Sponsored by:

Techron cleared CEL - WE PASSED

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 11:16 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Techron cleared CEL - WE PASSED

For those that have seen me on this board before you will know I had a CEL issue and my emissions were due!!! Well I tried a few things (it was P410 SAI issue according to the Actron meter) but, after clearing codes, I have just run through one tank of gas with Techron in always kept revs high, CEL came on half way through tank, reset, finished tank and ran through one more tank with Techron...no CEL...thats over 400 miles now and no CEL when before it was coming on every 100 miles, sometimes less.....went to emissions test station with heart in month...please dont flip the CEL baby...connected to OBD.....wheeeeeeeeeee, straight pass....2 years peace!!!!

Thanks to all of you for your help and advice...esp whoever it was that recommended the Techron and high speed run!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

That's great news! I think a congrats is in order.

Which bottle of Techron did you use? The 20 oz or the smaller bottle?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:36 AM
dhicks
Drifting

I used the one that does 20 Gals...not sure how many Gals its was...but in my case two bottles in two tankfuls did the job....might not work for everybody.....I will now use Techron from here on in....every 3000 miles is the recommendations....anybody else do this over a long period, experiences?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 912 Likes on 550 Posts

The large bottle goes with our tank. I have used Chevron gas almost exclusively and the Techron before each oil change for 123K miles. Plenty of high revs, few short trips. Never had a CEL, although Bob at Devek said it looked close when he was doing the recent top end rebuild. I am surprised it cleared for you, when you see how tiny the SAI ports are in relation to the intake valve volume. How many miles do you have?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually use Techron or BG44K for the tank or two before an oil change. I also drive my car like I stole it - at all times. So far, no CEL at 47k miles.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:53 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Terry, mine has 81K miles.....I have got to believe that the CEL fault with the SAI must have been minimal so maybe the Techron just helped a little and for the short term...the main thing is that it passed so now I can wait a while before doing the top end .... maybe 18 months?? Depending on how things go.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:55 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Rick, how often do you cahnge oil, why do you only do just before oil change, what oil are you using here in Virg/ DC....I have just had an oil change (Mobil 1 15/50 ... now extended life). Do you do the changes yourself?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 912 Likes on 550 Posts

David, we do the Techron treatment just before the oil change so that all the dislodged crapola gets removed with the used oil.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:06 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Good point....maybe I should sacrifice some $$$ and redo oil change since I have just saved $$$$$$$$ by passing emissions.....did I say WE PASSED....can you tell I am over the moon
Old 06-06-2005, 12:07 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using the milder Techron in between oil changes. Its not the heavy duty kind but hopefully it will be preventive. I bought it at Costco, 4 for $6, it says Flo-Gard on it.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:52 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default other interval

How often do you do the "milder" Techron (with Flo-Gard )?

Last edited by pchak; 06-06-2005 at 12:53 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:25 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dhicks... out of curiosity, what is your oil consumption? my '96 is going in for a top end in two weeks with pretty clogged ports... I haven't owned mine long enough to know, though, whether I'm burning a lot of oil. I know my guides are out of spec, however.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Use of Techron as a gas additive is not going to resolve the SAI. There's no
technical basis for this, as Techron via a gas additive does not reduce oil
burning nor does it come in contact with the SAI ports. Using Techron as
a solvent in the ports, i.e. poured into the passages, may help dissolve the
carbon for subsequent cleaning.

Bottom line: Coincidental that using Techron gas fillups solved
the SAI problem and allowed the setting of readiness codes.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:48 PM
dhicks
Drifting

hmmmmmm.....then how do I account for the fact that until I used Techron the CEL was tripping between 50-100 miles....without fail...always same code, tried agressive driving to heat engine as somebody suggested ... no change.....two tankfuls with Techron additive, aggressive but not OTT driving and the problem is resolved...I know it might not make sense....but nothing else changed....As for burning oil, I do not think I am excessive, it was changed about 1000 miles ago and seems to still be close to max....well as much as I can read the dipstick with the clean fresh oil really difficult to see on the stick....and yes, car hot and on flat when checked.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:46 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i drop a bottle in now & then... no 'cel' issues ( from 16k to 36k mi.). also use their gas w/ techron, just heard it somewhere from someone.

btw: loren so techron will not help a car burn cleaner? (or clean the valves?) also, a few times when i've used i've actually seen dirty smoke blow & then turn clean when punching it a bit on the fwy. ---- just a coincident? what is the smoke? the product burning?

thx &

Quick Reply: Techron cleared CEL - WE PASSED