Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another example of Dealer price insanity.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 06:09 PM
DrZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another example of Dealer price insanity.

Based on the advise of several local Listers I had Kevin perform my 15K service last year. Kevin is a great mechanic but unfortunately works for the Dealer again. I was told that both ballast resistors were bad and was quoted $700 to replace them!

I passed and was planning on doing it myself after getting them from Sunset for around $50. Since I needed my oil changed and brakes flushed, I decided to try Jeff Erickson out in Fullerton as he is located only minutes from my office. Very pleasantly surprised that the total was less than $300 for everthing and that Jeff and the other wrenches at the shop were very friendly and helpful. There are some great choices of mechanics here in OC and I am glad that I finally met Jeff as he is really convenient.

It must be tough for those who live in smaller markets that have no competent independants close by and thus must go to the dealer by default.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:36 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why I do all the DIY stuff myself... saves money and I don't trust anyone else working on my car. Hey... I can screw it up just as well as they can!!
Old 05-27-2005, 06:42 PM
DrZ
Racer

Labor for the resistors was only $85. Still can't get over that the dealer quoted me $700! But then again, that price included those rare precision tooled ballast resistors. What a deal!
Old 05-27-2005, 07:13 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with Kelly, and to make matters worse....? I have no dealer either. Closest one is over 2 hours away. Get good deals (and some freebies) on parts from an independant import dealer, but I will do my own work until I can't handle the task. Even then I'll come to my RL friends to hopefully walk me through whatever it is.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:19 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Closest one is over 2 hours away.
yeah, I forgot to mention... closest dealer to me is on another island.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Jeff @ Aase is great and he has a terrific reputation in the POC & PCA fraternities, too. Aase Motors has serviced countless championship winning cars.

Aloha, Kelly! Is the Porsche dealer you're referring to near Alo Moana? Have a great weekend, brah!
Old 05-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 348 Posts
Unhappy Dealer Cost

"I was told that both ballast resistors were bad and was quoted $700 to replace them!"

Gott en himmel...take off the front bumper cover, replace two resistors, $700? That seems a bit stiff.

I have had Kevin do work for me at Newport Auto..great guy, outstanding work, what can I say. I though their prices were reasonable, go figure.

Jeff Erickson @ Aase Motors, Fullerton, great shop...I recommend highly, too far from my house to get there.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:17 PM
DJD
Instructor

I was just at Jeffs today, I also work about two blocks away. (not a good thing, spend too much time looking at the race cars they work on)
They are very helpful and just plain great guys that know a ton about Porsches. The prices are fair and the work is done right!! No fancy lounge with a cappuccino machine, but the fridge is always filled with Corona.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:03 PM
993-CT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And some dealers are bigger stealers than others...

My local dealer - NewCountry in Greenwich CT quoted me $99 for a pair of hood struts!! I had to ask if they were gold plated since Sunset said $40 plus shipping!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 911
Jeff @ Aase is great and he has a terrific reputation in the POC & PCA fraternities, too. Aase Motors has serviced countless championship winning cars.

Aloha, Kelly! Is the Porsche dealer you're referring to near Alo Moana? Have a great weekend, brah!
Rich.....I went to Darin at WestEnd Alignment in Torrance yesterday. Just put new tires on and wanted to make sure the rear alignment was good. It was and he barely charged me for the check. He was a great find....thanks for the recommendation. Good independent mechanics are worth their weight in gold!
Old 05-28-2005, 12:20 AM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DJD
No fancy lounge with a cappuccino machine
LOL. They used to have one. Hose B stole it.

AASE takes car of my race car. I couldn't be happier.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:50 AM
rainmn
Instructor

The resistors are exactly $34.30 each from Sunset. I just so happen to have two on order right now.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:50 AM
DrZ
Racer

Martin. no knock on Kevin, it's just those "helpful" service advisors( AKA parts/labor brokers) that are the problem. When I bought a set of silver gauges a couple of years ago the SA told me that it would cost around $250 to exchange them because the SW and hub had to come off. Well I checked Robin's site and after a few emails felt confident in tackling my first DIY. Whew! that was tough pulling those gauges out and messing with those nasty plugs. Oh, and yeah I forgot to take the SW off so maybe I didn't do the job right? Seriously, I think it took me about 20 minutes!

I think I am going to stick with AAse now. Other than getting the top motors replaced, there isn't any reason to go back to NP Auto. Alright I admit it, I am really going to miss that vanilla 1/2 decafe cappucino. I guess a Corona will just have to do.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:54 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrZ
Martin. no knock on Kevin, it's just those "helpful" service advisors( AKA parts/labor brokers) that are the problem. When I bought a set of silver gauges a couple of years ago the SA told me that it would cost around $250 to exchange them because the SW and hub had to come off. Well I checked Robin's site and after a few emails felt confident in tackling my first DIY. Whew! that was tough pulling those gauges out and messing with those nasty plugs. Oh, and yeah I forgot to take the SW off so maybe I didn't do the job right? Seriously, I think it took me about 20 minutes!

I think I am going to stick with AAse now. Other than getting the top motors replaced, there isn't any reason to go back to NP Auto. Alright I admit it, I am really going to miss that vanilla 1/2 decafe cappucino. I guess a Corona will just have to do.
For some reasone DR. you don't strike me as the "Corona" type!...
Old 05-28-2005, 01:05 AM
DrZ
Racer

You're right! I just finished my second BrouCzech. A fantastic lager if you can find it. Trader Joes has it here in CA. Is Corona actually a beer or a limeade variation?

Quick Reply: Another example of Dealer price insanity.