thinking the FVD set up may not work. I edited my last post and hopefully Jayster will have a chance to address my questions.

The Turbo S oil cooler has the oil inlet and outlet connections on the side which seems more convenient.

Your DIY is most impressive. People sometimes don't realize that getting all the right parts together is a huge part of any job. Personally I'd much rather do the job than spend time running around finding the parts I need, not to mention figuring out what I need.
Ron,

Jay already answered the question regarding the brake duct and I can confirm it's doable.
It requires some bending (of the duct) but is doable like I said. And as Jay suggest, making the duck inlet "throat" shorter will help. Or if you're like me, you can ditch the light and use that hole for the duct, in my opinion it looks more badass which in my mind means better! Benefitr of course is you'll get more air to the stock cooler.

Thanks for those kind words, I took the extra time to take photos & make the describtion because IMO that's the great part of Rennlist & Robin's DIY sites. Lot of people have contributed which makes us lot of DIYs to us DIY people possible.

This particular DIY required some R&D to do the whole thing and sourcing the parts is one of the "problems". There I got big help from Old Guy though, could've not done it without him. And of course Robin's site (with Auxilary oil cooler DIYs etc.) helped a lot.
I'm just adding a bit and passing the information to the others but like I said, thanks for those words, appreciated!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ppressle
Hi all,

Is there a single cooler FVD kit? This kit looks clean and well constructed and reasonably priced, but I suspect that 3 front coolers might be a bit overkill for my plain ole 993. Seems like the single cooler would only need one different hose and one less cooler.

I would also like to retain my stock grill insert if possible.

Thanks,
Pete
Pete,

Consensus here is there is no overkill when it comes to cooling.

That said, I only have one cooler (same size as those FVD coolers) and it does job very well although two of course would be better.
I'm planning on adding another one but I'm not sure about it since my experience with one (tested at Homestead) was so good.

I'll monitor the temps further more (next "test" is next weekend) but to balance things out I think I'll add the other one too, just for those reeeally hot days...

Overall, this really is "cheap insurance" and well worth the money for those who track their cars.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Consensus here is there is no overkill when it comes to cooling. That said, I only have one cooler (same size as those FVD coolers) and it does job very well although two of course would be better.
I'm planning on adding another one but I'm not sure about it since my experience with one (tested at Homestead) was so good.
I too was thinking along the lines of what Pete said regarding one oil cooler. For my my needs one cooler would be sufficient. I had considered the Turbo S cooler last year or the year before. I don't recall ever being able to find out what its dimensions were; I know it's very small.

The Turbo S cooler does have the oil inletand outlet on the side and that seems like it might make installation easier, not sure. I've not been able to find an aftermarket small oil cooler, like 12" long by 4" tall and 2" deep.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:04 PM
jayster
Instructor

If there is sufficient interest, I would make up a single cooler kit. However for the effort, and the returns on investment, most- actually all of the interest has been in the twin kit. The reasoning behind it is in anticipation of future upgrades, or doing any thing from spirited driving or DE's to Trophy hunting. Remember the biggest power and life robbing monster out there is thermal loading of any component, which in turn weakens the component, and subjects them to higher "wear" rates or simply put, wears it out faster. Thanks again for your interest in our products. Jayster.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:33 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

12 months later what do folk think of their FVD dual oil coolers?

Thanks
Jack
Old 08-29-2006, 10:46 AM
jayster
Instructor

Two years and about 40 "kits" later, I have had to warrantee 1 cooler line, due to a leak. It is a rennlister from Va.
Swifti, I believe. If you have any furhter questions or are intersted in a GB, call Evan @ FVD.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car is the turbo pictured at the beginning of this thread. The coolers have performed flawlsly (?) even in florida heat. Highly recommended. The screens look really cool as well. Mike W

Quick Reply: FVD Twin Oil cooler Group Buy