Sponsored by:

FVD Twin Oil cooler Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:50 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Evan that install looks pretty clean! Does the install leave space through the TS air ducts to mount a hose for directing air to the brakes? If so jog me down for one kit...
I'll call you tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:52 PM
riviera 93
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Timing, timing timing! Drat! just spent my mad $ on tires & mo Tires! drat! e
Old 06-09-2005, 12:14 AM
jayster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OUCH

I am not sure which analogy I am inclined to employ in this instance, so I will
not.
In response to FVDs kit being overpriced:
I will say however, you gravely understate the task at hand. Especially when you dismiss the amount of time needed to engineer a project, and then implement it with the ultimate goal of replicating it at will, in any quantity required, and have it done yesterday.
Besides the "cost of goods sold", and for lack of a better phrase, "just plain sticking behind what you sell" and the use of the highest quality and standard of parts, cost more money. Period.
I would'nt have it any other way, after all FVD sells the kits, I make them, and I put my name on them, and stand behind each and every one sold.
Having said that, I do thank you for your interest in our products.

Last edited by jayster; 06-09-2005 at 12:17 AM. Reason: hind sight is 20/20
Old 06-09-2005, 12:39 AM
jayster
Instructor

SCMomentum, the kit is intended for anything from a stock 964 to highly modded 993tt's and track cars. For winter driving taping the drivers side grille may be necessary in extreme situations, I mean "winter" all you floridians, as in snowfall, not when it dips below 60 .
And you can run FVDs duct's with hose to your brakes for track stuff, and it doesn't adversely affect A/C efficiency.
These facts bear out as I am in contact with a customer from Virginia, and one from Florida on a regular basis just to monitor the efficiency of the kit in these extremes. If you have any more questions I would be happy to answer them. Oh, last but not least the kit , is assembled in the USA, from mostly American parts, now you gotta feel good about that. Peace Jayster
Old 06-09-2005, 12:50 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone explain the merits of the twin cooler system? Besides, it keeps it cooler than one....

The reason I ask is that I recently did the auxillary cooler (Porsche Turbo S version) and have been to the track twice since. My temperature has never gotten above 9:00 and is usually 8:30. I'm not talking green group but 30-45 minutes of non-stop pushing the car as hard as I can.

I'm not debating price, quality, etc. just the necessity for two extra coolers.....
Old 06-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Danny,

My "homemade kit" is basically the same what this FVD kit is (except that I only have one cooler at the moment) and I have cooling ducts for the brakes.

It is little tight to get the hoses but it seems those "curves" I had to make to go around the cooling parts in driver's side didn't affect the cooling, last time at homestead I measured my front brake temperatures and both sides were similar (driver's side cooling duct has those "curves", where as passenger side doesn't).

If you look at my Auxilary oil cooler-DIY you can see I cut little piece off the bumber (inside, you can't see it when bumper is in place) to help the situation. This probably isn't necessary but it helped it a bit.

And as far as whether this FVD oil cooler kit is worth the money or not, I think it's up to the person wanting to do this.

Parts are around $500 and when you look at my DIY, you can decide whether all the work is worth that extra $500 for you or not but remember it takes some time to fiqure these things out, measure everything etc. and that's what you're paying for when you're buying this from FVD.

I did it myself (with help from OG) and you can get my "R&D" for free from the DIY I made but even with my free "R&D", you still need to order the parts, cut the hoses & install hose ends (somewhat PITA) and fabricate the brackets.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Can someone explain the merits of the twin cooler system? Besides, it keeps it cooler than one...
Pedro, you answered your own question.

Further more, Turbo S cooler is very small capacity cooler and is tubular design, not radiator as for example Mocal units are. Radiator type is more effective than tubular.

I only have one cooler like you but mine is Mocal which has more capacity & is radiator type cooler = more cooling than Turbo S.

With two Mocal (or similar) coolers it's ever better, not twice as much as with one Mocal since the other will be in front of the stock cooler warming up the temperature of the air going to the stock cooler but still more than one Mocal.

It depends how hard you drive whether Turbo S, one Mocal type or two Mocal types (or RUF etc.) is what you need.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just want to back up the R&D factor for this twin cooler kit. My car was the mule Jay used to design the kit (see pictures earlier in this post). Jay had my car for over one month. I observed the many changes the kit went thru to make it "right."
I am not a technical guru by any means. I applaud Old Guy's and Finn's project. While I really don't know how much "better" two coolers are over one, I would bet there is a difference. I drive my car "hard" and it's hot as heck down here. My guage never reads over 8 o'clock. I would imagine temps would be higher on the track but not by much. As I have said before I have no financial interest in Jay Putnam engineering or FVD. I wanted a solution to my oil cooler problem and I believe Jay has solved it in spades. Anyone who might have questions feel free to PM or call me 561-445-8300. All this said I believe very strongly what Steve W. told me when I was purchasing my car. Few mods will add to the life and reliability as an extra oil cooler will. Mike W
Old 06-09-2005, 12:25 PM
kary993
Drifting

I just ran in 95 degree heat for two days at Buttonwillo, 6 25 minute sessions a day and the temp never went above 8:30 on the oil temp. I had the Cargraphic oil cooler though which I believe has more capacity than the kit offered here or the ruf kit. Nonetheless, I think these oil cooling kits are a must for spirited drivers and folks that track their cars. I believe that oil coolers are like head and neck restraint systems. It is a small price to pay to save you head with a head and neck system, the same is true for the investment you have in your 993 engines, that is if you want to avoid losing your engines because of oil break down and heat.

Just a thought for those that are waffling because of a few hundred dollars......
Old 06-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evan,

Is the installation and the instructions you provide for a narrowbody or a widebody? Or is the installation identical for both cars?

How much more oil capacity is gained with your kit?
Old 06-09-2005, 08:14 PM
EThec
Racer

Default What about one in the center??

this FVD kit looks pretty clean. And the price seems fair to me for someone not willing to build their own kit.
Two coolers seems like more than I need, but I would like to add one of these mocal units one day to my car. If you were going to add just one, why wouldn't you mount it in the center of the front bumper as opposed to the side(passenger or driver)? I haven't pulled my bumper cover, but on my TT there's a nice size scoop in the center. It seems one cooler right there in the midddle would work nicely. Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread. I was just wondering.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:13 PM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by EThec
this FVD kit looks pretty clean. And the price seems fair to me for someone not willing to build their own kit.
Two coolers seems like more than I need, but I would like to add one of these mocal units one day to my car. If you were going to add just one, why wouldn't you mount it in the center of the front bumper as opposed to the side(passenger or driver)? I haven't pulled my bumper cover, but on my TT there's a nice size scoop in the center. It seems one cooler right there in the midddle would work nicely. Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread. I was just wondering.
If you do a bit of searching int he archives here you will find the answer to your question about a center cooler. the short of it is the air does not escape properly thus making the oil cooler less efficient.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:56 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I just put an order in for the FVD coolers. Wish I had the ability to replicate the Finn's awesome job but no such luck. I'm paying the extra $$ for the kit.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:38 PM
jayster
Instructor

Ron, the kit was prototyped on a turbo, and would work best with this nose
due to styling, the outer ducting nails the coolers. However will work just fine on all 964,965,993 and 993tt. As far as the question of need, there is no such thing as too much of some things in life,and in this case size does matter.
The added oil capacity of the system is approx. .33L per cooler, and a guesstimated .9L in the lines and fittings, for an approx. gain of 1.5L in capacity.
Also for comparison purposes, not really apples vs. oranges as the Turbo S type cooler used in "other kits" isn't nearly as efficient of a design to begin with, but also half the cross section of the superior cooler design. So by comparison, the FVD kit has 4 times the potential as a TurboS cooler alone, and twice the potential of a twin TurboS kit the "other guys" sell.
I saw the need for a better mouse trap, and designed one. So if you want the most bang for your buck, do the math. Also, what ever their warrantee is, mine is also twice as good, TWO years, unlimited mileage on coolers, lines, fittings, and hardware. Lifetime warrantee on workmanship. Again, thank you for your interest in our products. Peace, and Goodspeeds. Jayster.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:59 PM
EThec
Racer

Kary,
Thank you for the insight. I'll investigate this further when i consider whether or not to do my own or go with a kit. Either way, not doing anything today.... got to start saving!

Quick Reply: FVD Twin Oil cooler Group Buy