Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Engine Starts and Stops for 10 days - Harmful?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 09:29 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Quick Engine Starts and Stops for 10 days - Harmful?

I have several goodies that I am putting on my car this week... wide ovals, strut brace, HID, front protection bar, etc. I am also having the front nose clip resprayed and new 3M film installed.

The paint & body shop where my car is at has a policy that all Porches go inside the facility at night (they are very Porsche friendly, which is nice ) The problem is that this requires a short start-up to pull the car out every morning and a short start-up to put the car back inside at night. They anticipate having my car up to 10 days. Should I allow them to continue to do this, or just insist that they leave it outside?

I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place... this shop is really primo so I want them to do the work, but they are also very popular and very busy, so they will need to start up and turn off my car quickly twice every day for up to 10 days... yikes.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

It is nice they are pulling the car in every night. I don't think our cars are that fragile that some quick starts are going to damage them..........
Old 05-27-2005, 09:40 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be sure to take your car for an Italian tuneup once you get the work finished.

Car should be fine with them moving it around for the 10 days.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:44 PM
rockwoodfarm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great shop. I wouldn't worry about a few starts and stops it's not optimum but this limited period can't be too harmful
Old 05-27-2005, 09:48 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

thanks guys... you have made me feel better... this shop deals with primarily Ferraris and Porsches and they are very good... they just dont have a lot of air-cooled cars laying around, and I wasnt sure how much damage could be caused from the start/stops 2wice every day... thanks again for the feedback...
Old 05-27-2005, 09:54 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I have several goodies that I am putting on my car this week... wide ovals, strut brace, HID, front protection bar, etc. I am also having the front nose clip resprayed and new 3M film installed.

The paint & body shop where my car is at has a policy that all Porches go inside the facility at night (they are very Porsche friendly, which is nice ) The problem is that this requires a short start-up to pull the car out every morning and a short start-up to put the car back inside at night. They anticipate having my car up to 10 days. Should I allow them to continue to do this, or just insist that they leave it outside?

I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place... this shop is really primo so I want them to do the work, but they are also very popular and very busy, so they will need to start up and turn off my car quickly twice every day for up to 10 days... yikes.
Jonathan,
maybe they can push it in/out of the shop for you. Or perhaps drive it 30 minutes before putting it away, and after taking it out of the shop?
Old 05-27-2005, 10:33 PM
rainmn
Instructor

I'd be more concerned about the shop putting the 3M film on brand new paint than I would about them pulling the car in and out of the shop.
Don't they recommend allowing ~6 weeks for the paint to cure first?
Old 05-27-2005, 10:55 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

they told me only 3 days was necessary... does anyone that really knows paint have a different opinion?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:03 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,878 Likes on 2,406 Posts

all my installers tell me that repaints need 30 day cure time. YMMV.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:33 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm going to wait 2 months before clear bra installation. Don't want to lift the clearcoat/paint when the time comes to change the plastic cover...
Old 05-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
they told me only 3 days was necessary... does anyone that really knows paint have a different opinion?
Jonathan,
You need to ask you "primo" bodyshop more about this. Between them starting your car, and shutting it off 10 times in 5 days for a very short time, and then to find out at that they may apply the coating(?) or 3m layer without the paint being properyly set up....???

well anyway.....its your car....do with it has you please...

when are you supposed to bring it in to the shop? Is there anyway you can talk to the shop over the weekend? If it were me, I would be very concerned!..
Old 05-28-2005, 02:21 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

I waited about 6-8 weeks before applying the clear bra. I was told that it requires at least 30 days (and at least some of it outside in the sun) for new paint to properly cure. Remember that a clear bra is waterproof AND airproof, and is applied with a fairly strong adhesive.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:33 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Jonathan,

My body shop asked if I will be reapply a clear bra on my new bumper... he reccommended 90 days minimum.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:16 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fill
Jonathan,
You need to ask you "primo" bodyshop more about this. Between them starting your car, and shutting it off 10 times in 5 days for a very short time, and then to find out at that they may apply the coating(?) or 3m layer without the paint being properyly set up....???

well anyway.....its your car....do with it has you please...

when are you supposed to bring it in to the shop? Is there anyway you can talk to the shop over the weekend? If it were me, I would be very concerned!..
interesting the difference in opinion from the shop on this topic... i use the term "primo" because this shop is widely accepted in PCA region here, as well as amongst Ferrari enthusiasts as the only place for body/paint work in Dallas... they work primarily on Porsche/Ferrari, but do some BMWs also... they have been in business for over 20 yrs... having said all that, the 3 days sounds too short to me also...
Old 05-28-2005, 08:01 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Regarding clear bra, yes need to wait 60 to 90 days. And should keep car in sun a bit so paint really dries. If anyone tells you that the new bumper paint needs to be baked, and it is ok for less than that time is a mistake. You can not bake a plastic bumper like a metal car without melting it. If you put plastic on too soon, and need to remove later you will have a mess and remove the "new" paint.

Quick Reply: Quick Engine Starts and Stops for 10 days - Harmful?